Who gets credit for the interconnect upgrade war?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I thought this to be an interesting question tonight. Many an audio nut I know [myself included] started out with better IC's way back in the day with Monster cables. I was not alive back then and I can't find much on the subject, so I thought I'd ask.

Who actually does get credit for the introduction of a cable that is better than that of the Radio Shack cable?

Does anybody even know? Who started it all?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I thought this to be an interesting question tonight. Many an audio nut I know [myself included] started out with better IC's way back in the day with Monster cables. I was not alive back then and I can't find much on the subject, so I thought I'd ask.

Who actually does get credit for the introduction of a cable that is better than that of the Radio Shack cable?

Does anybody even know? Who started it all?

Bob Fulton?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes :) http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue1/mainterview.htm

This is the quote from the interview:

I also met Bob Fulton, of Fulton Audio. Among all audiophile engineers in the world, and among all so-called audio gadgets for tweaking systems, Bob Fulton was the number one man—and I think he’s still the number one man, though he died some ten years ago. He first came up with the "crazy" audiophile cable, so thick, so hard, but it sounded so good. And nobody believed it. And he came up with audiophile interconnect, and with (a product) for the turntable. Later on he came up with small cables (for phono cartridges.) So he was the first high-end audiophile (cable) man at that time. Because most didn’t believe that cable makes a difference. Even David Hafler—I checked with David and said, "This is Fulton cable." He said, "All cable is the same! As long as you get good connections." said, "No, this is the best!" He said, "No… " I still remember this!

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Bob Fulton!
From my memory, Fulton was on the front edge of the cable wave in North America but it was a French audio reviewer who was given credit for earlier publishing thoughts on this new frontier.
Can't quote the actual source.
I have no ;-) doubt they were making better wire as well back during the golden era of tube manufacturing. But in this era where most electronics was hand built could they not be some engineer who may have noticed, what to me seems reasonable to assume that there is a difference in wire and or cable and whose voice was just not heard?
Hope this confusion helps!
Mostly likely any old fart who can remember may have already passed on.
After all, haven't there always been"golden ears"?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bob Fulton!
From my memory, Fulton was on the front edge of the cable wave in North America but it was a French audio reviewer who was given credit for earlier publishing thoughts on this new frontier.
Can't quote the actual source.
I have no ;-) doubt they were making better wire as well back during the golden era of tube manufacturing. But in this era where most electronics was hand built could they not be some engineer who may have noticed, what to me seems reasonable to assume that there is a difference in wire and or cable and whose voice was just not heard?
Hope this confusion helps!
Mostly likely any old fart who can remember may have already passed on.
After all, haven't there always been"golden ears"?

Jean Hiraga is the French reviewer/designer you're referring to :)

Not sure about the actual timing. See back then, we were a pretty isolated world and things going on over the big pond didn't make it here and vice versa :)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Bob Fulton was the first that I knew about. He was the orriginator for all of us in the NY hifi scene. He had some strange ideas and some stranger ways to sell it. Zoo's and animal research were the keys behind it. You had to be there LOL

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
My first high end cable was from Be Yamamura.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It would be nice if posters could quote approximate dates for these events! :cool:

The Audioquest site includes some interesting information about the appearance of high-end audio cables in the USA:

http://www.audioquest.com/about/

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have a pair of Fulton Gold speaker cables and several Fulton interconnects from the late 70's or early 80's. Can't nail it down tighter at the moment, sorry. They are in a box in the basement and I can't find the paperwork (for them or anything else from my last great system before a major revamp a few years ago).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That was a cool read, microstrip. Thank you, sir.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing