Impact Wrench

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys.

My son wants an impact wrench for Christmas. He swaps his own tires for winter/summer and likes a power tool. So what do you all recommend? Harbor Freight as usual has ridiculously cheap ones. The reviews are mostly positive. Then there is the one everyone talks about: Ingersoll-Rand.

The IR 231C goes for $120 or so. The HF ones well under a $100.

I will probably use the tool also with my yard equipment/tractor and such. All in all though, the use will be light duty.

Any words of wisdom or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And oh, if you think the cordless ones are a better bet, chime in with that. Right now, I am shying away due to much higher cost although the portability would be quite nice.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have a lot of Craftsman tools because they are fairly inexpensive, decently made, and there's a Sears store everywhere if there's a problem.

IR makes a range of them; $120 sounds on the low end but for that use should be plenty. BUT, be wary of going too "light duty", especially with things like a little tractor around. I have lots of "pro" grade tools that see very little use, but when I need them I need more than the "girlie" version (sorry ladies!)

My problem with cordless is that the batteries wear out quickly in light-duty applications. They drain all the way down, aren't ready when I need them, and then won't take a charge after a year or two. Bah. Especially for a high-power (if light-duty) application I'd get corded and deal with it. Actually, my impact wrench's cord is an air line... :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Don. The issue is my compressor. I have a decent sized one but it only puts out 5 SCFM at 90 PSI so that's why I am looking at half inch wrenches. The 3/4 seems to need 6 to 7 SCFM. I rather get a 3/4 but worried about not having enough air flow to drive it.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have the same issue (spent $400, not $1200 for my compressor; should'a' known!) Actually, I think mine puts out that much flow, but I don't have a tractor (moved off the farm) so a 1/2" is plenty for me. I'd get a decent corded model and be done with it.

I have not checked prices nor reviews lately, but when I last looked (a few years ago) there was a $150 IR and similar Craftsman ($200, $150 on sale) that was a step above the 4100 entry models. I seriously considered one, but couldn't justify another since I have the air-job.

A friend of mine bought a top-of-the-line IR for like $450 last year; another engineer, and he has the best of everything, you'd love him. :)

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Finally a topic I can participate in! :D

The HF Earthquake ones are ok but like you said, there really is only one to look at- Ingersoll Rand; more specifically the composite line of impacts. I think for his needs the 1/2" 2130 (550 ft/lbs) should be sufficient to break loose pretty much any lug nut or bolt he should encounter. A 3/4" model would be way overkill!

I have a 3/8"drive 300 ft/lbs model that I use daily and it has enough torque to loosen and tighten any bolts and lug nuts that aren't excessively corroded. You would get better bang for the buck with a 1/2" model though.

Another nice plus to the composite line of impact wrenches are that they are really easy to service and rebuild. According to my Matco tool guy, they are by far the easiest ones to service. In the 8 years of abuse my impact has only ever needed the drive end replaced (this summer) and it literally took me about 10 minutes to do it.

As far as a battery operated impact goes, my friend has a older 18v 1/2" drive Milwaukee. It's rather large and slightly heavy but it too has quite a bit of torque to do many jobs with ease. The downside is that they are rather expensive and the relatively short battery life can be aggravating when you have to stop and recharge the battery in the middle of a project.

In addition to the impact, you might want to also pick up a torque stick set so he can properly torque his wheels without having to pull out a torque wrench. They are quite handy!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The only 3/4" tools I have are for tractors, and Amir said he has a tractor, thus the 3/4" requirement. Of course, those cost much more, but when the torque says "600 ft-lbs" you sort-of need 3/4" to keep the sockets from snapping... Which reminds me, Amir, I guess you know you need special sockets for an impact wrench? Regular ones will shatter, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, and always in the most scary of ways. Trust me on this.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. Yes Don, I read about needing special sockets and was going to buy a set to go with that. But keep the safety advice coming. I also read to not put a quick couple at the gun. All my air tools have one right now. Can't figure out why this would be dangerous. Worse that can happen is that the tool rotates with trapped air but what damage would that do?

Roger, that is the unit I am looking at right now. There is a quiet version I am eyeing. The 2135QTIMAX: http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ran...m-Impactool/dp/B000WMR8H4/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Matt, those torque sticks are nice! Didn't know they existed. I will get a set.

Wish I had more use for this and then I would go for the best and not regret it. This infrequent use is killing me :).

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Harbor Freight for the home/occasional user. They have really good customer service if you ever have a problem. Having said that, I had a Corvette a few years back and rotated my own tires because I didn't trust the tire dealer to not mark the rims. I went to a pawn shop and picked up a couple of Ingersol Rand air wrenches just for this purpose. I still have them (14 years now) and they work well with my Porter Cable portable twin stack air compressor. The battery operated tools have come a long way in just the past 5 years and I see a lot of pros using them. But if you don't need the portability of the battery, the air tools are going to be less expensive over time and you don't have to worry about the battery charge all the time.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Good safety goggles.

I have not seen this but was told by a mechanic friend that a quick disconnect can be jarred loose in operation as it gets old (due to the hammer action), or knocked loose by the user (mistake). Either way, if the disconnect doesn't shut off the hose goes flying, which it may anyway, and the sudden drop in air can make the wrench jump and cause damage to hands. The first reason is the one he said was why manufacturers (?) say no quick disconnect at the wrench end.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
We use them quite a lot in the industrial plants were I work , Ingersoll rand is a well known brand .
We use red rooster / Beta http://www.rami-yokota.com/en/brands/red-roosterindustrial grade , the stuff is virtually indestructible , very handy and convenient tool , after you've used it there is no going back , usually you have 3 selectionswitches low medium strong torque and reverse .
As said always keep an eye on the hose connections ,for disconnection better is to close the air , start the tool until the hose is empty then disconnect .
Keep your fingers away from the nut those machines deliver very strong torque .
One of the most valued/handy tools in the bizz , they come also in X tra large version for up to 80 -100 mm nut width , 2 hands holding only
They operate around 6- 8 bar airpressure with sufficient airflow so I suppose a adequate compressor is needed
You don't need special nut sockets as long as they are high quality chrome vanadium steel (snap on for example ), special impact sockets we use from around M 20 and higher
http://www.rami-yokota.com/en/products?p=RRI-1060
This one delivers 4500 Nm:D and can handle up to M 52 (mm )

We usually work with airtools , mainly because a lot are high risk explosion environments , no electric (non EX ) equipment allowed

Last edited:

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Amir,
Put your $$$ into a high quality hydraulic jack.
You do everything right in audio, and then you help your son do this wrong.
Do NOT use an impact wrench.
Break the nuts loose with a hand breaker bar.
Then any 18 volt drill can spin off the nuts [ & spin on the nuts].
For installation use a quality hand Torque Wrench.
Best to you,
zz.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Thanks Don. The issue is my compressor. I have a decent sized one but it only puts out 5 SCFM at 90 PSI so that's why I am looking at half inch wrenches. The 3/4 seems to need 6 to 7 SCFM. I rather get a 3/4 but worried about not having enough air flow to drive it.

That should be sufficient.

Edit: zztop7's reply is very good.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I bet amirim already bought something in the meantime .
A battery powered impact wrench would probably be more practical , these battery powered ones are very strong /robust these days and no need for hoses / powerfull compressors , so more freedom of use

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did. I got a harbor freight one on sale and it cost so little. I also got the torque sticks that Matt mentioned. Well, turns out my son has never used the impact wrench anyway! He got a long handled torque wrench and is using that. The reason I wanted a power tool is that he often has to change his tires on the eve of it snowing here so it may be in the dark/cold and such and I wanted to make the process faster for him.

I recently bought a 20 volt Dewalt Impact wrench. Can these be used for heavy duty work like lug nuts? The chuck seems pretty small on it. It is a brushless unit by the way so it has a bit more power/efficiency.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I did. I got a harbor freight one on sale and it cost so little. I also got the torque sticks that Matt mentioned. Well, turns out my son has never used the impact wrench anyway! He got a long handled torque wrench and is using that. The reason I wanted a power tool is that he often has to change his tires on the eve of it snowing here so it may be in the dark/cold and such and I wanted to make the process faster for him.

I recently bought a 20 volt Dewalt Impact wrench. Can these be used for heavy duty work like lug nuts? The chuck seems pretty small on it. It is a brushless unit by the way so it has a bit more power/efficiency.

I don't see why you couldn't use it. We have some 18v Makita impact drivers at work and I have a 18v Ryobi; both have a surprising amount of torque. They hold a candle to my friend's 18v Milwaukee 1/2" battery impact, but then again, they are made for different jobs. Just be careful as sometimes it can be pretty hard to determine just how tight you're getting a fastener.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I don't see why you couldn't use it. We have some 18v Makita impact drivers at work and I have a 18v Ryobi; both have a surprising amount of torque. They hold a candle to my friend's 18v Milwaukee 1/2" battery impact, but then again, they are made for different jobs. Just be careful as sometimes it can be pretty hard to determine just how tight you're getting a fastener.

Please, use a torque wrench. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing