New shoes for my speakers

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well, maybe new feet anyway. I have a pair of Def Tech BP7000SC speakers and while I love the speakers, I have never been happy with the feet arrangement. The speakers come with 4 outriggers for each speaker which get screwed to the bottom of the speaker. Then you screw in those cheap skinny spikes to the outriggers and you're done. Except for the fact they aren't very stable.

Galen Carol sells "outrigger speaker stabilizers" in a number of lengths. I thought they looked awesome from the pictures and appeared to be just what the doctor ordered so I bought a set of them (4 pieces) and they arrived today in the mail. These stabilziers are designed smartly and made strongly. The stabilizers have grooves milled into them in order to pick up the screw threads located in the bottom of your speakers. The stabilizers lined up perfectly with my screw threads on the bottom of my speakers and bolted right up. This is the best system I've had for these speakers. They look like they were stock from the factory and they are super stable and you can level them perfectly.

For $235 delivered to my door, I'm a happy camper.

Attachments

• speaker feet..jpg
    speaker feet..jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,229

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did you put Blu-Tak between your outriggers and your speakers?

Just kidding! :D:D:D

Congratulations on the new shoes Mark :)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I find the outrigger idea good in principle, in the sense that the speaker is nominally more stable in the side to side direction. My concern with the devices as shown in the photo are that they may possibly not be quite sturdy enough, personally I would try pushing the speaker from side to side to see if there was any give or flex in the metal, or bounce when you released the pressure. The Blu-Tack, apart from providing humour to bystanders, would be crucial if I were doing it, otherwise the coupling of the speaker to outrigger, and thence floor would be poorer, negating a lot of the benefit of the outrigger ...

Frank

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I thought Blu-Tack was to help dampen/isolate, i.e. decouple, things? Wouldn't it be better to have them tightly connected (coupled) to the speakers if you want to stop movement?

Anyway, glad something went right for a change, Mark, so enjoy! - Don

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did sound quality improve?

Why yes it did. Everything became more focused and has greater clarity. By the way, I lied on my Krell Saga thread yesterday. I said I wan't going to listen to the KSA-250 until I knocked out the hum/buzz issue. That lasted for about an hour last night and I had to put the KSA-250 back in the starting lineup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing