My time with Avalon speakers

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
After owning the Eclipses I was interested in SET amplification, so I moved on, sold the CJ/Avalon setup and stayed in the SET world for some years, during that time I had several speakers like Avantgarde, Sonus Faber and WLM with different sorts of amplification, until I received a call from the former Avalon distributor to offer me his personal Avalon Ascent II speakers - so I came back home.

Last edited:

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
I think Pass Labs hits a sweetspot in the 100 and 160 models. I haven't cozied up to the 200 model. For the ISIS to really sing, you need at least 300 - 500 watts and Pass won't do that. The needles moved even with the Wilsons. I really love the Pass sound and didn't want to get on another amp rollercoaster!

Hello

you should go for the 200,5,,, I have tried most off models off pass labs on Avalon Isis ED Indra Time... the 200,5 have most more power then you need to Isis, trust me on that.
best
vassagohifi.com

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The ML333 is a very subtle but relevant improvent over de 140W/ch Symphonic Line Integrated, so this comment can be also related to the "How much power do we really need" somewhere else here at WBF:

There is not a perceived difference in headroom or dynamic contrast comparing both amps, but when the music demands it, the ML333 has that extra reserve needed to keep composture and aplomb. Each amps has his signature of course, the ML is more neutral than the SL, which adds some extra midbass energy that is pleasing but not faithfull to the recording.

It is really surprising how the Avalons disappear in the soundstage created, instruments retain their original size, colour and tone, transients are brilliant with slow decays, shinning at its best with acoustic material.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The ML333 is a very subtle but relevant improvent over de 140W/ch Symphonic Line Integrated, so this comment can be also related to the "How much power do we really need" somewhere else here at WBF:

There is not a perceived difference in headroom or dynamic contrast comparing both amps, but when the music demands it, the ML333 has that extra reserve needed to keep composture and aplomb. Each amps has his signature of course, the ML is more neutral than the SL, which adds some extra midbass energy that is pleasing but not faithfull to the recording.

It is really surprising how the Avalons disappear in the soundstage created, instruments retain their original size, colour and tone, transients are brilliant with slow decays, shinning at its best with acoustic material.

Are you still using the Siltech wires with the 333? I'm not a huge fan of silver, or blends, though Siltech is one of the better cables. When I had the 333, I found the Transparent cables to be a great match. You might see if you could get your hands on some just to try. I think that might bring out more of the strengths of the 333.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Are you still using the Siltech wires with the 333? I'm not a huge fan of silver, or blends, though Siltech is one of the better cables. When I had the 333, I found the Transparent cables to be a great match. You might see if you could get your hands on some just to try. I think that might bring out more of the strengths of the 333.

Yeap.. Still using Siltech Myles, but many are now pushing me hard to try Stealth instead, I might try some other options as you point out! Thanks...

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
After owning the Eclipses I was interested in SET amplification, so I moved on, sold the CJ/Avalon setup and stayed in the SET world for some years, during that time I had several speakers like Avantgarde, Sonus Faber and WLM with different sorts of amplification, until I received a call from the former Avalon distributor to offer me his personal Avalon Ascent II speakers - so I came back home.

Nice system..

Next week I will get my Isis,, so the whole christmas I will listning to Time and ISIS:::

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice system..

Next week I will get my Isis,, so the whole christmas I will listning to Time and ISIS:::

What else are you using with your Avalons? And welcome to the forum!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice system..

Wow! Congrats! Let us know how it sounds!!!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nice system..

Thanks vassago (I did reply your PM)....

Let us know your comments on both, I have a little more time in front of the Isis than to the Time under familiar setups.

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
What else are you using with your Avalons? And welcome to the forum!

Hello

I use Pass labs and sometime accuphase,, and audio aero same with cardas,,, I have used many different brands on Avalon... I have the new Mega amp from pass labs in order, so my setup will be XP30 XS150 and Isis/Time,,, so 2012 will be a good year...

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Thanks vassago (I did reply your PM)....

Let us know your comments on both, I have a little more time in front of the Isis than to the Time under familiar setups.

I have had the Isis before,, so I know this speaker, and I like them,,, when I have the $ I whant the new sentinel, I think it will be in 2013, the problem is I like motorbikes too and I have to bay a new one next year, when I have the time I will put in a lot off pictures off avalon setup here in denmark on my facebook profil...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hello
I will, now I play with Pass 60,5 and audio aero, but next week I will play with Pass labs XA100,5 and XP30 and audio aero la source and MIT MAX cabels..
But I can said out off the box it is so nice sound...

Good-luck! I didn't have much luck with dynamic music using my XA-100.5 amps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello

I will, now I play with Pass 60,5 and audio aero, but next week I will play with Pass labs XA100,5 and XP30 and audio aero la source and MIT MAX cabels..

But I can said out off the box it is so nice sound...

Hi Vassago,

Did you hear the Audio Aero La Source? i would appreciate your comments, particularly (if you can) in comparison to other digital sources. I have been offered one today. I am familiar with:
- Krell evo 505
- ARC CD 3, 5, 7, 8
- Zanden (own DAC)
- Esoteric X-01SE
- Emm Labs CDSA
- Stahl-Tek
- DCS (Scarlatti and Elgar)
- Wadia 7

i am considering trading in some older equipment that i have recently upgraded...and getting Zanden Transport to go with my Zanden DAC (for which i have yet to find a replacement that is as musical even though a few of the pieces i mention above are far more clean, quiet and detailed)..and waiting for a while before going with a hi-res DAC system. But this opportunity has been presented to me, so i thought i would at least get some opinion! thanks for any guidance!

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Hi Vassago,

Did you hear the Audio Aero La Source? i would appreciate your comments, particularly (if you can) in comparison to other digital sources. I have been offered one today. I am familiar with:
- Krell evo 505
- ARC CD 3, 5, 7, 8
- Zanden (own DAC)
- Esoteric X-01SE
- Emm Labs CDSA
- Stahl-Tek
- DCS (Scarlatti and Elgar)
- Wadia 7

i am considering trading in some older equipment that i have recently upgraded...and getting Zanden Transport to go with my Zanden DAC (for which i have yet to find a replacement that is as musical even though a few of the pieces i mention above are far more clean, quiet and detailed)..and waiting for a while before going with a hi-res DAC system. But this opportunity has been presented to me, so i thought i would at least get some opinion! thanks for any guidance!

Hello

Yes I have sold 5 off them, the last Two I sold was to owner off DSC Scarlatti, I have heard against the krell EVO Eosteric DCS waidia I sell that,, ARC CD7 and 8, burremister MBL Aero La Source is most better, more musical and the preamp in s good,, you to hay a lot off money the get I preamp like this,

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Wow! Congrats! Let us know how it sounds!!!

Hello

About the sound.

The ISIS is the best speaker the make.... and then the ED and Indra, the new models has more bass,, some like it, others do not
The Isis has the total control over the bass and have just a most better soundstages,,, I have the Isis Time ED Indra in now.. I like to have more models so I can hear the difference....and it's fun ...:)....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing