Capacitors Demystified!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
capacitors demys&#116.jpg

Engineering 101.

Makes sense to me!

But there are somethings inside in the capacitor not like the symbol is empty , that things make AC pass in different speeds of different frequencies, that will make sound quality change
tony ma

Great!

What is DC, it is AC with a frequency of 0.
If the frequency increases it becomes less and less like DC.
So a cap functions as a high pass filter.
Look like I invented the crossover!

daily_picdump_847_79.jpg

I think that is such an awesome visual depiction of what is really going on! I'm impressed and laughing at the same time!

I remember my time back in the university and visualizing electric (and electronic) behaviour to some extent as water flowing.

I want to add copper /silver (air ) coils , they form a resistence for AC through selfinduction so simply said they filter out the low freqs by blocking high freqs , the lower the freq the lower the resistance .
Together with the above caps they form the basis of crossover freq tuning , you ll find them in almost any LS .
Core coils needs lesser windings to reach the same induction as compared to air core coils, but have also a disadvantage

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing