VPI HRX vs Oracle Delphi MK 6

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi,

A friend of mine is currently using a VPI HRX (w/ SDS, Periphery Ring)w/ a JMW 12.6 arm using a Koetsu Black cartridge. He recently acquired an Oracle Delphi MK 6 w/ the Turbo power supply.He installed an SME 309 tonearm and a Benz Ruby cartridge . He told me he was having thoughts of selling the HRX bec. he thinks the oracle is the better table ,but I discouraged him because IMO its a step down and not an upgrade nor is it a lateral move.How about you guys in the forum what do you think? BTW his system consist of the following ARC Ref Phono 2, ARC Ref Anniversary Line stage, ARC Ref 250 monoblocks. Currently using Avalon Ascent Speakers alternating w/ the Sonus faber Amati. Cables are MIT's TOL models and Shunyata Power King Cobra Cables

thanks in advance,

tdh888

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi tdh888,

It's hard to say that it's a step down or downgrade if the owner actually likes it better. And the arm and cartridge combinations are different for both rigs that maybe the Oracle combo sounds much to his liking. Did he say how the Oracle rig was better? In what way?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It feels like he's got a lot more to gain my getting a better cartridge for his VPI

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would swap the cartridges between turntables before taking any decision. I do not know the age of his Koetsu black, but I have seen a few old Koetus that were great sounding miserable after 20 years of life, and the owners were astonished with the improvements when they replaced them.
In the 90s , my preferred Koetsu was the rosewood signature.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Thanks Jadis ,ACK ,and Microstrip for the reply,

Jadis,The owner of both the Oracle & VPI said that he wants a softly sprung turntable like the Oracle bec .of the more dynamic ,and less blacker background that he prefers. He also noted that there was smearing in the HRX setup w/c I think can be attributed to the Koetsu that his using. One more thing he likes the looks of the Oracle and he always dream of owning one.

ACK I think your right he should get a better cartridge than the Koetsu Black that's his using now. Maybe a more lively sounding cartridge or a higher model Koetsu. Any other cartridge suggestion for the HRX?

Microstrip your right we should do what you suggested since he currently has both of this turntable.

tdh888

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI tdh,
I have no experience with the VPI but I do have an Oracle Delphi V with the Black Granite base and the Turbo Power Supply. I think it is a great turntable. Is the new one better? Don't know.

As for the Koetsu Black, I have owned one in the past and was not impressed at all. In fact I was so unimpressed that I concluded that that I would never buy a Koetsu of any stripe. The basic sonic character is just not my style. I did think think the Black had good bass.

Sparky

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Keotsu's were a medium output MCs - tipically between 0.3 and 0.6 mV - and step up transformers were needed with some preamplfiers that did not have gain enough or were too noisy - the ARC SP8 was one of them. Some people preferred to use them with transformers. Koetsu sold one transformer, but it was not very well considered - I used the Cotter by Michell Cotter and later a fantastic silver wired Kiseki I still regret having sold. But most of the time I used the Koetsu's directly with a Jeff Rowland Coherence One mk2 and the SP10.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Isn't your friend noticing a little bass missing with the Oracle? Did I read you correctly that your friend likes a less black background? In the end, it really doesn't matter what you prefer or what we prefer, it only matters what your friend prefers because it's his money and his system and his ears. And he has some really fine gear.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shouldn't the Koetsus be used going through step-up transformers?
Could it be the reason of the unsatisfactory performance?

Hi docvale,

The Koetsu Black, Rosewood, Rosewood Signature and Urushi have medium output at around 0.4mv. All platinum magnet models are around 0.2mv and I would recommend these low output models to be used with a step up transformer. I have a few friends who use the Koetsu SUT and they love it. It of course adds gain, but most importantly gives ease and increases dynamics without adding more noise. Another friend tells me it gives a more full-bodied' presentation of the mids without changing the 'signature' of the Koetsu cartridge. I have used a Black and a Rosewood Signature on my ARC SP14 and PH3 without any transformer and I am quite satisfied with its performance. The gain level on my Jadis JPL line stage runs at the range of 10 to 1 o'clock on its rotary dial.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I do not know the age of his Koetsu black, but I have seen a few old Koetus that were great sounding miserable after 20 years of life,

I used my old Black for about 8 years and it played great all throughout its stay with me. Tracking and sound quality was quite consistent. I don't know if any cartridge will still sound great after 20 years but a few signs for replacement, or rebuilding would be a barely visible stylus, low riding cantilever, tracking distortions or a sudden deterioration in sound quality. Long time ago, a cartridge demagnetizer was available and I tried it, it cleaned up the sound a bit but after a while, things got back to what it used to be.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He also noted that there was smearing in the HRX setup w/c I think can be attributed to the Koetsu that his using. One more thing he likes the looks of the Oracle and he always dream of owning one.

If I'm not mistaken the VPI JMW is a unipivot design and I have feedbacks here that suggest Koetsus do not mate well with this kind of design. I have heard Koetsus mating well with Triplanar and SME tonearms. And, I am one of those too who like the looks of the Oracle TT. I seriously considered the Delphi III back then but it had motor reliability problems.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Isn't your friend noticing a little bass missing with the Oracle? Did I read you correctly that your friend likes a less black background? In the end, it really doesn't matter what you prefer or what we prefer, it only matters what your friend prefers because it's his money and his system and his ears. And he has some really fine gear.

Thanks mep for your reply. Thats what I told him. Yes he likes a less black background w/c for me is a character of softly sprung turntables He prefers it lesser black background for him it sounds a tad dry. At the end of the day its his money & all we can do is just give our opinion. His our ARC dealer in our country,has been a friend of mine since the mid 80's during med school.

Thanks Karma for your reply. Im a little bias to the VPI because I own one. The first Oracle I heard was a MK1 and Im not impressed. IMO my Gryrodec MK1 back then was a better turntable back then and had a lower price. I hve not heard the newer Oracles though.

To docvale and microstrip I use to own a Koetsu Black during the late 80's. It drove my ARC SP6E w/ a Entre MC 100 step up transformer set a 3 ohms. It sound good to me at 1st but when I upgraded to the SP10MK2 the former sounds colored,hard and bloated. I prefer using the Koetsu straight to my preamps (SP10 MK2 & SP11MK2) and set at 47K . It sounds good in my system unloaded.

tdh888

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If I'm not mistaken the VPI JMW is a unipivot design and I have feedbacks here that suggest Koetsus do not mate well with this kind of design. I have heard Koetsus mating well with Triplanar and SME tonearms. And, I am one of those too who like the looks of the Oracle TT. I seriously considered the Delphi III back then but it had motor reliability problems.

Same here, although I'll likely never own one. Heard their new Paris at the TAVE Show in Montreal and it sounded really nice, although with so many people in the room chatting away and stuff it was difficult to really gauge how good it was. Jacques Reindeau did tell me that a lot of the Oracle technology was applied in the development of the Paris table and felt it offers terrific value for the retail price tag of $5,000. I have no doubt it does, and the paris is certainly not out of my pricerange if/when the time comes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'd definitely look for a much better cartridge. Black tends to be dark, slow and not much happening at the extremes :( Lyras, Benzs, Clearaudios all work well in the VPI arm. Or if stuck on the Koetsu and have the bucks, investigate the stone bodied Koetsus.

I think that would be better than selling the HRX and getting the Classic 3.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Long time ago, a cartridge demagnetizer was available and I tried it, it cleaned up the sound a bit but after a while, things got back to what it used to be.

Some known manufacturers, such as van den Hul advise against using demagnetizers on cartridges. From the VDH site:

" The van den Hul stance on degaussing is well known, but perhaps misunderstood. While A. J. won't debate that a cartridge may sound better immediately after demagnetizing, he insists that overall performance degrades with every application. The main concern with frequent use of a cartridge demagnetizer like the Sumiko Flux Buster or the AudioQuest DM-1000 is the gradual breakdown of the magnetic complexes of the armature, which weaken the magnet. Repeated degaussing eventually robs the magnet of its strength, resulting in gradual and consistent loss of resolving power."

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Some known manufacturers, such as van den Hul advise against using demagnetizers on cartridges. From the VDH site:

" The van den Hul stance on degaussing is well known, but perhaps misunderstood. While A. J. won't debate that a cartridge may sound better immediately after demagnetizing, he insists that overall performance degrades with every application. The main concern with frequent use of a cartridge demagnetizer like the Sumiko Flux Buster or the AudioQuest DM-1000 is the gradual breakdown of the magnetic complexes of the armature, which weaken the magnet. Repeated degaussing eventually robs the magnet of its strength, resulting in gradual and consistent loss of resolving power."

I wouldn't argue against that. De-magnetizing implied just that. No wonder these products have practically died out. I once had a Luxman demag that was so easy to use. Just stick your headshell with cart into it. Push a button and red light goes on and then stops automatically. Well, so much for something that can harm the cartridge eventually.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wouldn't argue against that. De-magnetizing implied just that. No wonder these products have practically died out. I once had a Luxman demag that was so easy to use. Just stick your headshell with cart into it. Push a button and red light goes on and then stops automatically. Well, so much for something that can harm the cartridge eventually.

Somewhere, a while back on WBF, I posted a letter from Jonathan Carr on the subject. It was very elucidating and contrast to AJ's opinion. Certainly no one can question Jonathan's credentials.

Here's Jonathan's post from Audio Asylum some years ago:

Long reply from J.Carr

Posted by Noam on April 11, 2001 at 16:31:55
In Reply to: to demag, or not to demag? posted by clay-boy on April 11, 2001 at 14:35:18:

You might be sorry you asked! I don't think too many people have more knowledge on this subject than Jonathan. I hope he doesn't mind this quote (verbatim from another list) - I kept it for reference and I think he's way too busy to read the forums these days.
Noam

-------------------

Some comments on fluxbusting.

First, fluxbusting was "invented" by Luxman, and they released a
battery-powered unit in Japan which was copied in short order by
Namiki (the cantilever and sometimes cartridge maker). The Sumiko
unit was a rebadged Namiki.

When you fluxbust, you are trying to get rid of a rather local and
small-scale form of residual or remnant magnetism of the coil former
- perhaps you could refer to it as "stray magnetism." You cannot
really affect the large-scale magnetic polarization of the coil
former, as this is defined by the fact that it is suspended in a
stonking powerful magnetic field.

DC leakage from the phono stage, measuring your cartridge with a
testor, DC level shifts caused when you cue a cartridge, and to a
certain extent, even the act of playing an assymetrical waveform (as
can be found on most LPs) will cause corresponding current to flow in
the coils, and this can impart a certain amount of residual magnetism
in the coil former around which the coils are wound. Now, you don't
really want the former to be a magnet in its own right (although you
do want the magnetic field in the gap (H) to induce magnetism (B) in
the core), because if it were, it would interact with the primary
magnet field gap and move erratically (especially if the magnetic
field in the gap is not entirely uniform or symmetrical, which is a
pretty common problem with traditional-style magnetic circuits.)

Also note that remnant magnetization can shift the coil-former's
magnetic bias away from the most linear point in the B-to-H
magnetization response curve, although this is normally accounted for
(we hope).

Are the leakage currents flowing in coils enough to cause local
magnetization of the coil former? As indicated above, in any case,
the degree would be rather small. But again, the details in an LP
groove are pretty small, too. Judging from the sonic before-and-after
effects, something along the lines of the above is likely going on.

I think that ClearAudio winds their coils directly on the cantilever
(fore and aft of the suspension pivot point), so as far as I know,
there is no permeable core to warrant fluxbusting. In other words,
not much return for the risk.

Also, ClearAudio does use thin wire and lots of it, so perhaps you
can burn out their coils if you pump too much power through them.
Remember that when the wire diameter is halved, you have less than
1/4 the conducting area (because the insulation thickness cannot be
reduced beyond a certain point, unless you want insulation pinholes
and broken coils). "Coil rattling" is likely an excessively
picturesque phrase to describe what could happen, but if importer
tells you DON'T, and you want to keep your warranty, I see no reason
to ignore Joe's warnings.

I don't have that much repair data on other manufacturer's products,
but I dare say that most coils are broken due to assembly issues
(lack of stress relief), chemical reaction through insulation
pinholes, physical handling (poking in the wrong place is an obvious
no-no, but if you drop a cartridge or hit it with a sharp, intense
blast of air, you can crack a coil, even if the cantilever appears
intact).

I believe that Van den Hul has stated that degaussing reduces the
number of magnetic complexes in the permeable core. While I am not
going to dismiss this issue out-of-hand, it should be noted that it
will be material-dependent. I don't know what AJ uses, but it is true
that permalloys (especially the 78 - 80% stuff) are pretty sensitive
to this sort of thing. Other materials are not, including the
chemically purified 5N iron used by ourselves and Koetsu, I believe.

Certain magnets are prone to easy demagnetization - namely Alnico. If
you wish to play it safe, you may want to avoid fluxbusting these
designs (which include the Denon 103 family). Samarium cobalt,
neodymium, presidymium and other rare-earth magnets are probably safe
enough. A special case is the platinum magnet currently used in the
top-line Koetsus. It behaves (and sounds) like a super Alnico, but it
isn't nearly as prone to demagnetization. We used it for years on the
first-generation Parnassus, and it didn't seem to mind fluxbusting in
the least.

Stewart wrote:

>The old Sumiko Fluxbuster and the new Aesthetic demagnetizer work on
>the same basic principle where a small AC signal is applied to the
>VC and it effectively demagnetizes the pole piece upon which the
>coils are wound.<

No, the only MC that has coils wound on the polepiece is the
Dynavector. Also, given the need to avoid vaporizing the coils and
the fact that there is no way to remove the primary magnetic field
(unless you remove the stylus assembly from the gap) the
effectiveness of demagnetizing probably isn't very high. That doesn't
mean that the effect isn't audible, however.

>I believe the newer Aesthetic ramps the voltage down at the end of
>the cycle to avoid the spike at turn off which can remagnetize the
>piece.<

I think that every cartridge fluxbuster made to date has had an
amplitude envelope which was gradually ramped down over time. It
wouldn't work right if not. The operating goal is to send an AC
signal with enough wattage through the coils to saturate the existing
local magnetization of the core out of existence, then smoothly
attenuate the signal to zero.

>The Cardas Sweep record applies a similar signal but through the
>record grooves to achieve much the same. The use of the Cardas may
>be the ticket for Clearaudio owners.<

Um, as mentioned above, the Clearaudio probably doesn't even have a
permeable core, so the need for fluxbusting would be far, far less.

George Cardas contends that the "demagnetization" should occur with
the core in the exact configuration that it would be when playing an
LP. Hence his disk. In practice, though, the amount of voltage that
one can derive from an LP and still have cartridges track the grooves
does not come close to that achievable with an electronic circuit.

Still, one can accomplish a very quick and dirty demagnetizing job by
disconnecting the tonearm cable from the preamp, placing a shorting
loop across the ground and hot of each channel, and playing an LP
with the cartridge. In other words, one would drive the raw output
from the cartridge into itself, using the voltage generated by the
coils to fluxbust the core. I don't think that ClearAudio or AJ can
complain too much about this level of fluxbusting.

Paul wrote:

>The effect was a lessening of coarseness and harshness and anytime
>the cartridge started sounding edgy or seeming to be on the verge of
>mistracking, we zapped it.<

In my experience, fluxbusting typically addresses a murkiness or
fogginess in the sound. Transparency and intelligibility usually go
up after fluxbusting. Edginess tends to be a secondary or tertiary
effect.

Jeff wrote:

>I've wondered why some manufacturers still use ferrous/polar cores
>for their coils. (Yeah, it increases output ...)<

The use of iron, permalloy, sendust, amorphous alloys etc will
concentrate a greater percentage of the magnetic flux through the
core. The main point is phono stage compatibility, and how it relates
to cartridge voltage. If only there were more phono stages available
that had super s/n ratios and mind-boggling low-level resolution. If
that ever happened, I'd drop the output voltage, and the permeable
core would be the next thing to go. I'd love to ditch the permeable
core, as I'm not a fan of magnetic materials in general. But
nonetheless, a really good permeable like 5N iron still sounds better
than wrapping lots of wire around a non-permeable core. So unless
there are more phono stages that can deal gracefully with ultra-low
signal levels, I don't think the permeable core will go out of
fashion.

>it also increases mass.<

Not necessarily. For example, while carbon fiber is a low-mass
material, ruby is not. And compared to a permeable core, a
non-permeable core will require a much greater amount of wire wrapped
around it to generate an equivalent output voltage. That means
greater DCR, greater output impedance, greater capacitance, and more
mass. In fact, the original versions of the Denon DL-1000 (before it
got the "A" suffix) used lightweight aluminum wire to counteract that
very same increase in mass. And finally, because of its location, the
mass of the core has the least effect on the high-frequency resonant
point; the mass of the cantilever and stylus have a far greater
effect.

>Does anyone know which cartridges do (not) use such coil cores? Do
>Lyras? Do Transfigurations? Do Koetsus? Etc., etc. ...<

I don't know exactly what Transfiguration uses, but we use the same
stuff as Koetsu - 5N high purity iron.

Brian wrote:

>As far as it helping the sonics of a Sumiko Blue Point by
>de-magnatizing it, nothing short of breaking the cartridge and
>finding another different (non Blue Point) cartridge will help it
>sound smooth on the top end.<

Personally, I think that many cartridges are unjustly maligned
because of weak links in the reproduction chain elsewhere, and the
Blue Point is one of them. It benefits hugely from a good tonearm,
turntable and phono stage, but probably doesn't get them that often,
given its own price point.

For some time, I was running a Blue Point on an Immedia RPM-2,
Wheaton Triplanar tonearm and through a Connoisseur 2.0 phono stage.
I removed the blue metal tab from underneath the magnetic gap, but
otherwise the BP was kept stock. It sounded great! Lively dynamics,
lots of toe-tapping bounce, and none of the high-frequency
aggravation that you normally get with the Blue Point or BPS in most
systems.

Quite enjoyable, in fact.

regards
jcarr

Last edited:

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I'd definitely look for a much better cartridge. Black tends to be dark, slow and not much happening at the extremes :( Lyras, Benzs, Clearaudios all work well in the VPI arm. Or if stuck on the Koetsu and have the bucks, investigate the stone bodied Koetsus.

I think that would be better than selling the HRX and getting the Classic 3.

The HRX owner was using the Koetsu Onyx prior to the Koetsu Black and it sound's fantastic .But unfortunately the Onyx lost the left channel the Black took its place.( when I heard it the setup was Ref Phono 2, Ref 5 , M300 MK 2 Triode (similar to the Classic 150), Avalon Ascent w/ TOL MIT i.c. and Shunyata King Cobra power cables .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing