Busting Martin Logan Myths

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Trying hard to make ML a household name.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stretching the ml panel

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Basic room treatment for ml

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Busting Martin Logan Myths
The latest generation of M/L speakers have the same basic sonic signature that the +20 year old stuff has. I mean this in a good way, the openness, the clarity, the speed and so forth. Do they Rock? Yes and no, I listen to Progressive Rock and they do that very well. I think they do a pretty good job on classic rock too, but think of all the "Myths", this one has a tiny bit of truth to it.

Stretching the ml panel
Somehow I did not know the membrane was glued to the stator, nor did I know it was in tension. Never really thought about it I guess.

I've never used the mirror method, gotta try that some day.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Somehow I did not know the membrane was glued to the stator, nor did I know it was in tension. Never really thought about it I guess.

I still don't know how they keep the membrane form collapsing onto the stator:confused:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
A couple of things....first the dispersion comments. Yes the curved panels probably have widened the sweet spot but I find the bigger problem is vertical beaming. If you are seated things are great but you stand up and it's like you've put a pillow case over your head. Regarding the life expectancy of their panels, I replaced the panels on my Aerius i's when they were 12 years old. When I spoke with someone at the factory to order the panels, he said that 12 years is about what you could expect to get out of them. Lastly, I have my Aerius i's now in my HT, LF and RF along with the ML Cinema center and I wouldn't change a thing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I still don't know how they keep the membrane form collapsing onto the stator:confused:

Greg,

Did you see Chief "Doc" Reiner E. Römer applying some extra vertical tension to the membrane top and bottom? It is critical to avoid the membrane form collapsing onto the stator.

Thanks for pointing such an interesting movie about ML panel refurbishing.
Reromanus is a well know company in Germany devoted to electrostatic services - they are manufacturers and sellers of DIY parts, but also refurbish every type of ESL speaker. Their materials are high quality, (equivalent or many times the same as the original manufacturer ones) and they are of great help to europeans, that otherwise would face enormous shipping costs to send electrostatic panels to the USA for servicing.

It is one of the reasons I love electrostatics - if needed can service them myself. I did it to some old ESL Quad panels long ago and they are still playing fine.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Microstrip -when they decided to curve the panel to improve horizontal dispersion that (panel collapse to stator)was one of the chief concerns. It is certainly counterintuitive.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
A couple of things....first the dispersion comments. Yes the curved panels probably have widened the sweet spot but I find the bigger problem is vertical beaming. If you are seated things are great but you stand up and it's like you've put a pillow case over your head. Regarding the life expectancy of their panels, I replaced the panels on my Aerius i's when they were 12 years old. When I spoke with someone at the factory to order the panels, he said that 12 years is about what you could expect to get out of them. Lastly, I have my Aerius i's now in my HT, LF and RF along with the ML Cinema center and I wouldn't change a thing.

HI es,
I replaced my CLS IIA panels at about 18 years. They were not bad but I was starting to loose a little sensitivity in the right channel. Otherwise they sounded great. I kept the old ones just in case.

Sparky

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What I thought was most interesting (and I have a hard time believing it) is that most Martin Logan owners use receivers. Really?? Is that a marketing ploy that helps or hurts them? Is ML trying to cater to the receiver crowd?

And by the way, I bought a pair of the original Aerius brand new many years ago and I had to change out both panels and one of the woofers.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
No receivers here. I drove them with an AR LS3 pre and a McCormack a DNA-0.5 power amp....the results were impressive especially if system cost was taken into consideration.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
What I thought was most interesting (and I have a hard time believing it) is that most Martin Logan owners use receivers. Really?? Is that a marketing ploy that helps or hurts them? Is ML trying to cater to the receiver crowd?

And by the way, I bought a pair of the original Aerius brand new many years ago and I had to change out both panels and one of the woofers.

HI Mep,
Well, for the less expensive speakers, they probably are. But, I also have a hard time believing that most Martin Logan's are used with receivers. I know on the Martin Logan Club, most folks have good, separate, electronics. That really is the only way to go.

Sparky

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

I just found the same video doing a search, and was about to post it but see it is already posted.

If M/L's are so different, then why use the mirror method to find a first reflection point?

I never knew about the second reflection point in this way until this video, it makes it so simple.

With a conventional dynamic bass driver on the hybrids I have to assume the first and second reflections are from those drivers.

Therefore the wall mounted absorbers must address those mid and lower frequencies and NOT typical high band energy.

Correct?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Just built some diffuser/absorbers to cover first and second reflection points.

Makes a difference.

I really thought some of my small lingering issues were what was behind the speakers - NOT SO.

Try treating the reflection points before going hog wild on the front wall.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For Martin-Logan electrostatic speakers I advocate leaving the front wall moderately reflective (or at least no absorption or diffusion to start with) at least until all other acoustic issues have been solved first.

After all other acoustic issues have been solved, then it is a matter of personal preference whether to absorb the rear wave, to diffuse the rear wave or to manage and utilize the rear wave for sonic spaciousness (as I practice).

Reactions: Uk Paul and MPS

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
For Martin-Logan electrostatic speakers I advocate leaving the front wall moderately reflective (or at least no absorption or diffusion to start with) at least until all other acoustic issues have been solved first.

After all other acoustic issues have been solved, then it is a matter of personal preference whether to absorb the rear wave, to diffuse the rear wave or to manage and utilize the rear wave for sonic spaciousness (as I practice).

Thank you for the input Ron.

I may have to make my front wall a little less absorbing because a front wall window treatment got a bit more involved yesterday.

It is a fine line to be sure.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

Ron, I will add that a great deal depends on the distance the stat panel is out from the wall. Personally I consider 4' a min and 6-8' ideal.

note pic of CLX's set up to perfection ..........

IMG_0012.JPG

Reactions: ack and Ron Resnick

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Nice setup Twitch.

I keep telling people in other forums to clean up their front stage and get anything but low stuff on amp stands out of there but there is great resistance.

Then again, those same people listen to boxes and have Polk subwoofers, LOL.

Nothing wrong with Polk subs if that is all one can afford, but two of them?

EDIT:

In the photo, is that center cylinder reflective or absorbtive?

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
George, the fabric covered cylinders are absorption, 'baffled' pieces, diffusion.

For the record, that is not my set up, rather one done a few years back @ Overture Audio, Wilmington, De

Dave

Reactions: kach22i

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Personally I consider . . . 6-8' ideal.

I agree with this distance range!

That is a beautiful room and system! Is that your set-up?

What are the components to the outside of the Spectral amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing