Squeezebox touch has arrived and kicks butt! Now what?

Wolfsong

Oct 26, 2010
SQB touch has. Touched a nerve that is. Streaming internet radio is a hoot and some of the 320 KBPS streams are very listenable. I have started ripping the 1.5K cd collection into FLAC via DBpoweramp. The files are being sent to a 2 TB NAS connected via 10/100 ethernet to the LAN. The SQB is also connected 10/100 via hard wire. I have done some of the set up suggestions made by the well known SQB guru soundchech. I have not downloaded the software patches as that level of tech is a bit beyond my comfort zone.
Browsing the music collection has NEVER been anywhere near as much fun as it is now. I have seen my audio future and this is it from a user interface standpoint.
Sound quality of the built in DAC on he SQB is pleasant and honestly better than I expected. But.....
I did an A/B both sighted and blind and my current reference CD spinner ( Ayre CD 5 Xe ( no MP )) really shows off the weaknesses in the SQB dac and line out. The Ayre has much more timbral shading, a greater sense of ease, more dynamics, blah blah, blah. It is just better but heck it should be.
I now want to bypass the DAC in the SQB and run that sucker into an outboard DAC. I am not ready to commit to the USB mods to allow the SQB to output data via the normally input only USB. That said, I do not want to rule that out for the future. Here is what I am looking for in a DAC:

Differentially balanced output via XLR connectors
Coax SP/DIF input
USB input ( asynch not mandatory but nice )
The ability to listen in my rig for at least 30 days with full return privileges.
Sonic integrity that equals or surpasses the C 5 Xe*
Tube output would be fun but not mandatory.
Defeatable upsamplng
Not too many damn lights*
Low BS factor*

* Subjective as hell right?

I lean towards US gear and a dynamic yet subtle presentation. Overseas units are not ruled out, just more of a hassle with returns if necessary. I have been reading reviews, forums and blogs for days and all the usual suspects come up. WFS, AYRE, REGA etc. All have most of the qualities as far as option but my head is swimming from the choices. I would like to narrow down the choices and to 2-3 and get them in the rig to test their mettle. Budget is up to 3K including cables, power supply mods, bags of magic sand, voodoo and tuning devices up to and including NOS dacs ( WTH ? ), wood blocks, diamond rings, good home brewed beer and even the honest suggestion to scrap the DAC idea, buy a killer phono stage for the VPI Aries and listen to records until I die.

Best deal in audio AFAIC. Don't understand the value of expensive server/streaming systems vs. the Touch. Have 3 feeding different DACs and use the analog outs of one of those (dig/analog outs work simultaneously) feeding some outdoor speakers.

Cambridge DAC magic -- overrated even at the price, mediocre output stage is my guess

Tact Mini -- invaluable in an impossible room

Berkeley DAC and Bel Canto 3.5VB (review coming) -- both excellent, slightly different flavors.

Also plan to hack one to go USB out into an Ayre DAC

I'd get a Benchmark DAC1 and save 2 grand for magic sandbags and cables.

Tim

Hi

I am curious about this product and for the price .. I can't do much wrong ... Can one simply connect a NAS to it and be done .. No PC necessary? ? It seems that we audiophiles tend to like things a little more ..involved ... If this thing can safely manage to transfer the digits to the DAC with the least amount of Jitter .. One may have no need for complicated server setup with PCI Card costing several time the Squeezebox MSRP and the likes ..One may still need a PC running DbPoweramp or EAC for the ripping else ... This little box is all one needs for superior digital music reproduction if its amount of jitter is low ... Many will resist but it looks like this is a solution for entry into Digital Music ...
Has anyone used their Squeezebox with a top flight DAC? What were the results compared to more celebrated/audiophile-orthodox (i-e Dedicated CD Transports and standalone DAC) solutions?

FrantzM,

Check out the DAC threads over at computeraudiophile dot com. There are a lot of people who have mated the SQB Touch to DACS such as the Weiss Minerva, PS Audio PWD, Ayre, Benchmark, Wavelenght, etc. I have not seen much in the way of the truly world class units like the Dcs and top end Esoteric Dacs. I am trying to get the performance level of the Ayre CD 5 Xe out of a SQB/Dac combo simply because the user interface with the SQB is the most fun I have had in audio for years.
The mods for the SQB from a hard and software standpoint look to be fairly simple and the user comments are all positive. I do feel odd about considering spending $500 to mod a $300 unit but the interface is so slick and fun that it looks like that is just what I will be doing.

Hi

I am curious about this product and for the price .. I can't do much wrong ... Can one simply connect a NAS to it and be done .. No PC necessary? ? It seems that we audiophiles tend to like things a little more ..involved ... If this thing can safely manage to transfer the digits to the DAC with the least amount of Jitter .. One may have no need for complicated server setup with PCI Card costing several time the Squeezebox MSRP and the likes ..One may still need a PC running DbPoweramp or EAC for the ripping else ... This little box is all one needs for superior digital music reproduction if its amount of jitter is low ... Many will resist but it looks like this is a solution for entry into Digital Music ...
Has anyone used their Squeezebox with a top flight DAC? What were the results compared to more celebrated/audiophile-orthodox (i-e Dedicated CD Transports and standalone DAC) solutions?

Frantz --

See the DACs I've used it with above. Have used it w/the Benchmark too btw. Stereophile measured it as a very low jitter device. And I've synced playback of the same song thru the same DAC, and flopped between it and a good transport -- couldn't hear a difference.

Check out forums.slimdevices.com -- many there use it w/an NAS. Again, I don't see the point of 'high-end'/expensive servers with this around, and othe than perhaps Sooloos, they all have inferior interfaces.

Can one simply connect a NAS to it and be done?

No, in principle Squeezeserver runs on any Linux box (NAS) but today you need sufficient power (CPU/Mem) to get a decent response from the server.
If the distro on the NAS is not supported, you have to compile the source yourself and get all the dependencies right
Look for a NAS that comes with Squeezeserver or simply install the Win version of the server on your PC.

SBT is a player so to maintain your collection you need a PC, dbPoweramp, etc.

In essence a SBT is a Linux box with a sound card

If you look at the dedicated audio PCs (for some unknown reason often called Music Servers) it is about minimizing electrical activity.
The funny thing is that media players like SBT are pretty much alike, low power cpu, no hard disk, no fan, few components so low on RFI/EMI, etc.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Streaming/Squeeze.htm

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing