Source of tape other than tape project

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Roger,

The music you posted I think is from JEAN MICHAEL JAREE - CHINA or VANGELIS but I could be wrong.

Amir,

I do most of my recodings from MP3 files, reel to reel connected to my computer via sound card. I prefer on the tape so when I have a party or at home I listen to my compilations the way I want so I do not need to worry about buttoning my computer plus the quality impresses everyone! I do all my recordings in 19cm/s NAB equalization and use mostly MAXWELL UD XL II tapes in 4 tracks recoded on my REVOX C270 and played back on my REVOX B77 or A700. I've done a posting about this before.

EUGEN

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Xavier reminded me of another source for tapes from Kostas Metaxas (yes.. Same guy behind the Metaxas audio products). A quick search from Google takes you there...

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Be careful of kostas metaxas, I bought abt 6 tapes of rubbish from him

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Be careful of kostas metaxas, I bought abt 6 tapes of rubbish from him

Thanks for the heads-up audioblazer, and sorry to hear that. I have never bought tapes from him, I had some years back a pre/power combo from him and sounded wonderfull but unreliable.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I am not the last word when speaking about sonic qualities of master dub tapes but based on my personal experience - the best sounding tape I have ever heard was a tape played on MikeL's A820 setup. Since then I have bought originals from small studios and people have sent me few dubbed copies of their own master tape collections (most from the safety copies). It is rare I would be going Wow...while playing those tapes. It seems most of the TP subscribers would also agree that based on the source of the master tape, some are more spectacular than other titles (I am not qualified to judge the contents). The Keith Johnson’s Reference Recording tape dubs from both TP series, on the other hand, had the Wow factor every time I’d play them.

Thus, it's not surprising some of you had experienced less than WOW sonic from various so called master tape sources. Once I had a chance to buy a total collection (~1000 master safety copies) from a friend but after hearing the “good” sample tapes, I chose not to pull the trigger. In addition, I acquired a quite a lot of original recordings from a respectable studio in Seattle area recently – out of about 100 I had played so far, I would say--- 3 were worthy. But then again all the sonic gems (many of the Seattle Symphony and Seattle Opera original live recordings) have gone with the donation to the University of Washington library…and I got the leftovers.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
you don't find top find top level master dubs, they find you.

and ebay is a waste of time for tapes, you are better off enjoying Lps than looking for great tape sonics on ebay. sure, there are plenty of 'dumpster fodder' tapes on ebay, but that's about it.

remember; for years tapes were made with mid-fi quality for all sorts of reasons. these are laying around waiting for their owners to sell them to some 'panting' tape newbie.

this is simply the voice of experience. i dropped my $1000-$1500 on ebay a few years back learning. i have maybe 100 4-track ebay tapes of varying quality. maybe if you don't have Lps then it might be worth it, but be prepared to be mostly disappointed.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i'll add one more little idea to this thread.

making tapes of other media seems to me a waste of time. if the goal is top performance then play the native format, the tape can't improve it. if you want top performance you will need expensive ($50 per 30 minute reel at 15ips 2-track) tapes, 2 of them for most albums. anything less will be compromised in performance. and digital is a much better way to go if your goal is not top performance as it's almost free and way easier to use.

if you just 'like' how tapeing other media sounds then knock yourself out, but it's not otherwise logical.

tapeing live events is, of course, wonderful in every way. maybe i could also add that if you have a great FM Tuner making a high quality tape of a live performance from that 'could' be wonderful......as the FM Tuner can be almost like a live mic feed.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
and ebay is a waste of time for tapes, you are better off enjoying Lps than looking for great tape sonics on ebay. sure, there are plenty of 'dumpster fodder' tapes on ebay, but that's about it.

remember; for years tapes were made with mid-fi quality for all sorts of reasons. these are laying around waiting for their owners to sell them to some 'panting' tape newbie.

this is simply the voice of experience. i dropped my $1000-$1500 on ebay a few years back learning. i have maybe 100 4-track ebay tapes of varying quality. maybe if you don't have Lps then it might be worth it, but be prepared to be mostly disappointed.

That is not my experience, not all tapes are created equal,but many tapes can be found in the 4track format that sound more relaxed ,open and dynamic then comparable CD's. The price of all 2 track tapes have been driven up in the last 3 years, I would guess mostly by Tape Project owners.

It is the music after all,many great performances and the largest part of the record companies catalog are available in the 4 track format, not 2 track and when buying used LP's it is a crap shoot.

It will take quite some for the Tape Project to produce a substantial library. I love what they are doing,but I only have so much time to listen and there is much music to hear.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That is not my experience, not all tapes are created equal,but many tapes can be found in the 4track format that sound more relaxed and dynamic then comparable CD's. The price of all 2 track tapes have been driven up in the last 3 years, I would guees mostly by Tape Project owners.

if CD is your reference, then i'll agree that ebay is a good source for tapes. btw, PM me and i'd be glad to discuss selling my 'better than CD' 4-track collection to you reasonably.

It is the music after all,many great performances and the largest part of the record companies catalog are available in the 4 track format, not 2 track and when buying used LP's it is a crap shoot.

'Lps a crap shoot'? hummmm, i find that about 80% of Lps, even thrift store or collections i've purchased, sound very good. as opposed to maybe 20% of ebay tapes. of course, my reference is Lps, not CD's. i do have 12,000 Lps, of which 2/3rds were purchased used......so my sample size is pretty large to form my opinion.

It will take quite some for the Tape Project to produce a substatial library. I love what they are doing,but I only have so much time to listen and there is much music to hear.

as a said above, high quality master dubs can find you once you are in the culture of those type tapes. if you want to assemble a collection of good tapes it can be done. the Tape Project gives you a good foundation to start.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Mike,

I have two turntables, but my LP collection is maybe 200 records. I got away from LP's years ago. I wish I had a LP collection like yours. At some point after my Ampex MR70 and 350's are done I can start looking for high quality master tapes.

Right now I enjoy the music, if the 4 track format is lacking so be it,but on my system it is enjoyable.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
as a said above, high quality master dubs can find you once you are in the culture of those type tapes. if you want to assemble a collection of good tapes it can be done. the Tape Project gives you a good foundation to start.

Mike,

I am going to just start getting into tape with the Ampex project that I am working on with Roger. To me though at least as a start the Tape Project tapes with such a limited source of material at $300 each ($1800 for 6) for a tape subscription or $500 each per album that is a bit steep at least to begin. I want something a bit more reasonable in cost than that.

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Rich

you should at the very least splurge and buy one of your favorite TP tapes. Once you have heard it, I promise there is no turning back. They are just, that good

Steve,

Can you buy just one? If so I would want the Nojima plays Liszt!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I have two turntables, but my LP collection is maybe 200 records. I got away from LP's years ago. I wish I had a LP collection like yours. At some point after my Ampex MR70 and 350's are done I can start looking for high quality master tapes.

Right now I enjoy the music, if the 4 track format is lacking so be it,but on my system it is enjoyable.

Roger,

i apologize if i came off as denigrating 4-track tapes as a format, and if by inference i was disrespectful. that was not my intent. 4-track tape is a high quality format especially at 7 and 1/2ips.

however; 4-track tapes are extremely inconsistent in their quality, and they are now 40-50 years old. they have been stored in widely varying conditions and played on machines of various states of repair. and tape media is not as robust and tolerant of less than ideal storage as an Lp. so the odds of getting very good ones is low.

and even at their very best, 4-track tapes are not quite as good as my vinyl. i would say that they are competitive, or maybe even a little better, than 'good performance' vinyl. yes; they have that continuousness of tape going for them, but their noise floor is higher than my vinyl. and since i already have 12,000 Lps and very high quality turntables why would i spend time pursueing a format that does not exceed what i have.

for the most part; the music on 4-track tapes is easy listening. any rock or jazz or desireable classical is somewhat expensive.

so overall the 4-track equation for me does not work out.

Steve,

i did have the dPV 'Tim deParavicini Technics RS-1700 that i sold to a friend, and i still have a stock Technics RS-1500.....which i've not fired up in at least a year.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think you can but at a higher sales price ( I think $500 vs $300)

From the Tape Project

We are now taking subscriptions for the upcoming Series Three, expected to begin shipping in the second half of 2011. Our licenses for Series One titles are limited. Waltz for Debby and Saxophone Colossus are very nearly sold out. Contact Eileen at the shipping status link below to order. Price for individual albums is $500 each. Series Two is currently in production and will continue to ship over the next few months. This Series is selling briskly as well.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think you can but at a higher sales price ( I think $500 vs $300)

From the Tape Project

We are now taking subscriptions for the upcoming Series Three, expected to begin shipping in the second half of 2011. Our licenses for Series One titles are limited. Waltz for Debby and Saxophone Colossus are very nearly sold out. Contact Eileen at the shipping status link below to order. Price for individual albums is $500 each. Series Two is currently in production and will continue to ship over the next few months. This Series is selling briskly as well.

Thanks Steve

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing