Fim super sounds xrcd

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have several of the FIM Flam CDs and they are mostly very good sounding. The Super Sounds actually has Side 1 of the Sheffield Labs Drum Album on it-the side with Jim Keltner playing which is my favorite.

I have the D2D version of the LP and I can tell you that the version on this CD is damn good. Of course if you have the actual LP, it comes with a sheet to tell you what you should listen for. Anyway, this is a powerful recording and Keltner gets all kinds of sounds from his drum kit. You should really be able to hear his toms ring off the room in which the recording was made. His kick drum runs will test your amps and speakers. I don't know why I knew it, but I knew that they were going to cut off the "A-Hem" that Keltner does at the end of the recording. The better the system, the more realistic his voice sounds when he makes that noise.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
you need to try this one!

Attachments

• Sheffield Drum a&#110.jpg
    Sheffield Drum a&#110.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 208

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The only seller I find for some of the FIM recording referred in this thread is an eBay seller from HK. Does any member have experience buying from him?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
you need to try this one!

Did you have the master tape from Sheffield Labs to make the CD from? In the early days, Sheffield Labs always had an analog recorder taping the sessions that were being cut in real time to disc. D2D record numbers are limited and Sheffield would sell LPs made from the analog master tape after they ran out of D2D LPs to sell.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I believe for this one we got the MO discs from JVC

Bruce-I have to profess my ignorance and say I have no idea what MO discs are. To my knowledge, there was only two sources of the Drum Album. One was the D2D version which I own and the other is the analog tape that was made at the same time. Given your previous statement that an analog master tape can't be considered as Hi-Rez when converted to digital, what are the claims for 24bit/352.8 based on? I'm also clueless on when a master tape is converted to digital how Hi-Rez that is.

Mark

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce-I have to profess my ignorance and say I have no idea what MO discs are. To my knowledge, there was only two sources of the Drum Album. One was the D2D version which I own and the other is the analog tape that was made at the same time. Given your previous statement that an analog master tape can't be considered as Hi-Rez when converted to digital, what are the claims for 24bit/352.8 based on? I'm also clueless on when a master tape is converted to digital how Hi-Rez that is.

Mark

Some people claim that an analog tape transfered to hi-rez digital is not hi-rez. I am not one of them.

When JVC made the XRCD, they transfered the tape to MO disc. Wiki definition
What we did was take the file from the MO disc, upsample it to 32/352.8 and run it through an analog console chain and capture back at 32/352.8 before we went to Redbook CD.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi microstrip,

I pick up FIM cds whenever I visit Hong Kong from either the Hong Kong Records store or the HMV store. Perhaps you can try their websites.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What we did was take the file from the MO disc, upsample it to 32/352.8 and run it through an analog console chain and capture back at 32/352.8 before we went to Redbook CD.

I am now confused - what was the bit rate of the files in the MO ?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I can see why people get so confused when they buy digital music because it seems you never know what you are really getting. To the novice, when they see the above listed Sheffield Drum Album, they would think they are buying a digital file that was recorded with 24bit/352.8 resolution. Now, the CD does say "mastering" instead of "recorded" but I'm not sure that is a distinction that many people would understand. In reality, the source file was an analog tape that was converted to digital. We don't know what the resolution of the MO files you had before it was upsampled to 24bit/352.8 and then down sampled back to RB. I'm sure it sounds great if it sounds as good as the Keltner side on my FIM Super Sound CD.

It just appears that there is a lack of integrity in the digital music market place with people playing fast and loose with the facts of their recordings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The MO discs were 24/44.1

Amazing.
I would love to have a FIM version processed by you of the Sheffield "The King James Version". For me, the difference between the direct cut vinyl and the XRCD CD is much bigger than in the case of the Drum and Track Disk.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My big knock with Sheffield Labs was the quality of their vinyl. I don't know how many Sheffield Labs LPs I bought brand new and they were noisey.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I can safely recommend the Solti Romantic Russia LIM.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The only seller I find for some of the FIM recording referred in this thread is an eBay seller from HK. Does any member have experience buying from him?

Hi Microstrip,

If you haven't already, you may wish to try Amazon.com (the US version of the site). There are quite a few FIM 24bit/352.8 mastered CDs there. (they are not the UK Amazon site.) I have had very good experience with the US sellers selling overseas to UK. I have bought 30+ CDs in the last few months, and only one went wrong. And since Amazon guarantees everything, I got a full refund within 10 days. ABout USD7 to ship to UK...imagine similar to Portugal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Clarification...i have bought 30+ CDs from the US Amazon website shipped to UK. I have bought closer to 200+ CDs from the UK website in the last few months...and so far, not a single one has gone wrong.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have since tried some more FIM and LIM cds and the sonics are very lovely.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing