Would anyone consider tubes in their digital gear?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Most of the discussion of tubed vs. SS gear concerns amps and preamps? Anyone out there consider tubed digital superior? Why? Why not?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Superior is a strong word. I have heard quite a few very pleasing players and DACs with tube analog output stages from the very affordable Opera Consonance players all the way to Zandens. I already have tubes in everything in my main system now except my digital.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I own the Zanden DAC (s/hand at attractive price as the seller wanted SACD). i like it and personally preferred it to auditions with DCS Elgar Plus, ARC CD7, Krell 505, Wadia's latest reference, and the list goes on. It is not perfect (what is?) and in this age of extraordinary focus on detail (because technology has advanced very rapidly over the last 3-5 years in this area among others), i think it rates well but is not the supreme authority on definition. But where i do find i enjoy it most is when i just play music and rarely now sit down to listen to audiophile-like characteristics...i actually end up comparing different versions of Bach Cellos or Orchesteral Suites...Suzuki v Mariner.

dont get me wrong...i'm still an audiophile and will listen critically to the system! but not nearly as much in my current system as i used to before. And the Zanden was a very big part of getting me to this point. In fact, the last significant chunk of money i put was actually into music...130 CDs all cheap (3 bucks each) and generally all of the pieces of music i wanted to own, often based on recommendations from Penguin Guide to Classical where i have enjoyed exploring.

Reactions: Re-tread

caesar

May 30, 2010
It is interesting. When you talk to a lot of audiophiles, many conversations go like "You gotta have tubes. At least in your preamp." But rarely you hear people for calling for tubes in their cd players and DACs.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It is interesting. When you talk to a lot of audiophiles, many conversations go like "You gotta have tubes. At least in your preamp." But rarely you hear people for calling for tubes in their cd players and DACs.

There are plenty of DACs with tube output stages out there. It is deliberate coloration of the source, and not my choice, but it might make your ears happy.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Why not?... I had a Metronome CDP with tubes in the output section and liked it a lot....

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There are plenty of DACs with tube output stages out there. It is deliberate coloration of the source, and not my choice, but it might make your ears happy.

Tim

Tim-So all small signal tubes run in pure Class A circuit have deliberate colorations that are absent from the SS equivalent circuit or are you saying that designers that use small signal tubes intentionally design a non-linear circuit in order to impart a certain sound?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tom-Can you define how the integrated circuit beats the pants off any tube used in a CD output circuit? What specs of the IC are beating the pants off the poor naked tube?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Caeser,

I own an Audio Research CD8. I have hosted a CD5 - same laser mechanism and DAC, but solid state analog stage. To my hears the CD8 sounds much better. The CD8 THD is less than .03%.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim-So all small signal tubes run in pure Class A circuit have deliberate colorations that are absent from the SS equivalent circuit or are you saying that designers that use small signal tubes intentionally design a non-linear circuit in order to impart a certain sound?

The latter. While I believe that one could design a transparent tube output stage for a DAC, I can't think of a good reason to do it, so I believe the marketing and user descriptions that attribute a "smoother" more "musical," "analog-like" tone to these otherwise digital devices.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The latter. While I believe that one could design a transparent tube output stage for a DAC, I can't think of a good reason to do it, so I believe the marketing and user descriptions that attribute a "smoother" more "musical," "analog-like" tone to these otherwise digital devices.

Tim

Tim-The reason to design a transparent tube output stage for a DAC is that some people prefer sound that has been amplified by tubes. I respect people who wouldn't touch tubes with a 10' pole and think that SS is the holy grail. There is something for everybody in this wacky hobby and we all need to respect each other at the end of the day. And by the way, I'm enjoying digital much better since I downloaded Foobar. I think it sounds much the better than Media Monkey and I have no idea why it should be so. I can appreciate digital much better now than I could before. I'm beginning to feel like I didn't waste my money building my digital music server.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Tim

So can deliberately choosing a particular op-amp or j-fet Tim. Not all SS CDPs sound the same either so what's your point?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim-The reason to design a transparent tube output stage for a DAC is that some people prefer sound that has been amplified by tubes. I respect people who wouldn't touch tubes with a 10' pole and think that SS is the holy grail. There is something for everybody in this wacky hobby and we all need to respect each other at the end of the day. And by the way, I'm enjoying digital much better since I downloaded Foobar. I think it sounds much the better than Media Monkey and I have no idea why it should be so. I can appreciate digital much better now than I could before. I'm beginning to feel like I didn't waste my money building my digital music server.

I respect your preferences too, Mark, but if the output stage, tube, SS or metaphysical, creates a sound you prefer instead of reproducing the recorded signal without audibly altering it, it is, by definition, not transparent. It's not semantics to believe that a component can have a "sound" and be transparent at once, it is a refusal to accept one's choice as a preference without dressing it up in the language of objective accuracy. That is what I have a bit of trouble respecting.

Tim

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have a Monarchy NM24 which I have swapped out the 2.7uf Wima coupling caps for Mundorf supremes and use a set of Amperex d-getter tubes. The DAC has a SS output also which I use for my subwoofer output. Whatever you think of tube vs SS DAC's if the SS section was better I'd be using it. The tube output is so much better than the SS that I didn't even have to think twice about it. I also use a SS preamp and amplifers so the tube DAC is the only tube gear in my sound system right now.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I respect your preferences too, Mark, but if the output stage, tube, SS or metaphysical, creates a sound you prefer instead of reproducing the recorded signal without audibly altering it, it is, by definition, not transparent. It's not semantics to believe that a component can have a "sound" and be transparent at once, it is a refusal to accept one's choice as a preference without dressing it up in the language of objective accuracy. That is what I have a bit of trouble respecting.

Tim
Tim-By defintion, all amplifiers create a sound. I'm not talking about using tubes to alter the recorded signal, just amplify it. You are making way too much of what I said, but what you said sounds good until you realize it was distorted.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tom-The IM4562 is quite an impressive IC.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tom-Since everything has a downside, what is the downside of using ICs instead of discrete components?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I had to bet on a null test winner, it would be the integrated circuit.......how about you?
Tom

Tom,

I would bet on a cable. :) Unhappily as can hear differences between cables (that I can not explain or measure) I find that although this integrated circuit has a fascinating specification it is just accurate in THD or IMD, nothing else.

Although some studies have been made on the perception of high values of audible distortion there are no conclusive studies on the low values. We can use the model "the less the better" for accuracy but the main objective of sound reproduction is not just accuracy - it is very complex as it also has a subjective aspect.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Cable measurements are pretty much proven to show that there are differences between cables...see some threads here on WBF, and thus certainly if they are big enough (and they can be) then they are audible, and I have heard it and measured it, there really is no magic there!

As far as no conclusive studies on low values, that is where as I have said in the past, stereo or mono production, via a speaker(s) trying to bring the event to you instead of you to the event (as in binaural) might just not work all that well as an illusion, and so, for example, some prefer the sound of SET amplification despite the distortion components. With binaural, I want the best accuracy possible because of the way binaural is more true to the way we actually experience music at an event.

Tom

Tom where do you get your binaural recordings?

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Aren't Elvis sightings more common that finding a binaural recording?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing