Are you certain you purchased your ultimate piece of gear?

i m pretty happy with what i have .
I like the combination of tube pre and ss amp, tubelife with real force
Whether it be arc /mark levinson , nagra / levinson zanden /krell its the combo that i like ,i could be happy with all of them .
Sources and especially cd is a pain in the ass to choose .
Analogue is much easier .
cables are not in discussion for me at the moment.
speakers are my hobby as i design them:cool:.

greetz from amsterdam . holland

Add ,.... what speakers concerned i could live happily with avalon, wilson and the bigger kharmas and some others i have not heard .
I heard some kharmas today i believe it was the ceramic series 3 way with diamond tweeter , great on orchestral work for example they did good bass.
Amps where all octave jubilee which one could compare to all zanden set up , and boulder .
Unfortunately i have not heard the darts

Audioshop candy it was !!!!

I am certain I do not have the ultimate equipment as I do not have the space nor the funds yet and sometimes the conviction to purchase what I consider the ultimates.

In my experience, finding a good dealer is more important. His insights are invaluable in extracting the sonics that keeps me content.

It is also a fantastic blessing that I am forgetful enough so I can enjoy what I have and able to recall the sonics of the ultimate equipment.

So here's my theory on why no one has their "ultimate system". There is a lot of good sounding gear out there. But how much different is one brand better than another brand? Take tube mono-blocks as an example at a high price point. There are awesome offerings from BAT Rex, ARC 610, VTL Siegfried, Atma Sphere, David Berning, CJ ART, CAT, etc. In the scheme of things they are more alike than different. Most people would be happy with any of these killer models in their system. Using the example of cars and the Porsche Panamera that Alan Sircom used in his review, most people would be exuberant about the Panamera, but just as exuberant about the Aston Martin or the Maserati at that price point. Sure there are slight differences in the features and feels of the car, but it's all pretty much heaven driving these and looking at them in your garage. Now if you have the right zip code on your driver's license and you drive in with a decent car into the dealer's lot, within 4-8 hours you can test drive all 3 and decide for your self which flavor of vehicle you like the best.

It is not as easy with audio gear, however. There are so many fairly similarly sounding brands out there. And so many combinations of gear interplay with speakers, amps, sources, etc. And the most expensive these get, the harder it gets to try them. The reviewers don't really do the legwork to simplify the life for the consumer by neglecting to do comparisons. (Anyone ever see a comparison of reference VTL and ARC monoblocks? And these are 2 of the biggest brands!!!) So the customers get thoroughly confused and frustrated. They jump from one product to another, either purchasing new or used on audiogon, thinking there is a product out there that is the Absolute Sound. (But of course, there isn't!)

But this confusion also hurts the manufacturers. When consumers are confused, they don't pull the trigger as frequently. So the manufacturers give away their gear for free or at pennies on the dollar to marquee reviewers like Jonathan Valin and Michael Fremer. It's a fairly small expense for Magico or ARC to give their speaker or amp to Valin. A peice of gear costs the company $10 grand or so, which is a fraction of a full page ad cost. And how many people notice that ad? And how emotionally involving is that ad? But in exchange for the free use gear that lasts years, as older models are replaced with new ones, Valin mentions the gear in every review, blogs about it, and lists it as part of his reference system. He is a good writer, so he describes how those magico speakers and Arc amps convey emotions. A much more effective use of marketing investments than a lowly ad Magico would have placed if they had an occasional review like pretty much every one else.

So the confused consumer looks up these reviewers just like a small kid in an uncertain, scary place looks up to Mommy or Daddy, thinking they got their "ultimate system".

Ah yes, Jon Valin and his "loaned" equipment, conveying emotion. I'm betting the guy has "Magico" tattooed on his butt cheeks.

I dont know much off J valin as i seldom buy mags , but i do read stereophile off the internet and i personally dont think M fremer or J atkinson are too much influenced by their advertizers .
The combo of measurements and reviewing i find certainly worthwhile.
I forgot to mention magico which i also like.
In my opinion there is no :whats best or absolute sound and there also never will be , a lot of designs come close maybe , but everybody has a different truth /hearing /perception of things and i dont think thats a bad thing either .
Can you imagine al speakerdesigns sounding the same , ....boring!!
I would say just enjoy what you hear and buy what you like nothing else

Buying high end gear is such a pain in the butt! The more expensive it is, the more difficult it becomes. I think it is somewhat easier with speakers, as you can go to a show. And even then, people say the speakers frequently don't sound their best. So you may pass on something that needs further attention.

But if you want some amps or a great source, it's almost impossible, it seems to get proper auditioning. You have to travel FAR just to hear the stuff. And the smaller the brand, the farther you have to travel. Additionally, the reviews rarely compare sonic signatures, which makes them nearly worthless.

So are folks here confident they have purchased their ultimate piece of gear? How many other pieces did you audition?

Absolutes are pretty rare in audio, just as with many things in life. I doubt most enthusiasts here feel they are purchasing *the* ultimate component for all time. Hopefully they feel they their acquisition is ultimately satisfying and brings or enables greater enjoyment.

You mention reviews, and I have always though that way too many audiophiles expect absolutes which don't exist when comparisons are made. There is a reason why so many enthusiasts hang on the next review of even the nuttiest of reviewers who have been around the block a few times... There is a repertoire which has been established, and if the reader pays attention, a sampling of different reviews with significantly different products can quickly start to paint a picture of the preferences of a reviewer. It is up to the reader to then sort out how their own preferences and interests correlate to the reviewers, and what information they can gather from a given review. So many debates on the many audio forums spin endlessly on and on when those arguing never establish any common experiences or preferences.

While I cringe at analogies to exotic luxury items, the auto reference you made between similarly exotic options is appropriate, where it is much more a matter of matching strengths and characters than determining which is numerically superior. Of course here is where someone jumps in and points out accuracy to some original. I would argue the numbers are required to develop and execute the best performers, but despite the marketeer's best efforts, we're so far away from whatever perfection would be, that we will always have differences in the exact set of strengths that set designs apart.

I wonder what the ratio is for how customers take this MKI, MK II, MKIII revision game? And by that I mean the number of people that get disgusted and change to another brand that puts out mature products in the first place vs. the number of people that shell out the money to have their piece upgraded or sell their product at a huge loss because it can't even be upgraded to the latest and greatest revision because the revision is such a big change? My vote is the majority of people stay brand loyal and either go for the upgrade or lust after it as they drive themselves crazy "knowing" there is a better verison of what they have.

Well at least it's not like cars that come out every single year. Most of the audio manufacturers wait a couple/three years before the upgraded or new version is out.

This is an interesting point to bring up, and I would say it is more a function of the relationship a manufacturer (hopefully) has with its customers. Some love a company as they never leave "well enough" alone always reaching for the next bit of refinement, while others enjoy knowing a product went through many such iterations behind the scenes prior to being offered to them. Call it bleeding edge vs. cutting edge. Preference here can easily be more a matter of personality type and spending habits than the exact end product...

Purchased my ultimate gear? No...with (only) 25 years under my belt in this hobby, i hope to have many, many more wonderful years of listening to music thru greater and greater systems. I will say this, however. I have had 3 systems in my life...the first 2 for 10 years each, and this latest one still coming together over the last 5...each one has been carefully built to what i called a "fully evolved state" where i felt that the system could go no further without a material "start all over again" approach. In each case, i was very satsifed with the system, and was fortunate to have the opportunity to "start all over again" and trade in all of the earlier equipment...albeit it usually takes a few years to finally trade in one system for the new one as i select each component (s/hand) very carefully and patiently. I am fortunate to say that this latest system is rapidly approaching that fully evolved state, and is comprised of what have been my dream components or beyond my wildest dream components for that 25 years. The system is 99% secondhand, but to my ear, well balanced that makes my music so enjoyable its addictive to listen to...such that i often find it hard to skip tracks, let alone change CDs or turn the system off. I certainly intend to start on System Four at some point in the distant future...but for now, i could happily say this is an ultimate system for me for a long time to come.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing