ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I dont understand the better thing really.
I Just wanna get An audiothrill when i cranck the system up.
Hifi is pretty simple .
Lanm. Dartzeel i suppose its all good stuff

Fair enough...I get that driving in my car...it has a BOSE system, you know and it rocks out pretty well

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad,

I think if we were listening to both the Lamm ML3's and then the dart 458's back to back in my system, we would have much to talk about. and it would involve preferences for sure. but the truth of certain things would also be undeniable.

maybe some day it might happen.

You know I would like that...sounds like a good idea to me

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron,

Given our collective discussion on ice cream last nite, how about this?

Given that there is no perfect audio system, what are your personal priorities in sound when you select a system/component? (you can select your own):

- Detail Retrieval
- Full-range Extension
- Midrange magic
- Effortless all out dynamic range
- Absolutely ruler-flat technical performance
- Absolutely extended, filigreed highs...but not one iota of harshness
- Deep propulsive bass

All of them except ruler flat. Thing is, if I just want vocals and strings, I can do quads with valves, no need to spend too much. Also if I compromise given my room and budget, it is good to say I go to live concerts and have a reference and have compromised on that reference and somebody else's system does that reference much better.

People seem to have their own system as a reference, irrespective of whether they go to live or not. Those with SETs keep on on SETs. Marc had his SET reference before he started attending live shows and after that too. So either he knew what's a live sound before, or he is still wrong, or plain coincidence. Peter has his resolution reference, which is a Magico Pass characteristic. Those who need a live reference should reset their references by selling off their system and not owning one :). No kidding. It took me 6 months or more after not having speakers to override my home sound template with a real sound template, till then irrespective of what you hear in the hall after you come home and play your own system for a few hours over a few days it is your home system sound that enters in your subconscious. And we all judge other sounds by that template in the subconscious.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Not sure why any of the comparisons between our perceptions of the ‘live’ event and Mike’s reason for the acquisition of the ML3’s is relevant??
Anyhow, as I said before, I completely understand where Mike is coming from, having done something similar myself. SS amps have a certain flavor...and excel in certain areas, tube amps have a slightly different flavor, and excel in other areas. Having the ability to hear both in your system makes perfect sense to me.
I would go even further, and say that it should be almost mandatory that if an a’phile has the means to accomplish it, that acquiring both technologies be done.
BTW, whenever I have played my Taylor ( acoustic steel 6 string guitar)to any of my visiting a’phile friends and then gotten their feedback, the one thing that is consistent (besides the dropped jaw) is the comment that the sound ‘explodes’ into the room, unlike anything they have ever heard reproduced. That is in many ways the difference between the ‘live’ experience and the reproduced, and why most of us can instantly tell if it is ‘live’ or memorex!
Just to add to your guitar story, my ex is a very talented violinist and we made some solo recordings on R2R tape with her playing Paganini Caprices on a Stradivarius. The room was 20 square meters and I had the mic about 3.5 meters from her...at my listening position. That damn sonic cannon was so powerful that it was all I could do to keep the signal level within range to prevent too much tape saturation. At times it made my ears pulsate. A single violin...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ron,

Given that there is no perfect audio system, what are your personal priorities in sound when you select a system/component? (you can select your own):

- Detail Retrieval
- Full-range Extension
- Midrange magic
- Deep propulsive bass

Do people actually think of these things in isolation? Isn't it about the total package and what sounds best to the listener? That's my measuring stick.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do people actually think of these things in isolation? Isn't it about the total package and what sounds best to the listener? That's my measuring stick.

Hi...its not so much that they are in absolute isolation...its just that (at least for me)...i was prepared to go for bookshelves and sub because midrange magic and all-out bass were greater priorities for me than ruler-flat performance. I was in college and midrange magic and bass were my 2 priorities over all-out extension, upper treble or clarity.

So I went with Celestion SL6si and a sub. It worked well for me...and in fact i then went Guarneri + Velodyne DD18 after that 10 years later. So the formula worked for me where other more full-range/properly balanced speakers did not have the midrange tonality/beauty of the G's...nor the all-out bass attack during movies of the big Velodyne.

It was only when the budget grew substantially greater that I was able to go for a more full-range speaker like the SF Strads when all the lower mids/upper bass started to fill in along with dynamic. And then the big Wilsons with detail, noise floor, effortless all-out dynamic range, etc.

Going back to your question...it was as a result of those priorities that i did not look at competitors to the Celestion + Sub combo that were probably more flat, more even and certainly better in the upper bass. Those similarly priced speakers did not have the refinement of the Celestion nor the all-out power of the sub...but they were certainly more coherent across the spectrum. Hence it was my priorities that made this determination.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Going back to your question...it was as a result of those priorities that i did not look at competitors to the Celestion + Sub combo that were probably more flat, more even and certainly better in the upper bass. Those similarly priced speakers did not have the refinement of the Celestion nor the all-out power of the sub...but they were certainly more coherent across the spectrum. Hence it was my priorities that made this determination.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like you have been able to work your way up to something that sounds right for you.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the explanation. Seems like you have been able to work your way up to something that sounds right for you.

Thanks...funny, all those many years ago i did think about the Vandersteen 1Bs, i think which were about the same price as the Celestion SL6si plus sub. Clearly you have their flagship...have read great things about them. Enjoy.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks...funny, all those many years ago i did think about the Vandersteen 1Bs, i think which were about the same price as the Celestion SL6si plus sub. Clearly you have their flagship...have read great things about them. Enjoy.

I walked my way up the Vandersteen line (2C, 3A Sigs, 5A, 7s).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think it is relevant because Mike just wants two versions of music, with amps in this case, and not just one. Like you, what I am wondering about is why this is a big deal. You don't see debates like this when he changes cart or tape head right? Like all of us he is finding his way and enjoying while he's at it. I like the continuous learning. For me that makes the hobby more fun. If I were forced to listen to music one way, I'd go nuts.

As far as I read the reason of debates is on a very different issue - during many years Mike had a stable bullet proof preamplifer-amplifier system, and suddenly he broke it. His change opened the audiophile pandora box - and we are not debating Mike system any more, we are back to our more basic debates, as always mainly trying to explain our own preferences.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Ron,

- Detail Retrieval
- Full-range Extension
- Midrange magic
- Deep propulsive bass

For me please:
- Deep propulsive bass
- Midrange magic

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me please:
- Deep propulsive bass
- Midrange magic

Interesting...i never really appreciated true all-out dynamic range until much, much later. I knew volume (ie, LOUD), but it was under pressure and looking back, i can tell you the speakers were creaking under the volume. But it had bass and midrange magic (until it got stressed), but at 20, it seemed great.

Once i heard speakers that excelled at all-out EFFORTLESS dynamic range, it was a game-changer for me and HOW and WHAT I listen for in a system.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I get this. After 3+ years of isolation, grounding, emi/rfi shielding...at volume 1 the music feels surprisingly 'whole' and dynamics feel akin to being further away from a performance (ie, quieter, but you still hear the 'swells' in the music). But it took all that time to get it right and hone, hone, hone away the noise. I am sure there is more to go, but this dynamic capability has changed a lot during this time to where listening at 1 is sometimes all i need at 3am...while 28 (now) also seems fine and perfectly at ease...and not at all 'shimmering/shaking' due to dynamics the system cannot handle.
All amplifiers have different grounding schemes and that effects the clarity of the reproduction and this pertains to the total system. So when a different amplifier is substituted you could have more or less clarity which effects every part of the music. Also the more clarity the greater the dispersion of the speakers...where you no longer have a limit to the soundstage even though the music has moved foward.
My Vac amps use to have more clarity,but now my SS amps deliver everything the tubes amps did..plus way more. Why a parallel grounding circuit, which fills the music reproduction with life,emotion,enthusiasm,and a realism. When I say clarity,I mean in focused sense,being able to hear everything in a realistic dimension as it was captured by the microphone. Listening as in the audience is a different perspective. The microphone perspective allows me to judge how good my system is...although still not perfect.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All amplifiers have different grounding schemes and that effects the clarity of the reproduction and this pertains to the total system. So when a different amplifier is substituted you could have more or less clarity which effects every part of the music. Also the more clarity the greater the dispersion of the speakers...where you no longer have a limit to the soundstage even though the music has moved foward.
My Vac amps use to have more clarity,but now my SS amps deliver everything the tubes amps did..plus way more. Why a parallel grounding circuit, which fills the music reproduction with life,emotion,enthusiasm,and a realism. When I say clarity,I mean in focused sense,being able to hear everything in a realistic dimension as it was captured by the microphone. Listening as in the audience is a different perspective. The microphone perspective allows me to judge how good my system is...although still not perfect.

Hey RogerD. Is there anything you miss about your VACs? Seems not at all. I dont either relative to the lesser CJ tube amp i used to run...this is in comparison to the 14-year old Gryphon Antileon let alone my current amp. But given Mike L scratching his SET tube itch, I do have to say it would be fun to try big Lamm SETs on the Wilsons.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hey RogerD. Is there anything you miss about your VACs? Seems not at all. I dont either relative to the lesser CJ tube amp i used to run...this is in comparison to the 14-year old Gryphon Antileon let alone my current amp. But given Mike L scratching his SET tube itch, I do have to say it would be fun to try big Lamm SETs on the Wilsons.
I am so into clarity right now..unless I send my Vacs back to Kevin for a update to a improve the grounding...the SS amps are better right now. I would like to see how the Lamms compare as far as being able to handle large complex dynamics. I am a firm believer in lots of reserve power...regardless of speaker efficiency. My amplifiers are 60 watts class A and 1200 watts AB with a 25 amp circuit breaker. I have never experienced any clipping.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I do very much respect everyone’s right to create and validate their experiences in the framework they need as in the end an experience is ultimately singular even when it’s shared so it’s just for me these notions of only one way to get there that I just can’t agree with.

Totally agree. Even among those who use unamplified live music as reference, tastes in assembling a stereo system differ greatly. It's all a personal thing, there is no one truth. Why? Because we all extract for our experience the things that matter most to each of us, and according to these priorities come to vastly different system configurations. I personally, even though I have heard a great variety of systems, always come back to building on the monitor/sub experience in my medium-sized room, but I totally understand when others go for something else.

But to claim, for example, that SETs and horns should be closest to the truth for everyone is preposterous. Just like it would be preposterous for me to claim that an optimized monitor/sub system is the holy grail (even in a medium-sized room, forget a large one), or for others to claim that it can only big dynamic multi-ways, or ribbons, with SS amplification.

We could go the rounds here on possible configurations, no system -- regardless of cost -- reproduces everything perfectly, what matters is that each of our systems reproduces as optimally as possible (finances also matter to most of us) the things that are most important to each of our very personal experiences, and is good enough in all other areas.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

- Detail Retrieval
- Full-range Extension
- Midrange magic
- Deep propulsive bass

I) OBJECTIVES
I am confident that the most efficient and productive discussion would start by each of us declaring our audio objective from the list of four, and, if a member considers himself to subscribe to more than one of the four objectives, to attempt to approximate for us the relative importance of those multiple objectives.

1) recreate the sound of an original musical event,

2) reproduce exactly what is on the master tape,

3) create a sound subjectively pleasing to the audiophile, and

4) create a sound that seems live.​

II) MUSICAL PREFERENCES
Once objectives are declared, and only after objectives are declared, then I think the next logical step is to declare the type of music in which we primarily are interested (if, and only if, there is a preference for one or more types of music over other types of music).

III) SONIC PRIORITIES
As a third step in this analytical framework I think your list makes perfect sense.

I think this analytical framework -- which I am happy to keep re-proposing :D -- would avoid a large amount of unnecessary confusion and needless posts and endless "talking past" each other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing