Untitled Document

Thread: With stock market booming, are people buying audio gear?

With stock market booming, are people buying audio gear?

Does anyone have insight into this? Are people spending money on gear, or is the industry dying?

I can only speak for myself. The industry is doing just fine. I recently bought a new to me preamp, tone arm and cartridge, a new SUT, and six power cords. Of course it was all used so I'm not sure if that helps the hi end or not.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Yes the stock market is booming, up 22% this year in the US...the DJI.

The wealthy are benefitting, and they want more...it's a natural.
    The people who acquired wisdom through the years are satisfied from contentment provided by what they have, they learned to appreciate more. They share their wealth with their families and friends, eat good, exercise, taking care of their health, protecting their sanity from taxes, and contemplating more liberating new directions with stronger values...entertainment, knowledge, mutual equality, respect, technologies that work towards better communication and environment, 'conscienciousness' of the people living in the world surrounding them.

Yes some buy hirez music, digital music downloads, Tidal and analog LPs, which are also on the rise...a good sign in this digital A.I. crazy world we are getting closer and closer to, till we lost control and robots take over where science fiction become the reality du jour.

Electric cars are also on the list of purchases. ICE cars are expensive to maintain, dirty for the system, hard for the lungs, for the insects and birds.

They say the sky is the limit; in audio where is the sky, above over the clouds from the planet burning?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/08/inve...oom/index.html
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Sales are up over here. That was the consensus across price segments by all the distributors I spoke to at our last show. Two years ago, we were all grumbling.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

I can't speak for the US, but i feel that in the UK we are at 'peak hifi', for demographic and economic reasons.
    The market for high end gear is mainly populated by baby boomers, who are at the zenith of their economic power. They own large homes, have generous pensions and lots of spare time.
    Whereas those that came after, generation X and millenials, are seeing their chances of home ownership receding and incomes stagnating.
    Instead of nest feathering they are more likely to travel.
    Moreover high end gear seems aimed at devotees of classical music and easy listening. The sort of dynamics and bass extension required to recreate the festival experience are not the priority of many manufacturers, and to achieve this one must spend huge amounts of money and have a lot of space.

As the older generation shuffle off this mortal coil i suspect there will be a glut of used high end kit offered on the second hand market.
    So i predict good times ahead for those looking for pre owned bargains, but a general contraction in the high end market
    AF 301 statement / ikeda it407 / vdh colibri xgw
    kodo the beat
    wavac prt1
    boulder 2060, 1008
    focal stella utopia em3
    four velodyne dd18+ in stereo bass stacks
    yba cd1 delta 3box
    artesania esoteric
    entreq atlantis interconnects
    entreq olympus tellus
    dedicated mains straps for all components
    two vicoustic victotem behind speakers

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    It's hard to say, but things have been fine and steady for me except for a few weeks over the summer which is typical. Things are very competitive though, and if my products weren't better than most I'd be out of business quickly. Luckily, I tend to win most comparisons vs my competitors.

I sell mostly in the US but I think Europe/Asia would be a better market from the info I've received and I will make some efforts to market more overseas.

Also, I do feel direct and dealer sale are really 2 separate markets and I'm not sure how much commonality there will be. From everything I've experienced there is very little chance of a traditional buyer (buys from local dealers) even looking at direct-sale brands.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Congrats! Careful of counterfeits overseas
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF