How many systems -- more than one , or one is enough.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Really incredible David for everything and vintage speaker.
Please can you explain me,i don't know,why i am so excited and i like a lot the sound of vintage speaker like jbl 4343,Paragon,Hartsfield,Beveridge,KLH 9,quad 57,Acoustat X,RTR,
I never listen Klangfilm,and after i listen 10 minutes,the new speaker also very expensive,after 10minutes i am boring?
I dont understand
Regards
Gian

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Current,

Room 1 Klangfilm Bionor with the ML3's etc as you can see in the link below, with Lamm ML2s replacing the ML3s

Room 2 In rotation is various speakers but the JBL M9500's are the main ones

Living room is TAD Bass horn with Klangfilm horns, 2nd room is JBL Metrogon, mostly with the Denons but a few integrated SETs too.

Main room was the Bionor as the main speaker all other Klangfilm horns including earlier field coils, some WE, early Altec & JBL theater systems too, electronics were all Lamm, EMT & AS tts, Revox & Studer tape decks. Also some Klangfilm, WE & Altec Push/Pull amps.

david

Hi david,

Quite the collection...I'm sure there are others that have impressive collections,but I have would choose yours. You mention a TAD bass horn...what is it?
Since I was small,I have always wanted a system that reminded of the sound I experienced in theaters during the 1950's and 60's . I hope my 2nd system will move me closer to that goal.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks Dave, and yes the 40.2s and 30.2s are definitely not neutral but they do the music first and trick me into not noticing their sound so much and yet still seem to give so much info seemingly coherently. In a relaxed living area I really want to be more focussed on the music and not have the system call too much attention to itself beyond the occasional glow of valves at night.

In the room of ribbons I’m going to let the whole setup be as dedicated and absolute and balanced and revealing as it can be.

Oooh concrete bass horns, nice, yes I think I can work that in! Back to the drawing board go I...

Cool, you should post a thread on the new place! Bass horns that extend near 20 Hz are so massive that they're completely impractical... unless they are a feature built-into your house. :) I hope you manage to do it, it would be awesome.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Really incredible David for everything and vintage speaker.
Please can you explain me,i don't know,why i am so excited and i like a lot the sound of vintage speaker like jbl 4343,Paragon, Hartsfield,Beveridge, KLH 9,quad 57,Acoustat X, RTR,
I never listen Klangfilm,and after i listen 10 minutes,the new speaker also very expensive,after 10minutes i am boring?
I dont understand
Regards
Gian

Ciao Gian,

I understand your comment very well and aside from a very few exceptions I have a hard time listening to modern speakers, most sound mechanical in comparison specially in the bass, the modern cones are just too heavy and too slow given how much more travel they have. Some designers are now trying to compensate with half active designs which imo don't work. Then there's the cabinet design which they moved from instrument like lively resonant boxes to stiff and now to so called inert ones. The sound character changes when it comes from a dead, lifeless box. They were designed with a different soul in the Golden Era of Audio with very different sensibilities and I guess as we age our nature get's drawn more to the easy natural sound of the vintage beauties. The mistake that a lot of people make is that use old, darker sounding electronics that over the years have lost most of the even limited sparkle that they had and get a woolly sound and think that's what vintage is about but it's only when you match them with first rate electronics like Lamm SETs that you'll realize the full abilities of the golden beauties and their timeless sound. For me still the purest most natural sound is a top vintage horn and a Lamm SET. You're welcome to stop by if you ever travel to this area and you'll hear it for yourself.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi david,

Quite the collection...I'm sure there are others that have impressive collections,but I have would choose yours. You mention a TAD bass horn...what is it?
Since I was small,I have always wanted a system that reminded of the sound I experienced in theaters during the 1950's and 60's . I hope my 2nd system will move me closer to that goal.

Hi Roger,

It's a vintage TAD woofer and bass cabinet which I find very flexible and easy to use with various other horns if you can't get the Klangfilm. Here's a few with JBL Smiths horn, JBL Hartsfield horn, and Altec 803 horn. It can go horizontal too and just pick your horn, compression driver with matching crossover.

L_001905.jpg

L_001899.jpg

L_001893-2.jpg

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very cool, David! (I don't even remember seeing all of these. I must've been too stunned by the Bionors -- like looking into the sun!)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Very cool, David! (I don't even remember seeing all of these. I must've been too stunned by the Bionors -- like looking into the sun!)
They were in the living room and it wasn’t the shine of the Bionor that blocked your vision my friend, at the time you only had eyes for your beautiful Tinka :)!

david

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Bass horns that extend near 20 Hz are so massive that they're completely impractical... unless they are a feature built-into your house. :) I hope you manage to do it, it would be awesome.

Sorry for being OT but how much space would such a bass horn "consume"?
I know that one online made with layed bricks below the floor but is there another possibility, maybe in the attic with connection to the living room?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,

It's a vintage TAD woofer and bass cabinet which I find very flexible and easy to use with various other horns if you can't get the Klangfilm. Here's a few with JBL Smiths horn, JBL Hartsfield horn, and Altec 803 horn. It can go horizontal too and just pick your horn, compression driver with matching crossover.

View attachment 37381

View attachment 37382

View attachment 37383

david
Excellent David and thanks for sharing again...my quest continues. Btw that TAD is a 1601 series...you know that,mine are 1603's. The Smith horn is similar to the Lake which I have. I will also use a large Raye audio horn much like the TAD...same designer.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They were in the living room and it wasn’t the shine of the Bionor that blocked your vision my friend, at the time you only had eyes for your beautiful Tinka :)!

david

:D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

david

At that "love is in the air" moment, I think anything went into Ron's ears sounded terrific....so can't really take Ron's words for granted that DDK's system sounds absolutely " beyond." :D

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) sometimes because the ML2 has a different flavor than the GM70'd ML3. (...)

Interesting - can you give us a few details on this aspect? You refer the older ML2 or the new versions?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Interesting - can you give us a few details on this aspect? You refer the older ML2 or the new versions?

I have the original ML2 but it’s also true of new ones, with the ML2 there’s an intimate quality to the sound that you don’t always have with other amps, it’s ML2’s magic and unique perspective.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Excellent David and thanks for sharing again...my quest continues. Btw that TAD is a 1601 series...you know that,mine are 1603's. The Smith horn is similar to the Lake which I have. I will also use a large Raye audio horn much like the TAD...same designer.
Im actually following your project and very curious to see how it comes together. One thing I’m not messing with is digital crossovers, might use a an analog one if needed but tend to use what the manufacturer had for that particular horn/driver system.
david

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Im actually following your project and very curious to see how it comes together. One thing I’m not messing with is digital crossovers, might use a an analog one if needed but tend to use what the manufacturer had for that particular horn/driver system.
david

There are several world class analog crossovers from the 70's and 80's (Accuphase & Pioneer), does anyone make a great analog crossover anymore?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
There are several world class analog crossovers from the 70's and 80's (Accuphase & Pioneer), does anyone make a great analog crossover anymore?

Pass XVR-1

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend has Pass XVR1 that is balanced and unbalanced but he told me that the FIRST WATT B4 has same design,more simple because is only unbalanced that cost much less but he told me that the sound is better than XVR1
Also in Pass forum in USA tell that First watt B4 sound more natural than XVR1 and cost 4/5 times less

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing