TotalDac D1 Seven

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He said he "wants to avoid expensive tubes etc if possible," and "dont want to get sucked into constant updates," Bonzo. I interpret that as not into tube rolling my friend ;).

Tang

No, but during demo you need to roll to check which matches your system and then you can settle with it without tube rolling

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Astro have you experimented with different servers besides your Mac mini?

Ha good question Sir! Answer no I haven't, oops. BUT I did have a range of CDPs before and I am convinced 100% I am beyond that now. I have been active over at head-fi on the Rednet thread and many of those guys have been on the built up PC trail, modded server DIY and then Rednet Ethernet and LPS tweaks.

I have worked on Macs for years, so prefer to have complete control over the computer side. I can see a pre-built is a nice idea, not saying they don't sound better either. my journey was running Audirvana+ as the player software, then updating and tweaking the Laptop, then an iMac, then a Mac Mini and running it headless on screen share. I have the PS in it deactivated and running from a 12V LPS using the UpTone Audio MMC card kit. Then added the Rednet 3 which used Dante and I send Ethernet on 1000BaseT to the Rednet, then SPDIF out to my DAC. I also changed the power supply in the Rednet to LPS inside the chassis, so nice and neat.

TBH the dropping of USB was a huge upgrade. Then adding the LPS to the Mac Mini and then the Rednet 3. I am very happy right now. It is a dead simple end to end network, no switches or routers. I have my music files on an External Firewire drive (also on LPS). The whole system inc my DAC and amp is on a PS Audio P10 which also cleaned up things.

My aims may be different to some, as I am on no filter no up sampling DACs so never wanted to upsample on a server, which may be a other drive to spend on pre-built options? Also IMO even top servers still seem to have the PS in the one box, as it is socially more acceptable, easier to sell to more folk.

IMO digital sound is super sensitive to noise, any noise in the power lines or data. Getting rid of that noise gets you down to super smooth liquid sound, like vinyl. Ha Ha, all this crazy stuff to catch up to records that we had in the 80's - bonkers!! :eek:

But yes, there may be better servers out there, but I am not wanting to spend 10K on one, or be in a closed system. Computers date faster than anything I can think of, and 10K on a computer is insane to me. Maybe the TotalDAC servers are better value?

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe the TotalDAC servers are better value?

It could be !... but is it the best device ? obviously,I don't know. However what I know is that, it offers a stunning synergy with Totaldac DAC and especialy with this d1-seven which we're talking about here ! and do not forget their options, probably, essentials after listening that are his extra power supply (dedicated card server) and the USB GIGAfilter!

This set, d1-server / USBGigafilter / d1-seven really does something special, no more questions, only answers... a real new reference for me ! This is the end... and the beginning.

Be well, all.

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Ha good question Sir! Answer no I haven't, oops. BUT I did have a range of CDPs before and I am convinced 100% I am beyond that now. I have been active over at head-fi on the Rednet thread and many of those guys have been on the built up PC trail, modded server DIY and then Rednet Ethernet and LPS tweaks.

I have worked on Macs for years, so prefer to have complete control over the computer side. I can see a pre-built is a nice idea, not saying they don't sound better either. my journey was running Audirvana+ as the player software, then updating and tweaking the Laptop, then an iMac, then a Mac Mini and running it headless on screen share. I have the PS in it deactivated and running from a 12V LPS using the UpTone Audio MMC card kit. Then added the Rednet 3 which used Dante and I send Ethernet on 1000BaseT to the Rednet, then SPDIF out to my DAC. I also changed the power supply in the Rednet to LPS inside the chassis, so nice and neat.

TBH the dropping of USB was a huge upgrade. Then adding the LPS to the Mac Mini and then the Rednet 3. I am very happy right now. It is a dead simple end to end network, no switches or routers. I have my music files on an External Firewire drive (also on LPS). The whole system inc my DAC and amp is on a PS Audio P10 which also cleaned up things.

My aims may be different to some, as I am on no filter no up sampling DACs so never wanted to upsample on a server, which may be a other drive to spend on pre-built options? Also IMO even top servers still seem to have the PS in the one box, as it is socially more acceptable, easier to sell to more folk.

IMO digital sound is super sensitive to noise, any noise in the power lines or data. Getting rid of that noise gets you down to super smooth liquid sound, like vinyl. Ha Ha, all this crazy stuff to catch up to records that we had in the 80's - bonkers!! :eek:

But yes, there may be better servers out there, but I am not wanting to spend 10K on one, or be in a closed system. Computers date faster than anything I can think of, and 10K on a computer is insane to me. Maybe the TotalDAC servers are better value?

Agreed 100% of your journey!!!
I've done the same except for Rednet 3. Very interesting. I tested Bricasti M5 and I liked the result.
Do you use crossed ethernet cable from Mac Mini to R3?

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hey BF,Are you running your Seven direct to amps?

Now, i play with an integrated amp, Absolare S but before yes !
I have long played with some tube amps (the last, mono 845 Voxativ,customized) using the Totaldac digital volume control with a lot of fun !
and i think, you need a very good pre-amp that does not eat music to go beyond and can increase the feeling of space and musical life.

But I also know guys with quite big systems who prefer the totaldac digital volume (64 bits) to everything else, depends on it.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Astro, if you get to buy the Aries Cerat, I would love to read your comments about it, and its comparison with GG. Actually the Aries is a DAC that draws my attention

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi Astro, if you get to buy the Aries Cerat, I would love to read your comments about it, and its comparison with GG. Actually the Aries is a DAC that draws my attention

Don't worry, I will be here relaying how it shapes up. The Aries Cerat appeals to my ideals of:

1. R-2R
2. Tube line stage
3. I/V transformers in the digital to voltage conversion (no opp amps in this all important section)
4. Output transformers (drive the next stage with wide band and low impedance)
5. Ladder digital engine with my favourite chip, the AD1865 (famous chip said by some as the best sounding ever made)
6. Big power supplies (give the DAC the drive it needs)
7. Class A and no feedback line stage

I have lived with Audio Note DACs for 15 years, had all the kits and many I modded, and the Audio Note UK 4.1 and DAC 5 Special (modded with Duelund caps).

My trusty old girl DAC 5 saw off many modern DACs inc the CH Precision C1, the GG, the DAVE, Aqua La Scala MK2, AMR DP-777, Naim CD555, and some others I can't remember right now. Basically the Audio Note DACs are super smooth, very organic. There failing may be they are slightly coloured and possibly not fully dynamic compared to the best modern DACs in the top league. But are very easy to live with and enjoy, just forget the gear kind of DACs.

I find digital music in long sessions can make me anxious if the DAC isn't as analogue sounding as possible, no idea why. I love detail, transparency, depth, all those things. But it has to be part of the picture, not thrown up front and in your face.

In talks to owners of the Kassandra, they report it has the fluid sound I like but also has detail and amazing dynamics, the later is something special apparently. We are supposed to have 120db range with CD but I don't here that in many DACs. In fact vinyl has more dynamic contrast especially in the midrange.

The Kassandra will hopefully be my end game DAC, and being new (not 8 years old like my DAC5) should last me a long time.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Hi Astro,

Were you ever able to audition any of the TotalDAC’s, or is your curiosity piqued by the reviews/word of mouth? One thing that has pulled me to the TotalDAC is the synergy between the D1 Server/Reclocker and the TotalDAC DAC lineup. Much of the new advancements in digital technology has been related to clocking and the intrinsic value of compatibility between various devices such as the Server/DAC. If you are planning on doing a fair amount of streaming I think this is something you should explore. I have had the Naim CD555 (pre-computer audio era), Aqua, and Chord DAVE in my system and have heard the GG enough times and have always found myself wanting more (or less). I was looking at the DAC 5 as an option before I decided to go TotalDAC, but the pricing is a bit out of reach for me. I am going to hold off on any more comments until after I get the DAC Seven and Reclocker, which should be within two weeks.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi Astro,

Were you ever able to audition any of the TotalDAC’s, or is your curiosity piqued by the reviews/word of mouth? One thing that has pulled me to the TotalDAC is the synergy between the D1 Server/Reclocker and the TotalDAC DAC lineup. Much of the new advancements in digital technology has been related to clocking and the intrinsic value of compatibility between various devices such as the Server/DAC. If you are planning on doing a fair amount of streaming I think this is something you should explore. I have had the Naim CD555 (pre-computer audio era), Aqua, and Chord DAVE in my system and have heard the GG enough times and have always found myself wanting more (or less). I was looking at the DAC 5 as an option before I decided to go TotalDAC, but the pricing is a bit out of reach for me. I am going to hold off on any more comments until after I get the DAC Seven and Reclocker, which should be within two weeks.

I heard the TotalDAC dual at a meet some time back. My main reason not going TotalDAC was I wanted a tube line stage really, I was just hooked on that route. The rest of my setup is SS, so having tubes 'somewhere' in my findings over the years brings it back to reality or in my opinion the timbre and body is more accurate. But only if the tube stage is of suitable quality of course.

There is jitter in any CDP that gets transferred to the DAC, and jitter in a computer or server as well. The errors need to be dealt with at the start of the receiving end, or you end up with the dreaded 'digital sound'. After much messing around with gear I am happy with my simple server solution. I have no interest really in a closed system. But that is me.

The Kassandra has double reclocking in the DAC so it should result in a grain free non digital sound. I have buddies who run a daisy chain of Mutec USB+ clocker (for the clock only) in 2 or 3 boxes then feed their DACs. They tell each time it takes away more of the grain. And of course the insane money dCS with external clocks is doing much the same. I don't know much about Vincents server, but it does seem competitively priced v other top servers. I think the Lampi server as about the same cost? I guess most of the sales of those servers will be to like for like buyers who want the system.

On the Audio Note DAC 5 you can find ones used if you look long enough. But there is a lot of fraud, and many are messed with, fake parts or just plain fake ads. The DAC 5 Signatures often pop up at 20K used, but sit there forever. Mine was a DAC 5 Special 8 years old which I paid 7.7K euros for. Nice condition, but quite old I guess. And of course no USB, though I wasn't bothered about that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Astro,

You heard the GG in your system? Which tubes?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

Bonzo75, top respect for your knowledge and contributions. But not everyone will think the GG is the best DAC in the world. And many won't agree with me either. It is the fun or annoyance if you like, of the audio journey.

Anyway, I expect a blow back from the one man crusade.... so hard hats donned right now.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Bonzo75, top respect for your knowledge and contributions. But not everyone will think the GG is the best DAC in the world. And many won't agree with me either. It is the fun or annoyance if you like, of the audio journey.

Anyway, I expect a blow back from the one man crusade.... so hard hats donned right now.

Not from me. For me it’s all about having fun and a good time (Period). Peace and love, Peace and love.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I didn't say, just asked, if are demoing it, are you doing properly? Rolling tubes? If yes and you don't like it, fine.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
I heard the TotalDAC dual at a meet some time back. My main reason not going TotalDAC was I wanted a tube line stage really, I was just hooked on that route. The rest of my setup is SS, so having tubes 'somewhere' in my findings over the years brings it back to reality or in my opinion the timbre and body is more accurate. But only if the tube stage is of suitable quality of course.

There is jitter in any CDP that gets transferred to the DAC, and jitter in a computer or server as well. The errors need to be dealt with at the start of the receiving end, or you end up with the dreaded 'digital sound'. After much messing around with gear I am happy with my simple server solution. I have no interest really in a closed system. But that is me.

The Kassandra has double reclocking in the DAC so it should result in a grain free non digital sound. I have buddies who run a daisy chain of Mutec USB+ clocker (for the clock only) in 2 or 3 boxes then feed their DACs. They tell each time it takes away more of the grain. And of course the insane money dCS with external clocks is doing much the same. I don't know much about Vincents server, but it does seem competitively priced v other top servers. I think the Lampi server as about the same cost? I guess most of the sales of those servers will be to like for like buyers who want the system.

On the Audio Note DAC 5 you can find ones used if you look long enough. But there is a lot of fraud, and many are messed with, fake parts or just plain fake ads. The DAC 5 Signatures often pop up at 20K used, but sit there forever. Mine was a DAC 5 Special 8 years old which I paid 7.7K euros for. Nice condition, but quite old I guess. And of course no USB, though I wasn't bothered about that.

What I intend/hope to end up with is a PC which has Roon Server/Tidal/JRiver/HQPlayer installed. The SOtM-200 Ultra with upgraded clocks getting stream via Ethernet from modified Ethernet switch w/upgraded parts/clock (aforementioned powered with LPSU) > TotalDAC Reclocker (no server) > D1 Seven DAC > ARC Ref 6. This should give me just about any option for future server software down the road and not tied into any services. The only unknown (for now) is where MQA is going. I think this will outperform ANY other Server options (at any price) given my choice of DAC.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
What I intend/hope to end up with is a PC which has Roon Server/Tidal/JRiver/HQPlayer installed. The SOtM-200 Ultra with upgraded clocks getting stream via Ethernet from modified Ethernet switch w/upgraded parts/clock (aforementioned powered with LPSU) > TotalDAC Reclocker (no server) > D1 Seven DAC > ARC Ref 6. This should give me just about any option for future server software down the road and not tied into any services. The only unknown (for now) is where MQA is going. I think this will outperform ANY other Server options (at any price) given my choice of DAC.

That is until we start getting the files sent directly to our brain!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017

Hey Bonzo,

First, let me say that even though I am new here, I am familiar with and respect your opinions and contributions. I even owe you a Thank You for your compelling posts regarding the Apogee speakers both on this forum your own Zero Distortion (which I think has great potential if you can keep it up) as I have owned a pair now for over a year and am in sonic bliss.

I have never heard the GG in my system, only in a friends system that I am very familiar with. TBH the GG wasn’t even on my radar, and I would not have even mentioned it if someone else hadn’t brought it up into this thread (which seemed really weird considering the scope of discussion).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing