TotalDac D1 Seven

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Hi, Has anyone listened to or compared this to the good old six, or any other top DACs, other than the Lampizator. Totaldac offers discount if (separate) Server is bought as a package so if anyone has experience with the server any opinions here would be appreciated too.

TIA

Last edited:

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
I have been exchanging emails with Vincent and he quoted me one week. Based on the sound of the six (which I have heard) and the twelve (which I haven't heard, but have read quite a bit about) I am thinking about buying it. I would love to hear any feedback though before I pull the trig.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
You can read my past posts and figure out real quick what I think, but having owned the D1 Dual, the Monobloc, and now the Twelve, each and every single Totaldac has offered me more enjoyment than any other DAC at their price points. They truly are like picking out the turntable that you can afford. They all sound very analog, but you get more as you move up the line. More resolution, more scale, more more more. Forget the usual shortcomings. They do not exist here.

I could enjoy and listen all day to Vincent's cheapest DAC. There is no other company's product lineup that I can say the same about all their DAC's. But like a drug, I had to have more more more once I got my foot in the door. Hope this helps.

Edit: I hit 100 posts! :)

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Well I just put a hefty deposit down on the Seven. Should have it within 2 to 3 weeks. I figure even if it’s only a little better than the Six, I will be fine. I expect it will be more.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
TY. Will do.

I'm also very interested in your thoughts on the Seven when you will have spent some time with it.
Would the new Aqua Formula xHD be able to compete with the Totaldac Seven ?
Both of these DACs are on my shortlist for my future upgrade.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi Iamrael,
I am still very young (hihi) but finally quite old in totaldac with upgrades from the beginning of the range and now the SEVEN for a few weeks... so I can, serenely tell you that, the march proposed by this amazing SEVEN is more singular than all the previous ones, probably another dimension with a part of the stunning d1-Twelve genes that i know also quite well. For me, just a real new reference !

and yet I still love the six and all these predecessors.

Congratulations!

PS : Thieliste, i don't know this Aqua Formula xHD but it should be severely powerful to play with this seven!

Last edited:

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
IME, it is more about a day of warm up time with the Totaldac DAC's. All of the Totaldac DAC's I have had and have, sound great after warming up, but I don't really notice any big changes with extended time. Vincent takes care of all that burn in stuff for you.

All of the Totaldac DAC's are the very definition of organic.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
IME, it is more about a day of warm up time with the Totaldac DAC's. All of the Totaldac DAC's I have had and have, sound great after warming up, but I don't really notice any big changes with extended time. Vincent takes care of all that burn in stuff for you.

All of the Totaldac DAC's are the very definition of organic.

I have admired the TotalDACs for some time. Can I ask those who may know, does the TotalDAC digital engine upsample Redbook, or is it kept at 44.1? Is there a digital filter applied or is it without i.e. zero processing of the data. I have found I prefer DACs without any filter or processing, to keep it all real sounding. :rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have admired the TotalDACs for some time. Can I ask those who may know, does the TotalDAC digital engine upsample Redbook, or is it kept at 44.1? Is there a digital filter applied or is it without i.e. zero processing of the data. I have found I prefer DACs without any filter or processing, to keep it all real sounding. :rolleyes:

Sorry for being OT here, but have you, astrostar, ever listened to a Lampi DAC?
That might just be right for your taste :eek:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Sorry for being OT here, but have you, astrostar, ever listened to a Lampi DAC?
That might just be right for your taste :eek:

I have heard the GG this year, in my Stax system with 009s and my custom Carbon amp, v my then resident Audio Note DAC 5. I have no DAC right now, well my lowly AMR. I am going for the Kassandra Ref II, seems like my cup of tea. The GG was nice, but not maybe right for me, I am hard into Redbook only, no interest in DSD. And I want to avoid expensive tubes etc if possible, though I like a tube DAC. I also don't want to get sucked into constant updates, not that that is really bad, it is just I want an end game DAC, no more spending or messing around with stuff. My Audio Note DAC 5 was very nice, but I am thinking things may have moved on in the digital world, though the 'old girl' still managed to kill off most newcomers.

Anyway, that is my story. Keep you posted, but Aries Cerat is doing some magical things and they are very creative and high end, and crucially to me, are expensive yes, but that is aligning with the performance on offer.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017

Hi Astrostar,
The Totaldac conversion philosophy is exactly in this "natural" spirit, no oversampling, no automatic digital filtering... the signal is just directly processed as it comes And I agree with you when it is well done (as here) it is, probably the best way to respect the musical message!

Looks at the d1-seven, the last stunning work of Vincent Brient.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Astro, when you heard it did you try different tubes to see which suited?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi Astrostar,
The Totaldac conversion philosophy is exactly in this "natural" spirit, no oversampling, no automatic digital filtering... the signal is just directly processed as it comes And I agree with you when it is well done (as here) it is, probably the best way to respect the musical message!

Looks at the d1-seven, the last stunning work of Vincent Brient.

Indeed, I find it odd how so many (more than the NOS camp we are talking about here) continue buying the latest fancy chassis DS DAC at more and more silly money. But aside from the digital system / PCB, the power supply and gain stages are possibly even more important. So many DACs I have tried (and ones I 'flipped up the lid' had weak Opp Amps and poor power supplies, cheap parts even, in a big ticket box. And I am not on about simple designs, more about the implementation. I say, if the manufacturer also makes great pre-amps, then you are probably on the right track, as that experience in the power supply and gain stages of their pre-amps are commonly used in their best DACs. It is not about the digital numbers game, we all got onto that over the last few years and many realised it was BS.

Vincent seems to be making good products, and even the early models still stand up today. I was so so close to buying a TotalDAC 6 2 years back, hovering over the pay button. Alas things happened. Possibly it was because I couldn't get a demo where I lived, or knew anyone with one. So I bought my Audio Note DAC 5 used. No big deal, I sold it out at very near the same cost 22 months later. But I am now obsessed with the Kassandra Ref II, I have a good feeling about it, and have chatted with a lot of owners, some who had my Audio Note DAC 5. Exciting times ahead then.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Astro, when you heard it did you try different tubes to see which suited?

He said he "wants to avoid expensive tubes etc if possible," and "dont want to get sucked into constant updates," Bonzo. I interpret that as not into tube rolling my friend ;).

Tang

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
He said he "wants to avoid expensive tubes etc if possible," and "dont want to get sucked into constant updates," Bonzo. I interpret that as not into tube rolling my friend ;).

Tang

No need for tube rolling with GG.
Just order right away with KR 5U4G rectifier and KR 242 Output tubes and be done :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing