Confessions of an Audiophile Junky-I Got Center Stage With Pitch Perfect Sound

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would like to remind the readers that Center Stage will be in the Potomac Room at next month's Capitol Audiofest where it will be under all the electronics and will be featured with VAC, VSA MB. Come hear it for yourself

I know I will try a set sometime in 2018. Thank you Joel and Steve for answering the myriad of questions posed here and dealing professionally with some of the more rude and out of line comments. If there is a way I can reliably compare them with my heavy investment in stillpoints, I'm all ears ! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, yes I plead guilty to as much hyperbole as the next person, esp with my positive experiences with Stacores.
Stones and glasshouses etc LOL.
I think my issue was the claim for an unusual/unique effect (ie bringing the stage fwd/being put into the orchestra) that on further discussion got amended to a more standard claim of expanding soundstage/breaking down the walls of the listening room/getting rid of barriers.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Is it possible that we are confusing the joy we derive from listening to our sound systems, with our reactions to the all too pervasive high end audio advertising BS and hyperbole, especially with regard to cables and tweaks? Are we also forgetting that individual emotions/excitement, something we really do not understand, play a massive role with human perceptions, preferences and behaviors? In my opinion, whether we like to admit it or not, emotion plays a role for most or all of us with regard to our enjoyment/passion for audio.

Everyone of us has had many late night listening sessions adjusting our respective systems to reach audio nirvana, only to get up the next morning and relisten for what takes less than a minute to conclude, “what was I thinking that this sounded great last night.” The science did not change since the previous night, the listener did, in ways that we in the perceptual field have yet to find a way to define.

If what is the best sound is governed solely by science and engineering, we would all have the same systems at key price points. But, a look at the make-up of our respective systems shows such diversity in the “scientific chain” producing the sound that is the end result of the “science portion” that it is undeniable that there are other factors in play in the process of determining what is better/best sound.

As a psychiatrist treating a wide range of people for decades, I have seen an appreciable increase in the effectiveness of my work efforts and patient happiness with the evolution of my treatment techniques as I have forced myself to increasingly focus on the role of each individual’s perceptual component of what I am offering in my treatment and its impact on their beliefs and behaviors, not to mention their overall life happiness.

As I said in my initial post on this thread, I use my system to help me get out of my head and back to a calmer state after dealing with major life issues for each of my up to twenty patients per day so that I can return to being Russ from being Dr. Russ. For years I used computerized real-time physiologic monitoring to try to quantify if someone was lost in their thoughts/head, widely regarded as unhealthy, or able to shift to a calmer, less angry and relaxed state. While I made some critical progress on that front, I was repeatedly reminded that being human is somewhat intangible, not to mention distinctly individual. I also realized this missing intangible component could not be, nor need to be, rationally explained for the person to conclude what is the best choice for a thought/behavior that they want to be part of their life.

I think this many of the posts on this thread are missing the point that all of us have used our emotions as we repeatedly concluded to spend obscene amounts of money and time tweaking and building our systems. It also helps explain why we all have difference preferences in food/restaurants, cars, significant others, etc.

I bought four sets of these footers for FULL PRICE, not at a discount as suggested to help influence my opinion, because they gave me an improvement in my overall listening experience that I deemed worth the $4800, based on the gains I have achieved historically as I made changes to my system. I still do not really understand what the MIT network boxes do to my interconnects, speaker wire and PC’s, yet I have spent an outrageous amount on that front because I like the end result, even if there might be a theoretically better option.

I tried to stress in my initial post on this thread that what led me to conclude to purchase the CS footers was the marked increase in believability and enjoyment of my overall system, which in turn helped me get lost in the sound, whether I was sitting on the stage, row k center in the orchestra or just listening to life. The fact that the footers helped me ignore my system and feel the content is what matters to me to the point that I was getting up in the middle of the night to listen or early in the AM before going to work is a much powerful statement to me, and I suspect most of you, than some theory. When I recently bought my 2018 Audi S5 cabrio, I made my decision based on how much I enjoyed driving the car, the car’s ability to meet my needs and the price, not specs, the review or my theories about the technology that makes the car one of the best all around driving cars I have driven.

I just reread the Perfect Pitch web site and especially the section on “what makes them better than other footers”. I read this for the first time after experimenting with the footers and understanding their impact. Now that I have just read the same section as if I had not heard them, I can see why skepticism has been raised by some of the posts because it sounds too good to be true and because it presumes that everyone will consider them the best option, which of course will not be the case.

Maybe a bit more humility in this section and the option to return them within 30 days instead of 14 days might reduce barriers to experiment with them in an individual’s system and likely increase sales, because the proof is in the pudding!

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,
just scanning this thread - all arguments will go on until (1) people get to Steve's room and listen with and without and, if they like the results, (2) get it into their system and listen with and without....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Russ (Dr. Russ only in working hrs or at conferences LOL), I get you.
I'm an osteopath, and stress of working can certainly get to me, although thankfully I'm nowhere near as busy as you.
My comments have been over construed as direct criticism.
To put the record straight, if they work they work, no arguments from me.
I just personally shy away from anything in life touted as absolutely unique, that could be a new toothpaste, it it could be footers.
I guess differentiation is needed in the mktplace, esp one as crowded as the footers world.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Hey Russ (Dr. Russ only in working hrs or at conferences LOL), I get you.
I'm an osteopath, and stress of working can certainly get to me, although thankfully I'm nowhere near as busy as you.
My comments have been over construed as direct criticism.
To put the record straight, if they work they work, no arguments from me.
I just personally shy away from anything in life touted as absolutely unique, that could be a new toothpaste, it it could be footers.
I guess differentiation is needed in the mktplace, esp one as crowded as the footers world.
I totally agree which is why I made my suggestions to Steve about modifying his web site.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agreed.
Unfortunately for Joel and Steve it then becomes just another message about improved performance with no hyperbole of uniqueness built in, and less likely to stand out.
So I fully get why Steve and Joel went for the original ad speak.
Didn't MasterBuilt claims have to be toned down too?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Agreed.
Unfortunately for Joel and Steve it then becomes just another message about improved performance with no hyperbole of uniqueness built in, and less likely to stand out.
So I fully get why Steve and Joel went for the original ad speak.
Didn't MasterBuilt claims have to be toned down too?
I think it would be best to say, try them and judge for yourself and see why people who have are so excited.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Gentlemen,
just scanning this thread - all arguments will go on until (1) people get to Steve's room and listen with and without and, if they like the results, (2) get it into their system and listen with and without....

I am not sure that this method of direct comparison is possible because of the "settling in" time it takes once placed under the component. There was some mention that the top surface of the footer and bottom surface of the component need time to bond. Not having had the pleasure of meeting Steve, or he me, I'm not so sure that I or anyone would be welcome at his house for the seven or more days it takes to switch these devices in and out of a system. However, there were a couple of reports up thread that the improvement could be heard out of the box, immediately with the latest version.

A home trial seems to make more sense. One can listen to his system without the devices, insert them under one or more components, witness/endure the settling period, and then listen critically for a day or two. Then remove them and listen to the prior footers for an evening. I guess the improvement should be pretty obvious, but that would still take at least a week or so. Then, add a few of days for 3-day shipping and the two weeks is just enough. I agree that 30 days would be better, especially to schedule friends' to visit for additional comments. But with all of this demand for the product, a two week turnaround makes sense to get them out the door to the next potential customer. Interestingly, non have been returned so far, so the whole trial period may be a moot issue anyway.

I am hoping that one of my Boston area audio buddies orders a set to evaluate. Hint, hint.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
How about a tour? Send 8 of them around to folks wanting to try them out? I get first dibs on the tour spot if you do it! :)

I did this with my cables and it's a great way to get feedback, testimonials and comparisons with other products.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Considering the burn in is 7 days.

Why is 14 days the trial period and even if you return within the 14 day period you pay a 35% restocking fee?

regards

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
"Considering the burn in is 7 days.

Why is 14 days the trial period and even if you return within the 14 day period you pay a 35% restocking fee?"

Great question!

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Considering the burn in is 7 days.

Why is 14 days the trial period and even if you return within the 14 day period you pay a 35% restocking fee?

regards

Indeed. Considering the overwhelming demand for these devices, few sets are likely to be returned. And if a few buyers are not completely satisfied, I would think that they could quickly turn around and sell them on WBF or Audiogon for more than 65% of what they paid one week earlier and come out ahead instead of returning them and paying what seems like a pretty high restocking fee. And since there is now a waiting period for new stock, I can imagine that some people would be happy to pay 80-90% for a demo pair with quick delivery. Another alternative could be that those who return the first few sets could get a 90% refund and then the returned sets could go out on tour and be purchased for 85% of retail as demo sets. Just thinking at the keyboard.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Having read the entire thread ... I think Steve and Joe have behaved very honourably

Ultimately the market will decide if these really are a leap forward... pun intended

Be interesting to know how many returns there have been ?

I am just speculating but given the small footprint of these I am thinking they use “smart metal” for vibration control or absorption/ conversion to heat

The fact that they need excellent contact with the components, suggests there needs to be good coupling to the component so that there is transfer of vibrational energy to the footer, where much of this is turned into heat

This may be why it takes a while to bed in, to obtain the good contact, and the warning about removing the paper surface and not putting on screws etc

Also this will allow greater equilibrium between the footer and the component, much like you need to leave a thermometer long enough in your mouth to get an accurate reading of temperature ... this is the Zeroth law of thermodynamics

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Having read the entire thread ... I think Steve and Joe have behaved very honourably

Ultimately the market will decide if these really are a leap forward... pun intended

Be interesting to know how many returns there have been ?

I am just speculating but given the small footprint of these I am thinking they use “smart metal” for vibration control or absorption/ conversion to heat

The fact that they need excellent contact with the components, suggests there needs to be good coupling to the component so that there is transfer of vibrational energy to the footer, where much of this is turned into heat

This may be why it takes a while to bed in, to obtain the good contact, and the warning about removing the paper surface and not putting on screws etc

Also this will allow greater equilibrium between the footer and the component, much like you need to leave a thermometer long enough in your mouth to get an accurate reading of temperature ... this is the Zeroth law of thermodynamics

Hi awsmone

You touch on several thought-provoking concepts and points that encapsulate the essence of numerous other posts. In no particular order:

Without trying to do any disservice to the complexity of Zeroth, it’s a law of thermal equivalence, usually between multiple thermodynamic systems. I would say that CS depends upon the opposite condition and cross border entropic transfer.

There was an earlier post that touched on humans preserving entropy and perhaps this is good place to circle back to that to better explain what I’m getting at with electromechanical thermodynamic systems.

You, me, everyone are irreversible biodynamic entropic systems. Irreversible systems will always find equilibrium, eventually. Entropy is the tendency for a system to descend into a state of disorder. For us, entropy accelerates. We can slow it down by following proper dietary regimens and exercise etc, but we can’t stop it. As we age, our vision begins to fail, our hair turns grey, our muscles atrophy, we lose our hearing, our joints begin to fail, disease begins to set in, and well, you get the picture. I don’t mean to sound morbid, but eventually so many systems fail that life can no longer be sustained. Interestingly, we are not at equilibrium at that point. Equilibrium, is reached when we turn to dust. This is always the way it ends; this is the 2nd law (SLT).

Luckily, our components are not irreversible systems. (kind of pisses you off considering the previous paragraph). I discussed this previously, so I won’t drag you through the garden here. I will agree that heat is a driver of entropy, so you’re partially right, but CS depends on maintaining differences, not similarities. You are also correct that intimate contact with the component is necessary.

On another topic, CS does not use “smart materials”. You are correct that its constituent materials are heavily invested in material science. But, they are not exotic in any way. It’s the sequence and dimension of the materials that get the ball rolling. You are also correct that FLT (1st law) occurs. But this, in my opinion, is not the primary driver of performance, as I stated previously in this thread. I’ll put it this way, there’s no way in hell I’m good enough to significantly lower transmissibility over a frequency range of 20k+ Hz in the distance of 13/16”. Ain’t happening. I know what I did, and that ain’t it.

You’re a pretty darn good speculator; intriguing points of view.

So far as I know, there haven’t been returns and I don’t anticipate any. But, you touch on the larger issue of the limitations of the product so, here’s what I know for sure:

CS requires a flat surface under your components. If you look at the photo, the silver “button” must be placed on a flat surface and the paper must be in direct contact with the bottom of the component. If your rack doesn’t allow you to do that or it cannot be modified in some way to afford this, then CS isn’t for you. If CS is for you, you can use 3 feet, but the 4th foot nets at least 30% better performance.

As a sidebar, I finalized the CS design with only 3 under my gear. My gear was sitting on scrap wood dragged out of the garage (maybe 1400 Janka, EM of around 4 Gpa) and I had no idea what would happen with the 4th foot added, or what would happen if CS was placed on CMS racks. These were not primary design concerns.

CS depends on the chassis of the component being “thermodynamically accessible”. This characterizes every component on the market, so far as I know. There could be 1 exception, but I haven’t been able to prove that to myself yet. There is 1 manufacturer that fabricates a proprietary foot for some but not all its components (I think). They go a step further by installing a “false bottom” on some of their components with a Teflon buffer between the inner and outer bottom plates. They also add a nylon post inside the component that connects the foot to the chassis and the top of the chassis to the bottom of the chassis. This construction in combination with Teflon and nylon could derail the benefits of CS; an unfortunate clash of new school and old school where no one wins. But still, TBD.

Thank you for your post!

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Hi awsmone

If CS is for you, you can use 3 feet, but the 4th foot nets at least 30% better performance.

Hi Joe - have you tried using more than 4 and does it yield an additional improvement? Or does the effect plateau out at 4?

Cheers, Joe

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am not sure that this method of direct comparison is possible because of the "settling in" time it takes once placed under the component. There was some mention that the top surface of the footer and bottom surface of the component need time to bond. Not having had the pleasure of meeting Steve, or he me, I'm not so sure that I or anyone would be welcome at his house for the seven or more days it takes to switch these devices in and out of a system. However, there were a couple of reports up thread that the improvement could be heard out of the box, immediately with the latest version.

A home trial seems to make more sense. One can listen to his system without the devices, insert them under one or more components, witness/endure the settling period, and then listen critically for a day or two. Then remove them and listen to the prior footers for an evening. I guess the improvement should be pretty obvious, but that would still take at least a week or so. Then, add a few of days for 3-day shipping and the two weeks is just enough. I agree that 30 days would be better, especially to schedule friends' to visit for additional comments. But with all of this demand for the product, a two week turnaround makes sense to get them out the door to the next potential customer. Interestingly, non have been returned so far, so the whole trial period may be a moot issue anyway.

I am hoping that one of my Boston area audio buddies orders a set to evaluate. Hint, hint.

Hi Peter,
My rule of thumb is that "an upgrade" should make an immediate positive impact upon switching stuff out. All the settling in and breaking in should be icing on the cake. Obviously, people's choices vary here. But I am not spending a penny if I don't sense a "better" right away.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Hi Joe - have you tried using more than 4 and does it yield an additional improvement? Or does the effect plateau out at 4?

Cheers, Joe

Hi Mountain Joe,

The supposition of your 2nd question with respect to outcome is thought provoking. Truthfully, I have not tried using more than 4. Based on the improvement from 3 to 4, I would have to surmise that the answer is no. I guess the way I think about it is, "necessity"; If a manufacturer uses more than 4 feet it might be necessary for the internal support of the component, but otherwise I don't think it would be necessary.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Can't speak to the feet, but your name is awfully close to a well known west coast hifi shop. Hope that doesn't create issues.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Hi Mountain Joe,

The supposition of your 2nd question with respect to outcome is thought provoking. Truthfully, I have not tried using more than 4. Based on the improvement from 3 to 4, I would have to surmise that the answer is no. I guess the way I think about it is, "necessity"; If a manufacturer uses more than 4 feet it might be necessary for the internal support of the component, but otherwise I don't think it would be necessary.

Hi Joe - I’m just speculating given you noted a 30% improvement going from 3 to 4 feet - which is a 33% increase in # of feet. This would suggest a linear, additive improvement so extrapolating from that (albeit based on only one data point), going from 4 to 5 feet could yield a 25% improvement and another 20% going from 5 to 6 - and so on.

I can’t say I understand how these things operate but if you are dealing with a mechanism that is sinking energy, a log-linear (non-coherent) additive relationship would be typical.

This is of course a gross simplification based on a single data point but it might be interesting to see what happens;-)

Cheers, Joe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing