MSB Select II arrival

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I am going to be comparing it with my REF10 PRE and see if Vince's claim is correct that "it is better with it's own pre stage". I hope it is as I would love to pay for some of the absurd cost with the sale of my Ref10 and Nordost cable. (...)

I had hope on the direct mode using the DCS Vivaldi - several people also told me that the preamplifier section was something special. Technically it is perfect, even digital attenuation can be minimal. It sounds really good in direct mode - but when I insert the ARC REF40 between it and the REF150SE it becomes better - it seems me that it has more real dynamics and a more natural sound, with more space from the original place. In this moment, I feel that the REF40 is more firm in my system than the REF150SE ...

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
thanks Jazzhead, Steve, Alex and Ked.

I'm pretty excited to get it in my system.

it sounds 'killer', and wish it was a 'killer price', it would not have used up so many 'wife points' and depleted my piggy bank so profoundly.:cool:

maybe you have the MSB Select II confused with the MSB Analog Dac? or maybe you used 'killer' literally (normally a 'killer' price would be an exceptional value)....as in 'it kills something'.
I mean literally a KILLER price! LoL.
Maybe, I should have said killer Dac for a killing price?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I am getting black as well with the "gold accents" the latter held up my production.

I am going to be comparing it with my REF10 PRE and see if Vince's claim is correct that "it is better with it's own pre stage". I hope it is as I would love to pay for some of the absurd cost with the sale of my Ref10 and Nordost cable.

I am currently at the MSB V variant which I love. Really looking forward to it. I have all Valhalla V2 cables with AR GS 150 amp into my Nola Concert Grand Golds. I am also starting with the Quad USB MQA input and when the new renderer is released will try that.

I also got 1 power supply and the Femto 33. My V is the Femto 77.

Unfortunately I get it on Thursday and am off to my Montana home on Monday so won't get much chance of listening for another week.
Pri, it will put the Hugo to bed once and for all. LoL

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I had hope on the direct mode using the DCS Vivaldi - several people also told me that the preamplifier section was something special. Technically it is perfect, even digital attenuation can be minimal. It sounds really good in direct mode - but when I insert the ARC REF40 between it and the REF150SE it becomes better - it seems me that it has more real dynamics and a more natural sound, with more space from the original place. In this moment, I feel that the REF40 is more firm than the REF150SE ...

That is why I didn't sell the Ref10 based on Vince's claim until I get to compare. I have heard this claim before and like you found, I remain skeptical until I hear it for myself.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The Select II is the best dac I have heard. Very nice!!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I mean literally a KILLER price! LoL.
Maybe, I should have said killer Dac for a killing price?

Well I've spent tons of money on audio, cars, homes, cars, booze lots of stuff in my younger days I rather not admit to online more recently replaced with fine distilled liquids AND the rest, I just squandered!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I feel that I owe it to WBF to make sure everything arrives safely and is properly installed. Difficult work, but that's the kind of audiophile I am :rolleyes:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I feel that I owe it to WBF to make sure everything arrives safely and is properly installed. Difficult work, but that's the kind of audiophile I am :rolleyes:

I knew I could count on you for the dirty work.:rolleyes: thanks Jazzdoc. let me know when it works for you to come over.

it arrives at work Friday and hopefully the SGM team will have the proper drivers and adjustments installed remotely in the SGM by the time I get home so I can plug and play.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Wow, that is sleek and beautiful, congrats Mike! Any chance you will compare it to the Aqua? I'm curious as an Aqua owner how much better the MSB is, not that I can afford it... :)

I don't know the gap at this point.

the Aqua is very good. and I do plan on doing some direct comparisons as I'm especially interested in the Aqua + SGM + HQ Player compared to the MSB Select II + SGM without HQ Player. I've considered the Aqua + SGM right up there near the top units, maybe a step or step and a half below the top. we will see.

likely I won't have the Aqua long enough (i'll be selling it and the La Diva transport shortly) to compare it to the MSB with Ethernet renderer.....but I'd like to understand that equation also.

after the Aqua leaves I'm turning the page on digital comparisons (not that there will be none).....finally.......and just focusing on the music. having gear decisions be such a significant part of my thoughts has been a PITA. not that gear crushes and comparisons are not part of the enjoyment, I'd be lying if I said that, but I've been out of balance lately and not acquiring enough new music (not knowing how much I'd be spending). that needs to change.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike. That's quite the financial commitment to digital for an analog guy....;)

I've been exploring ways to avoid that financial commitment for a few years which has finally brought me to this point. until I have the MSB Select for a little time it's hard to evaluate the decision. the idea is that this product brings the analog goodness to digital without any of the normal compromises. my ears tell me it is the real deal. we will see.

and my work stresses (less energy to go to the trouble with analog) have caused me to listen to much more digital lately than before, and I'm enjoying it a lot. so it's a priority. and just from an end-game perspective, I wanted a final digital product. this one is as end-game as it gets.

my last 'longer-term' digital product I had for 9 years, until 2 years ago. that is what I intend for this to be too.

and I firmly believe that the MSB Select II matches the 'not tubes' 'not solid state' 'not digital' 'just music' 'balanced top to bottom' 'get out of the way of the music' gestalt of my system perfectly.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I've been exploring ways to avoid that financial commitment for a few years which has finally brought me to this point. until I have the MSB Select for a little time it's hard to evaluate the decision. the idea is that this product brings the analog goodness to digital without any of the normal compromises. my ears tell me it is the real deal. we will see.

and my work stresses (less energy to go to the trouble with analog) have caused me to listen to much more digital lately than before, and I'm enjoying it a lot. so it's a priority. and just from an end-game perspective, I wanted a final digital product. this one is as end-game as it gets.

my last 'longer-term' digital product I had for 9 years, until 2 years ago. that is what I intend for this to be too.

and I firmly believe that the MSB Select II matches the 'not tubes' 'not solid state' 'not digital' 'just music' 'balanced top to bottom' 'get out of the way of the music' gestalt of my system perfectly.

Sounds awesome Mike. Happy for you.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Well I've spent tons of money on audio, cars, homes, cars, booze lots of stuff in my younger days I rather not admit to online more recently replaced with fine distilled liquids AND the rest, I just squandered!

As long as you are happy Pri, all is good by me.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Congratulations Mike on your landmark purchase. I will say the MSB products are some of the most aesthetically pleasing pieces of equipment I have seen. I have hardly any first hand experience with the sonics but I am sure they are superb. Enjoy!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I don't know the gap at this point.

I'd be lying if I said that, but I've been out of balance lately and not acquiring enough new music (not knowing how much I'd be spending). that needs to change.
Ahem,

Ahhh Mike, you surely cant have listened to all the digital you ALREADY have. Dont fall from one trap into another. Spend the next 6 months exploring What you already have and get a Tidal subscription for any small missing elements here or there (apparently MQA masters are great on the Sel2).

My point is FOCUS on the huge collection before succumbing to more (and expensive) rabbit holes. Sermon over now. loL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing