Ron's Los Angeles Audio Show 2017 Report

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've just heard from a few manufacturers who aren't thrilled with the venue

as an aside I saw absolutely no problems with the venue and thought it was every bit as nice as the Irvine Hotel

I've taken a bunch of photos and saw most of the show today but will be back tomorrow to get back not the rooms I really enjoyed

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does anyone know why the LA audio society seems to be favoring this show over the other LA show?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
just went to check in at the show, I had paid for 3 days general admission 2 months ago.

no name badges unless you are press. you get a wrist band.

I've been to dozens of audio shows, and one big reason I go is to match names with people, and then interact. this approach eliminates, or at least greatly reduces the opportunity for that.

if I had known about this I would have stayed home.

+1000

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone know why the LA audio society seems to be favoring this show over the other LA show?

Yes. The Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society sponsors the LA Audio Show.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Yes. The Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society sponsors the LA Audio Show.

Thank you - yes, that's what I understand. But do they have the same relationship with the other show in LA in a couple of months? Seems like that is the "original" LA show and they may be turning their back on it. Hope that is a wrong impression...

Steve Williams

Thank you - yes, that's what I understand. But do they have the same relationship with the other show in LA in a couple of months? Seems like that is the "original" LA show and they may be turning their back on it. Hope that is a wrong impression...

The other show which used to be The Show in Newport is apparently still having one in Anaheim

https://10times.com/show-newport

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My personal observation yesterday was that attendance seemed down to me. Hopefully that will change this weekend

I know of at least 2 long-time exhibitors (Profundo Audio and Daedalus Audio) who are skipping both SoCal shows; I wouldn't be surprised if a number of potential attendees have made the same decision (I know I did). I think we are hoping that the shows will either merge again or one will shake out as the clear winner; time will tell.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Anyone recognize these two dudes in the back row?

Bonus for the guy in the middle of the front row.

:)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I know of at least 2 long-time exhibitors (Profundo Audio and Daedalus Audio) who are skipping both SoCal shows; I wouldn't be surprised if a number of potential attendees have made the same decision (I know I did). I think we are hoping that the shows will either merge again or one will shake out as the clear winner; time will tell.

110 rooms is plenty for a hifi show, Rob. You can't hit even that many in 3 days. You also didn't mention several exhibitors actually expanded such as VSA, Harman, Sony, etc. Sure, Odyssey wasn't there but the show was far from a dud. Yeah, some of the rooms sucked but people forget the awful, big auditorium/caverns at Irvine that were basically useless.

Also, having only 4 floors was brilliant as elevators weren't a problem at all. Most people I chatted with loved the new location. People were having dinner in Manhattan Beach, not in the burbs. It was fun, despite the smaller crowd.

Steve Williams

Totally agree with everything you say Keith if looking at it as a consumer. However as a vendor at the show these rooms don't come cheap. When I was there I had no problem other than in one room where I couldn't sit in the sweet spot. Great to have fun and eat in Manhattan Beach. What it suggests to me is that the high end industry is not doing that well here and/or the venue is not that good. I think the latter is also a factor. Most of the people I knew drove up from orange county a 60 mile drive which can take 2-3 hours each way and every day. In Newport it was also by the airport but accessible from all across the country and a shorter commute for all the people coming from OC. Everyone loved it there. I understand your point but if I were a vendor paying that money I would be concerned.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Totally agree with everything you say Keith if looking at it as a consumer. However as a vendor at the show these rooms don't come cheap. When I was there I had no problem other than in one room where I couldn't sit in the sweet spot. Great to have fun and eat in Manhattan Beach. What it suggests to me is that the high end industry is not doing that well here and/or the venue is not that good. I think the latter is also a factor. Most of the people I knew drove up from orange county a 60 mile drive which can take 2-3 hours each way and every day. In Newport it was also by the airport but accessible from all across the country and a shorter commute for all the people coming from OC. Everyone loved it there. I understand your point but if I were a vendor paying that money I would be concerned.

Yeah, I totally get its a drive for OC folks. You guys got to suffer for once :) LAX has more airline connections and a shuttle took you direct to hotel in 5 mins, so that seemed more convenient than Irvine. Maybe they should put it in Long Beach as the middle ground?

I remarked last year that attendance was clearly down in my show write-up and when they split the show this year it suffered again. I also think there is some show fatigue - this has happened at RMAF for several years now. Axpona is the "hot show" as its the newest - and btw, its recently been at O'Hare, not exactly a mecca of "fun" nor remotely close to downtown Chicago.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It'll be a dud in Anaheim with only 40 vendors

Most everyone I spoke to still preferred the OC venue. Don't forget about all those driving up from San Diego county taking more than 3 hours each way.

Sure, but remember half of LA is in the San Fernando/San Gabriel valleys - almost as far.

Anaheim sucks. I won't be attending.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've been to the venue in Anaheim. It doesn't suck. On the contrary, it's incredible, miles ahead of the grubby ol' Sheraton LAX. Neighborhood is much nicer as well, across from Disneyland.

Everything about the Anaheim show seems better, timing, location, actual rooms, organization, etc.

Steve Williams

I've been to the venue in Anaheim. It doesn't suck. On the contrary, it's incredible, miles ahead of the grubby ol' Sheraton LAX. Neighborhood is much nicer as well, across from Disneyland.

Everything about the Anaheim show seems better, timing, location, actual rooms, organization, etc.

I agree and maybe the Anaheim show producer will disappear and the LAOCAS can then take over Anaheim. I haven't talked to one person who stayed at the hotel who enjoyed the stay in LA

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You proved my point Keith. Attendance is down for the 2 reasons I suggested, one being the commute. Great for those who were there as you stated but the vendors are far from happy

No, I'm saying the San Fernando and San Gabriel valley audiophiles by and large didn't attend Irvine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing