Change in Temperature versus Sound Character | General Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Recently it has been hot here on the Island; 30° Celsius outside on my deck and around 25° C inside the mansion (I don't have AC).
My ears are still relatively decent, and I noticed a change in sound when listening to music for the last week.
The bass is slower muggier/boomier, and the highs suffer too with less presence, less distinction, and slower too. The mids seem to disappeared in the heat.
It is overall an unbalanced sound, an inferior music listening experience.
So because I am not a dreamer I decided to pursue this subject and started to do some research:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/effects-of-temperature-humidity-live-sound/
http://www.acousticsbydesign.com/acoustics-blog/weather-affects-noise-study.htm
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mas...mperature-humidity-room-acoustics-effect.html

It's only the beginning, because there are many other factors in line with physicality, chemistry, human interaction (hearing) from temperature changes when listening to music from our audio components and sound's travelling.

We have here @ WBF in the past discussed some aspects on this subject. I will try to locate the thread(s) where it was mentioned.

Anyway, this morning it crossed my mind and I thought of sharing plus learning from others who also are aware of this and with their knowledge and experience.
And we all know that enemy number one of musical instruments and audio components and mechanical loudspeakers is heat.
And the human ear is the first one to register this change for the worst.

I'm interested in what you think and have to say and in learning more.
Some of you have temperature controlled rooms with AC. ...With regulated power grid unaffected by electrical changes.
AC and fans are noise contaminators; do you notice a sound difference between having then On and Off?

The playing field is all yours now; I am reading and listening.
I'm also in search of good links, and of interested parties from audio experts and from acousticians/physicists, from members/reader's experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing