Bitcoin

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dreams do come through ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ss-twins-bitcoin-billionaires-mark-zuckerberg
___

"The Winklevoss twins, famously known for suing Mark Zuckerberg after claiming he stole their idea for Facebook, are now Bitcoin billionaires, according to a few reports. Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss won $65 million from the Facebook lawsuit, and invested $11 million of their payout into Bitcoin in 2013, amassing one of the largest portfolios of Bitcoin in the world — 1 percent of the entire currency’s dollar value equivalent, said the twins at the time. Their slice of the Bitcoin pie is now worth over $1 billion after Bitcoin surged past $10,000 last week to now trade at $11,100, according to CoinDesk. The cryptocurrency has surged over 10,000 percent since the Winklevoss’ investment, when one coin traded at around $120.

"If Bitcoin is a better gold or seen as a type of gold-like asset, then it could be in the trillions on a market cap." "We do feel those are very real possibilities." The twins have never sold a single Bitcoin; only a handful of Bitcoin wallets hold more than $1 billion worth of the cryptocurrency. One of those wallets belongs to the mysterious inventor, known only under the pseudonym of Satoshi Nakamoto."

___

North of the border news:

Marijuana stocks are yesterday’s news as Canada gripped by bitcoin fever
___

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/04/paypal-cofounder-max-levchin-on-bitcoin.html
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/259882-bitcoin-mining-now-uses-power-159-countries
___

° https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1939536.0

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Folsom, which publicly-traded blockchain-related companies do you think are legitimate and real and worth investing in?

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hello Folsom, which publicly-traded blockchain-related companies do you think are legitimate and real and worth investing in?

That is a fairly intense question. Firstly I don't want to be wrong and waste your money. So I certainly don't feel any claim to offering investment advice, but I will tell you about stuff I like and how some of it works.

I think Neo has some fairly strong potential. It's the type of thing that might get picked up by large corporate use. It's a separate entity all on its own, with an entirely separate blockchain than the rest. The language barrier might make it a bit difficult to look into.

Dash is also it's own chain. It's private so it has the benefit of you not being a target for your wallet. It's in many ways a more technically gifted chain that isn't subject to many problems that many chains, even Bitcoin, tend to have. Considering the price and such, it is hard to know if it'll ever be mainstream.

Non-chain, "token" types
: These are a bit more complicated. Once they go into full effect is when you find out what kind of value they really happen to have. For example Iconomi is the first truly well functioning ICO. The problem is that there buy-back system of their own tokens is pretty worthless. The projection is for it to take like 43 years to get the price back up to $4-5 at current buy backs. The price gets pumped sometimes, because people don't know the value has been neutered or whales are just messing around. The lesson learned was that it's probably best to get out of hodling on many ICO tokens before they officially become a full-fledged business. Because until that happens all the speculation can have big promises, but the reality might be something a bit different... It should nearly go without saying that anything could happen, but it is my general view that they are more risky once they launch as a functioning business - unless they have very clearly defined systems of appreciation. The issue with clearly defined systems of appreciation is they are usually banned in the US for violating some old stupid security law. Although sometimes you can't get in on the initial ICO sale, but can trade them...

Komodo is a privacy focused interactive system for, well, almost everything with cryptos. If you would have bought in shortly after the Sept. 5th "Labor Day Sale" you would have doubled your investment already. I don't know if it's going to go up much more, but people are into it. It is hard to say about availability in the US once it launches. Also when it launches it is hard to say whether it'll be another Iconomi or not. Still, it's a fantastic project that has the potential to get really big. The goals are somewhat lofty.

Stellar Lumens
is a banking system that has some serious potential. If it gains wide spread use it may appreciate in value a fair bit. It is meant to not go crazy however, so it's hard to know for sure. It has a built in 1% increase of Lumens per year. A small amount is burned when the network is used, and it'll throttle what looks like abusive use. In general however if it gains wide scale adoption it might go up to $1 or such.

In general ICO's are really about trading to make money. You find early positions, and buy dips. They'll pump and you can sell, or hodl if you're expecting it to pump several times in the future because the current value is almost nothing. It's a complicated game that takes time and dedication. If you want to get into that, well, say good bye to your wife, audio, traveling, etc, and make yourself a command center that includes a storage of easy to make food. The guys doing awesome with trading live and breath it...

You could consider buying into ICO launches. https://www.icoalert.com/ When you get your tokens you can hodl or release them onto whatever exchange they become available on. This may take some research to know which are good buys or not, but in general almost none of them fail to appreciate a good deal (even ones I think are crap). The good thing here is that you don't have to monitor to make $ nearly as much with trading. Generally just having the initial tokens is enough, whether you sell at a good time or bad time. What sucks is there are like a 1000 different ones when it use to be like 100 to look at. No easy task. Still, the rewards out weigh the work.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I added this link in one of my previous posts:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1939536.0

Of course there are other forums too. Simply put: There is no guarantee. Nobody can, only you can make that decision, and it depends on so many things.

Those two twin brothers, now billionaires from bitcoin; they sure make for pretty pictures in the news.
Good lock to them in catching up with Facebook, Amazon's top CEOs.
And hope they share their financial wealth where it is needed the most; against scam artists, fraudsters and hackers, corrupted leaders, children abusers, women exploitation, people dying from no water and no food, cancer research, etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Over $12,000 ... now: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/bitcoin-price-breaks-above-12000-for-new-all-time-high-record.html

https://grist.org/article/bitcoin-could-cost-us-our-clean-energy-future/

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Bitcoin fever made the CBS evening news last night (and is on the cover of Barron's).

They interviewed a 19-year old who invested $10k 5 years ago and consequently is now a "millionaire" - he checks Coinbase every 30 minutes (!!) for the Bitcoin price.

I'd be selling all my Bitcoin by year end if I owned it. Take your gains and move on. Crash city - folks will not be able to get out as there won't be bids.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
amazing fact

There is absolutely nothing about Bitcoin or others that I am even remotely interested in

I am with you Steve. Making a quick buck is always tempting but here there is nothing of substance, nothing.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I am with you Steve. Making a quick buck is always tempting but here there is nothing of substance, nothing.

Agreed. Humanity never ceases to amaze me. This thing is near the top of the list.....stunning, simply stunning.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bitcoin is now making roughly $1,000 per day. Yes it is insane, yes it consumes energy, from the brain too.

https://www.coindesk.com/12795-bitcoins-price-just-gained-1000-24-hours/

http://fortune.com/2017/12/06/bitcoin-scandanavian-banks/

Some financial/economic experts still don't get it or simply call it fraud or bubble.
Because it is unregulated, inconceivable from the reserve bank philosophy, from the wisdom of power, the freedom of money and the liberation of slavery.

The trick is to open the right door and enter.
Do you trust your Mom and Dad, do you feel secure inside your computer and cell phone?

:b

Just for the kick, Google 'Bitcoin'. Take your time, try to understand what the people who you trust the most are saying, and see if they are truly seeing reality. You won't be able to tell, only YOU can make that choice, nobody else. ...Electricity/energy, privacy, security. The power of tomorrow today.

On Twitter where the trolls like to hang out, they are getting bored to put their foot info their mouth. No wonder why, bitcoin is the real star.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

we all know why this currency was developed. Plain and simple...to hide shady or crooked money.

To watch 20% gains or losses daily is not my idea of fun but rather a dizzying ride. Not my cup of tea

I agree with Keith

Last guy out is held holding an empty bag that might be worth something and no bids

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, drug lords, money laundering, crooked politicians, corrupted banks, bad bad deals from the baddest and richest people all over the world, etc.; bitcoin was also invented for them...financial institutions, insurance companies, car manufacturers, hackers, professional extortionists, pharmaceutical companies, stock markets, mutual fund companies, bonds, banks, junk, ...

And it just keeps rising and rising with the smiles of billions $
If it gets down, if it gets a correction, if they say in the news that people musk be selling, bla-bla-bla, then the naysayers, the opposers, the against, the condemnors, ...they feel good, real good that they were right. Only to see a day or three later that bitcoin hit another new high. It's being going on like this for a good while, and in that while many big financial companies are now investing in bitcoin. The more it goes the less institutions are complaining by staying neutral behind opposing.

Bitcoin is no diamond, pearl or gold, it's technological advancement in the secured/unsecured computerised world. It's a day-to-day energy mining exploration/exploitation of writing security codes as solid as an impenetrable cement wall...through, below, above, sideways.

When was last time I walked into a bank?
I predict the extinction of banks in the next twenty-nine years.

Steve Williams

Yes, drug lords, money laundering, crooked politicians, corrupted banks, bad bad deals from the baddest and richest people all over the world, etc.; bitcoin was also invented for them...financial institutions, insurance companies, car manufacturers, hackers, professional extortionists, pharmaceutical companies, stock markets, mutual fund companies, bonds, banks, junk, ...

And it just keeps rising and rising with the smiles of billions $
If it gets down, if it gets a correction, if they say in the news that people musk be selling, bla-bla-bla, then the naysayers, the opposers, the against, the condemnors, ...they feel good, real good that they were right. Only to see a day or three later that bitcoin hit another new high. It's being going on like this for a good while, and in that while many big financial companies are now investing in bitcoin. The more it goes the less institutions are complaining by staying neutral behind opposing.

Bitcoin is no diamond, pearl or gold, it's technological advancement in the secured/unsecured computerised world. It's a day-to-day energy mining exploration/exploitation of writing security codes as solid as an impenetrable cement wall...through, below, above, sideways.

When was last time I walked into a bank?
I predict the extinction of banks in the next twenty-nine years.

Bob

You're delusional if you think this is the way of the future. Did you read the link ack posted?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob

You're delusional if you think this is the way of the future. Did you read the link ack posted?

Post #171, second link ... http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23212-Bitcoin&p=484092&viewfull=1#post484092

I posted yesterday. I checked ack's link and it is saying the same.
Bitcoin is consuming a lot of electricity, I knew that for quite a while, and solar panels are going to open new bitcoin mines. Same with wind turbines. ...And under ocean wave/tide activated turbine generators.
Bitcoin is pushing the pursuit for clean energy.

Delusional I am not, poor I might [Strike]bitcoins[/strike] become.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing