Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which transport for my Nagra HD DAC

Which transport for my Nagra HD DAC

I have a combo MSB Platinum CD IV+DAC IV+Power base. Exellent sound with my Vitus pre and Datzeel 108 amp to my Focal Grande Utopia Em.
    I recently bought a used Nagra HD DAC with VPS pwer supply (no batteries). I play the MSB transport to the Nagra and it is a very good SQ improvment over the MSB DAC. Everything is a bit better. To my surprise even Spotify Premium now sound fantastic.
    The MSB transport is very good but i have a feeling that there is better options. Need input from Nagra HD owners. Would a used CEC TLO3 or used Metronome Kallista make a big improvment (both about 14000USD used)? Other suggestions?
    Nagra own transport is now not on their homesite any more and it is about 12 yeras old. I dont know if Nagra will have an new transport?
    Any CDP that have very good transport (for exampel used Vitus CD025mk2 at 12000usd)?

Hi Ulf, I have heard great things about the Nagra dac from Ed (Eurodriver) and would suggest the Nagra CDT would be a sensible match. There is a used one listed on ebay.co.uk right now for 6k.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Not sure if this will be of interest, but Roy Gregory has posted some very positive comments on The Audio Beat on Stenhiem speakers and the system used Nagra HD DAC and CDT transport.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Some time ago I owned a Nagra CDP - an used bargain I could not resist. I enjoyed it a lot as a CD player. However when compared with other CD transports such as the ARC REF8 and the Metronome Calypso ( both used the same Philps Pro mechanism) or a CEC TL1X , I found it lacking life and fine detail. DAC's were mainly the Metronome C2A and an old Sonic Frontier CD2.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Magico Mini II's while waiting for the XLF successor, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Ulf,

We would be happy to arrange a demo of the Sound Galleries Music server converting all formats to DSD 128 for the Nagra HD to perform its musical D>A.

Does your unit have the optional balanced output transformers ? With these transformers, the HD really sings

Best

Ed
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

Read that your sound galleries server is something special and would Love to hear it. The only concern would be the high
    Price.
    I dont have the output transformer. Reading the net i got mixed answers how good this tweak is.
    I once have both Nagra cdp and gryphon Mikado signature cdp in My system. As a cdp Nagra was best and the best one box cdp i have ever listened to. When I inserted a Berkeley dac (not ref) in my system Gryphon cdp was better as transport then the Nagra
    cdp. I don't know if the transport in Nagra cdp is the same as in the Nagra cdt

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ulf View Post
    Read that your sound galleries server is something special and would Love to hear it. The only concern would be the high
    Price.
    I dont have the output transformer. Reading the net i got mixed answers how good this tweak is.
    I once have both Nagra cdp and gryphon Mikado signature cdp in My system. As a cdp Nagra was best and the best one box cdp i have ever listened to. When I inserted a Berkeley dac (not ref) in my system Gryphon cdp was better as transport then the Nagra
    cdp. I don't know if the transport in Nagra cdp is the same as in the Nagra cdt
    We have a SGM owner in Holland who upgraded his Nagra HD with the output transformers and was very pleased with the sound quality improvement. This same owner has been bowled over with the SQ uplift that came with HQ Player 3.16 and the latest operating environment of the SGM.

PM'ing you with some more details
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

I finally settled for the C.E.C. TLO 3.0 belt drive transport.
    It makes fantastic sound with my Nagra HD dac. My old collection of CDs sound better then ever.
    I have put my computer music on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by ulf View Post
    I finally settled for the C.E.C. TLO 3.0 belt drive transport.
    It makes fantastic sound with my Nagra HD dac. My old collection of CDs sound better then ever.
    I have put my computer music on hold.
    Congratulations. Are you finding better sound spinning redbook cd's vs downloads ? If so...I am too...I've tried all sorts of computer configs...I can get better resolution, but not really better musicality...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    J, I find that fascinating, and yr Vivaldi stack is right up there
    Typing in as I listen to a COMPACT DISC of Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's and finding I'm fully involved

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast