"High End" Speakers you have owned

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Roksan Ojans 3X/3S
Pro Ac Futures 2
Zu Audio Definitions 2
Zu Audio Definitions 4
These 4s modded w Duelund caps upgrades to high- and low-pass filters, and Lundahl transformer/Hypex sub-amps retrofits

(Considering Zu Audio Experiences flagships if they ever appear, or poss Sadurni Acoustics Miracollis or Staccatos horns)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
BTW, we are working on getting the new Vivid G1 Spirit. Happy times!

The G3 sounded fabulous in the sound room at work but the timbre and resonance and midrange on those Soundkaos Wave 40 speakers was as lush and beautiful as anything I have ever heard. Did I recall correctly about the Ayon tube amps

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Only? There are people here who went through 18 or 20 speakers! (...)

18 or 20? Perhaps is the last ten years ... :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wilson WITT ( overblown bass, never got it to work in my 25x30ft room)

Easily the worst speaker I have ever heard,and by a wide margin

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Easily the worst speaker I have ever heard,and by a wide margin

Curious. It got excellent reviews from well known experienced people such as Martin Colloms and John Atkinson. I listened to them playing great several times at a time I owned the Wilson Watt/Puppy V. As they say, in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As they say, in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison!

Or, apart from personal taste, it all depends on system/room context.

Which of course doesn't mean that any component is of such quality as to do justice to the music.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Curious. It got excellent reviews from well known experienced people such as Martin Colloms and John Atkinson. I listened to them playing great several times at a time I owned the Wilson Watt/Puppy V. As they say, in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison!

Don't care what the reviewers say. If I had to pick one word to describe it, it would be the one that starts with j. I not only walked out of that demo, I subsequently told the dealer that he must be deaf.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
In the approximate order since college, with their one word association descriptor:
JBL 4341 (rockin')
Klipsch Heresy (slammin')
B&W 802 with Northcreek crossovers (transparent)
Dunlavy SC IV (coffins)
Genesis 350 SE (liquid)
Krell LAT-1 (mechanical)
Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Towers (lush)
Selah Audio Accuton line arrays with modded DEQX crossovers (precise)
Salk Soundscape 12s (dimensional)
Pro Audio Technology SCR 2115sm (powerful)

Subs have been Krell, Seaton, SVS (tubes, ported box and sealed box), Velodyne, and Pro Audio Technology

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I didn't realize until now how many of you have had or heard the Tyler's before. Interesting.

Tom

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The G3 sounded fabulous in the sound room at work but the timbre and resonance and midrange on those Soundkaos Wave 40 speakers was as lush and beautiful as anything I have ever heard. Did I recall correctly about the Ayon tube amps

Yes, Ayon Crossfire amp. One single-ended tube per channel at 30 watts per. But honesty the speakers sound equally great with the big Constellation SS amp.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Admittedly, me as well Caelin. I would have to say that from my memory, that one had to be the absolute worst. Great for party and boom but that's about it. Back in the day, it did fit the bill though.

*clears throat* Ehem, not that I ever partied though.... *rolls eyes with devilish smile*

Tom

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey..I get to compare the G1's vs spirits for a month before deciding to take them .. I have already put the g1s on castors.
My plan is to wheel one set away and the other into the same position..same amp etc
im expecting a little more sparkle and midrange presence and much better bass...

Rodney, I really envy you! Not only will you have two of the best speakers around, but you can AB them for a month, wow! I think your expectations for the new Spirit will be borne out, but I suspect the older model won't be too embarrassed. Not sure about much more bass, the older model certainly never lacked in that department, at least on the few occasions I heard it. Keep us informed.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
I join the conversation at a momenty when I'm musing about changing.

I only had two hi-end speakers :
Klipschorns from 2003 to 2013
Voxativ Ampeggio, that I own since 2014
The latter is more refined and truer to the original instruments (in my ears)

Attachments

• Voxativ_0742.jpg
    Voxativ_0742.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 7

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I certainly haven't owned as many high end speakers as the OP, but here is my list -

- Infinity Reference 3
- Infinity Reference 60
- Infinity Renaissance 90
- Marten Coltrane Alto
- Evolution Acoustics MMMicro One
- Magico S5 Mk1
- Magico S5 Mk2

I kept my Reference 60’s for 18 years, during which time the core components of my system (speakers, integrated amp, cdp & rack) remained unchanged. That allowed me to just focus on the music & buy cd’s. I wish I could have afforded the Ren 90’s (including the requisite amplification to drive them) back in 1991. The R90’s killed my Reference 60’s! Yet the Ref 60’s were still very enjoyable speakers and brought me a lot of joy. The S5 Mk2’s + SPods are the first speakers I feel like I could keep for 15 + years since I sold my Ref 60's.

Last edited:

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Looking at the lists so far my own audio promiscuity suddenly doesn’t seem so bad anymore. So let’s see...

Arcus TM68
Écouton LQL 150
Dynaudio Special One
Outsider Jota
Quad ESL 63
Linn Kan
Audioplan Kontrapunkt III
Audioplan Kontrapunkt IV + REL Stadium sub
Geithain RL 904
Geithain RL 933K
Geithain RL 901K

On average the speaker size did reflect the available listening room size, so go figure... The question remains which of these would qualify as „high end“.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Kef R 105/3
R 107/2 still playing ht
VA beethoven almost hifi
Revel F52
Salon
Salon 2
?????????????
I've listed the Salon 2 as the struggles with proper placement in my room has the experts telling me I need 2 or ideally 2 subs per speaker to cancel the room null! I didn't dip into my retirement for full range speakers, speakers with a rep for excellent bass, just to fill my room with subwoofers. They're going and if I really need subs then some quality stand mounts will replace them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing