Thread: Phono cable thread

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

Phono cable thread

Since we have a signal cable thread, a power cable thread, and even an USB cable thread running simultaneously, I thought phono cables were feeling left out.

Can you please note down your experiences where you found that certain cables work with certain cartridges etc and some don't.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Blog Entries
    Myles' audionirvana also has a thread on the topic
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Most of my arms have captive cables except my Grahams. On the Grahams I've had Au24e with XLR, IC-70s, IC-90s and currently use Odin on the Elite the generation of which had Odin inside, an attempt to simulate a captive cable. Come to think of it The IC-70s were inside my B44 1 and 2 and the IC-90 I believe in the Supremes. I felt I got more information out of my 1s and 2s from the 90s over the 70s. Never did the comparison on Odins on the older Grahams as the carts were moved over to the new Elite wands. My incoming arm is captive also, an SAT. I've had no problems with my captive arms, I suppose the designers had done all the heavy lifting and did so well.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Most of my arms have captive cables except my Grahams. On the Grahams I've had Au24e with XLR, IC-70s, IC-90s and currently use Odin on the Elite the generation of which had Odin inside, an attempt to simulate a captive cable. Come to think of it The IC-70s were inside my B44 1 and 2 and the IC-90 I believe in the Supremes. I felt I got more information out of my 1s and 2s from the 90s over the 70s. Never did the comparison on Odins on the older Grahams as the carts were moved over to the new Elite wands. My incoming arm is captive also, an SAT. I've had no problems with my captive arms, I suppose the designers had done all the heavy lifting and did so well.
    Is this not a cartridge match - bright, dark, etc

This is contrary to most but... many times I've preferred unshielded cables. Ya there was some hum when nothing was playing, I didn't like that. However now I'm using captive cords that seem to be fine. They may not be as good but I don't have an easy choice otherwise (installing RCA jacks etc).

That may not be the help you were looking for... I've heard Furutech has one that's really nice and priced rather modestly.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Is this not a cartridge match - bright, dark, etc
    It could very well be Ked but its hard to isolate especially since the general character of the carts remain pretty much the same. With the external phono cables the change with my MC carts has more to do with noise and grain. When dealing with very low level signals SNR appears to matter a lot more than line level. I suppose if I used a lot of MM carts then the pF selector would be used a lot more. As it stands with the JPA-66 phono pre where tonality is flexible via gain, load and eq the noise/interference/artifact characteristics is what stands out most.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

I was having some problems with hum on phono. I have a captive cable from the kuzma arm to the step up transformer, the cable from the sut to the phono stage was producing hum, an audience 24se Lo z, phono specific cable, single core with shield.

Inserting a twin core, solid silver Vdh shielded cable cured the hum, however it was not as transparent as the Audience.

I then tried the new Audience 24sx, this not only cured the hum it also sounded better.

Needless to say cables come in many configurations and don't necessarily work in all situations.

ELP phono out => Pro-Ject RCACC Phono cable => Pass Labs Aleph Ono loading at 47kohms/100pf
    No grounding cable sounded best.

Alternatively

ELP Line Out => Straightwire Crescendo => Pass Labs XP20
    Main System: Sources EMM Labs TSDX / DAC2X v2. Amplifiers Sony TA-E1, TA-N1.
    Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo and Serenade interconnects, Straightwire Serenade double run speaker cables.
    2nd System: Sources ELP Laser Turntable, Pass Labs Aleph Ono Amplifiers Pass Labs XP20, X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Pro-Ject RCA CC Phono cable, Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, Straightwire Crescendo double run speaker cables.