My Oscar Predictions For 2017

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow!

Warren Beatty I think was given the previous card, the one for Best Actress, Emma Stone in 'La La Land'. That's what I believe happened.
So it was a card error, not Warren's fault. But how did he end up with the wrong card; who gave it to him?

Bonus: Casey Affleck

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Steve, you were correct with most of your picks so kudos to you.

However, you threatened to shoot both Mel Gibson and Warren Beatty in this thread. I don't think you really meant it. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Warren Beatty I think was given the previous card, the one for Best Actress, Emma Stone in 'La La Land'. That's what I believe happened.
So it was a card error, not Warren's fault. But how did he end up with the wrong card; who gave it to him?

Steve Harvey? LOL

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Wow!

Oh wow. That's so unfortunate. You can clearly see Beatty equivocating. He's not sure what he's reading...

Reports are saying Leo and Beatty had a hug backstage, and put down their envelopes. Beatty then picked up Leo's envelope which contained Emma Stone's name. Bummer.

Congrats to Moonlight. Never quite felt comfortable with La La Land taking Best Picture, though very glad for Chazelle for taking Best Director (and youngest ever). Very pleased for Kenneth Lonergan, who I thoroughly believed deserved Best Original Screenplay.

And despite the fact the Oscar's will never tell me anything about whether a movie is great, and especially, whether or not it's important, losing an award in the aisles is so much more preferable to losing one on stage. At least La La Land had the grace to deal with it in a really impressive manner, and has lots of other things to celebrate tonight.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Read on ? http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ed-backstage-at-the-1488175955-htmlstory.html

And check that video ? there are two red envelopes onstage:

Brief they screwed up with their cards, as explained in that link above. It wasn't Warren's fault; he was given the wrong card.
Talk about a major screw up.

Anyway, everyone's going to party now and drink champagne. They'll all get drunk, have a tight night sleep, some, and tomorrow will be a brand new day, with many hangovers, and some weird news to go with it. ...Just life as usual.

But here's what I retained from all of it: Yes, 'La La Land' a Hollywood musical won six Oscars, out of an incredible 14 nominations, tight for the most nominations in Hollywood's Oscar history. And 'Moonlight' won three, including the major prize...Best Picture.

I think white people aren't working hard enough, or they aren't recognized by the Academy. The big winners are the ones who really stood up, the very best, and in sports and in jazz music they are also the best; basketball, football, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. ... actors and actresses like Mahershala Ali ('Moonlight'), Viola Davis ('Fences', along Denzel Washington), Best Picture ? 'Moonlight' with the entire cast and crew, Best Adapted Screenplay ? 'Moonlight', Best Foreign Language Film winner ? 'The Salesman' ('Le Client' - Iran), Best Documentary winner ? 'OJ: Made in America', Best Documentary Short winner ? 'The White Helmets'.

2017 is 'Moonlight' year @ the Oscars, and 'La La Land'. ...Which is nice because Hollywood is well represented by diversification, equality, opportunity for all, and freedom without barriers, without frontiers, without walls between our world's countries, the human race, here and abroad. Even Jackie Chan was honored.

Compared this to last year and do you see a new trend/direction here? ...In this new climate.

I'd say it's very good, and it's about time the world gets its act together and appreciate all people of the same blood.
Everybody love movies; China love 3D movies, Japanese love 8K movies, Canadians love 'Arrival', Americans love 'Moonlight', 'La la Land', and 'Hacksaw Ridge', Indians love 'Lion', French love 'Elle', Germans love 'Toni Erdmann', ... all movies from all over the world unite us all, just like music.

The power of films, the power of music, the power of 'Arrival' ... the universal language across space, Mexicans have great film directors and actors, Italians are among the best, films from everywhere...France, New Zealand, Ireland, Iceland, Canada, Brazil, America, Japan, China, ...

The Holy Academy Land recognize the universal power of films. Rolling Stones magazine; all the musicians, singers, actresses, actors, all that artistic jazz.
Talents abound; Italian car designers, Dubai skyscrapers, audio designers, culinary chefs, and the food is aplenty except for the ones who died of starvation.
Being an actor is being aware first. Of everything around...of the real climate, of the extreme divisions between the rich and the poor.

Some live in North America, in La La Land, this is the American continent...from south to north. There are five of us, five continents on this/our planet.
The Oscars is Hollyworld. ...Disneyland, Woodland, La La La, ...

It was a good show, with a 'drama' ending...due to a simple card's mix-up. There were few emotional moments.
I really enjoyed the tour bus people, ending up @ the ceremony, inside the building. That was fun, right on!. :b ...My favorite part.
_____

P.S. Jack, who is Steve Harvey?

Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Read on ? http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ed-backstage-at-the-1488175955-htmlstory.html

And check that video ? there are two red envelopes onstage:

Brief they screwed up with their cards, as explained in that link above. It wasn't Warren's fault; he was given the wrong card.
Talk about a major screw up.

(...)

P.S. Jack, who is Steve Harvey?

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 08.52.35.png

Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner for the 2015 Miss Universe. In that case, he had the right envelope, but read the wrong name.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
(...) Viola Davis ('Fences', along Denzel Washington), (...)

Still think her best ever performance is in John Patrick Shanley's Doubt. She was nominated alongside Amy Adams for Best Supporting Actress, but had only one a bit scenes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Still think her best ever performance is in John Patrick Shanley's Doubt. She was nominated alongside Amy Adams for Best Supporting Actress, but had only one a bit scenes.

Amy Adams was fantastic in that movie

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I need to watch The Salesman since I loved that director's Separation, and About Elly

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I have this one on Blu-ray. Very powerful movie.
______

This morning I read about last night's mix-up. It is quite amazing what a simple red envelope can create.
I saw that as an invaluable life's lesson. You can easily make the rapprochement with many other life's aspects of the human nature and mistakes made.
We are very quick, some of us, to make a judgement. It reminds me of the people living in the world today. ...The millions of children starving to death and innocent victims spending all their life in jail or as outcasts of our societies who put them there in the first place. ...Equality and justice are an hypocritical facade we created for ourselves, and that we let spread like an incurable disease.

I like films, I like music, ...they are reflections. Last night @ the Oscars was also a reflection. The bus tour people was the best of the best moment, to me.
And the last Award for Best Picture was a very unfortunate cataclysm, a simple human error, and also a very big eye-opener on all of us. And on Hollywood too.

Overall it was one of the best Oscar shows ever. From my own viewing experience of over my years of watching them.
There was a lot to digest in human emotions and reactions from that last scene on stage with all the people standing there, and moving and hugging and talking.
Plus from the entire audience in that building, and of course from the millions and millions of people watching all over the world in their own screens.

It's a huge "revelator".
And to me, not just about the entire film's industry in Hollywood; the recognition from the Academy of the best of the best in each category, from everyone in the film business, but also about real life of day-to-day, and all the people inside of it.

Films can be very powerful; they can propel people to stardom status, denounce the injustices committed in the world and their perpetrators, open our eyes to the truths.
I like real based true stories. This year there were few of them, solid ones, and there were others showing a vision that is powerful but that we don't like to talk about.
Films can restore a balance, and it is recognized by more and more people each and every year. For one good film there could be a thousand mediocre films, to extremely very bad ones.

'Moonlight' I think was the surprise many didn't expect. It was 'La La Land' which was the big favorite/highly anticipated film to win Best Picture.

The messages in films are gaining more and more importance; point in fact, just look also @ last year. And that's a very good thing, that's what truly impacts us all @ the end, leaving a deep engraved mark in our hearts. Films are about us; be it based on true stories or entertaining/diverting space movies with angels and demons. ...Mickey Mouse, Charlie Chaplin and Batman.

I think.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Yes, that "small" red envelope given to Warren Beatty by mistake cannot be repaired, unfortunately. C'est la vie.
It was rude I found how the real winner card was taken from Warren Beatty's hands. This was an emotional deception from the producer of 'La La Land'.
I did not find it a gracious gesture; it wasn't Warren's fault. The emotion took over, and the clarity of the mind and understanding was lost @ sea.

Also, the host of the Oscars wasn't the most understandable @ the beginning with Mr. Beatty.
When you look @ Warren Beatty during all that time, and the people around him, you can feel what he feels.
And Warren was quickly and wrongfully judged. I found it sad; but that's real life human nature.

I learned more from this years's Oscars than any previous year. It emphasized more what's going on behind all the facades.

And, the speech by viola Davis:

Acting is not the only profession in this world that celebrates life. There are millions of professions that all deserve the utmost respect. I don't need to enumerate them.
But it's ok, we understand human emotions, and from artists. Doctors, farmers, astronauts, soldiers, cooks, ...are all high caliber professions that celebrate life, give life and save lives. ______ These men and women from all around the world are "artists" too.
______

? Extra: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...cars-mixup-best-picture-actress-a7601196.html
______

I did not see 'Moonlight' yet, and neither 'La La Land'. Was 'Moonlight' truly the best picture, and why?
Emma Stone seems to think so, from that video interview above link. I'll get the Blu eventually, soon.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Remember that Beatty didn't do it he turned to Faye when in doubt and she announced it. Still I wonder if they were wearing contacts

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wow!

Bonus: Casey Affleck

I would think that one would simply be able to read the card, realize it was the wrong one, remember that Emma Stone just won for Best Actress a few minutes earlier, and then announce that he was given the wrong card and wait until the correct one was handed to him. Not that difficult, unless you are Warren Beaty, apparently. Yes, it was some guy's fault for handing him the wrong card, but most people could have easily adjusted, asked for the correct card before making the wrong public announcement, and all would have been fine. It was pretty funny to watch the rerun though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing