Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello CKKeung,

There is no dealer for Aqua here in Bangkok. I had my friend import the Formula from Italy for me. The Aqua isnt so expensive so I took the risk. Luckily, it turned out to sound very good to me..haha. To be frank, I found the steel case of the Formula to be a bit thin and bonky, so I stop at the Dac. I think if they carve the case from a block of aluminum and prep for beauty contest, they can put another $15,000 on the price tag. I use JMF DP5 digital aes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The AE crowd are going crazy over the JMF 3.7, and bated breath over the soon to be released Wadax Atlantis transport
Is it too late in the day for a proper comeback on Old School disc spinning
Where's that VHS double bill of Wall Street and Basic Instinct?

The Wadax transport is a server. Not a CDP

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You should know, Tango, you use it

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
In terms of OS, Windows (used by SGM) is very "tweakable", but it's still a closed source OS. Linux can offer further customization. As a matter of fact we at NextHardware are testing a particular, essential version that is actually tailor made to your hardware and software like HQP you run on it - nothing more, nothing less! In terms of DAC support, Linux is getting much better, perhaps not as much as Windows, but it's supporting native DSD more and more.

Hi Bibo01,

Yes Linux is improving. We are keeping tabs on the progress, should we ever arrive at a point where it surpasses our version of the Windows OS in performance and usability rest assured we will upgrade all the SGM's in the field. I feel the need to stress that our version of Windows may look similar but is far from standard "under the hood". Knowing your track record from CA I'm sure you are aware that you can only do so much to tweak Windows once installed as it "protects" large portions of the OS from removal/disabling. All the aftermarket tweaking scripts and program's are limited by those bounds. We hence took a different approach and modified the Windows installation media to only install what we want to run on the system, tailored specifically to the SGM platform in both hardware and software. More akin to the Apple OS then Windows itself :rolleyes:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The AE crowd are going crazy over the JMF 3.7, and bated breath over the soon to be released Wadax Atlantis transport
Is it too late in the day for a proper comeback on Old School disc spinning
Where's that VHS double bill of Wall Street and Basic Instinct?

Hi Marc,

No worries, there's still a place for those good old disc spinners. Leaving aside the Streaming vs CD transport debate, fact is a lot of today's D/A converters have better performing SPDIF interfaces then USB. Especially the first generation XMOS receiver has quite horrific jitter specs and is still widely used. Even in the Aqua Formula I'm afraid, although I've been told they are working on implementing the new XMOS. Then we have the Amanero which is not the greatest in stock form either. Looking at Lampizator for example, pre "Superclock" it's SPDIF input was definately not the worst input you could use. Having personally had a Golden Gate upgraded with superclocks I urge everyone using its USB input to get this update. Ofcourse there are plenty of dac's with very good USB implementations, the T+A Dac 8 DSD for example sports a very well implemented Amanero, I strongly doubt you will find a disc spinner who will beat a good streamer connected to that specific dac. In a different price range the Nagra HD has a very good USB implementation aswell. Coincidentally both these dacs perform at their best being fed with a DSD stream.

I am not trying to put any dac's in a bad daylight here, most of these are performing very well despite their USB receiver limitations. However the good old cd spinners do have an advantage here.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have a JMF 3.7 transport playing with the Formula dac+ Linebacker XE . Before this I had Berkeley (version I), Audionet and Soulution top dac playing from Aurender N10 in my system. I would like to say that JMF+Formula+Linebacker XE is better in many aspects and at least equal in the rest. I have never listened toSGMS, but I have heard quite a few top dac, stack or no stack, tube or no tube, with brandname server at my friends. I still cant draw a conclusion that server base digital playback sounds better than transport/ dac. They can sound better in some aspects yes but not without some aspects that my transport/dac/conditioner can also edge over.

What's the price of the JMF 3.7?

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Hello from Melbourne,

I detect a rather large dose of uncertainty, preconception and insecurity (defining characteristics of an audiophile!) with this relatively controversial topic\dilemma of alternative digital playback systems. Allow me to highlight a portion of my experiences.

About a year ago, I embarked on replacing my seven-year old system, comprised of a CEC CD transport and a YBA PCM only DAC. At the time, being fully aware of the rapidly evolving nature of DACs (much more than transports), I purposefully did not overspent on the DAC.

Over this period, I listened to and auditioned a wide range of components, (most of them in my listening room but NOT in an A\B comparison setting), by various manufacturers encompassing various philosophies, theories and implementations. Amongst others, I experienced the sonic personalities (without necessarily intending to buy ) of Rockna Wavedream, YBA Signature, Allnic D-5000, Vitus RD-100 with AYON transport, dCS Rosini but not in my system, Light Harmonic Da Vinci (with STAX earphones, not my ML CLX based system), the new Marantz SA-10 S1, Lampizator Atlantic and T+A PDP 3000 HV SACD\CD\DAC. For reasons beyond my control, I could not audition the Aqua Optologic DACs and the Metrum Adagio.

My final decision came to be between the Lampizator Big 7 with the R2R PCM engine and the T+A PDP 3000 HV. As I could not audition the Big 7, I extrapolated that it would be superior to the Atlantic. I will not elaborate on the attributes of all the above-mentioned components but I should at least offer my thoughts on the two finalists, the Atlantic and the PDP 3000 HV. I had two sessions of each but not in a direct A\B comparison.

As I am not interested in computer-based music, files, streaming and servers AND as I do NOT consider CD\Redbook to be inferior as a medium (music production techniques and practices are far more crucial), I was only listening to CDs with (Atlantic plus CEC) and both CDs\SACDs with the PDP 3000 HV.

The Atlantic was beguiling, involving and vivid and the Big 7 would have been my choice, had I chosen the DAC-only path AND had I not auditioned the T+A PDP 3000 HV, which, apart from its sound, persuaded me to culminate to an all-in-one (CD\SACD\DAC) solution. There is no need to mention the uncompromising approach to the engineering and execution of the various stages\domains comprising this unit. My ultimate criteria were sonic and synergy related, coupled with my subjective preferences\priorities. As a player and amateur recordist, I value naturalness, linearity and a realistic presentation of how sounds are propagated across the soundstage.

With the PDP 300 HV in my system, the portrayal of music (at very high SPLs) was totally non-fatiguing, deeply detailed and natural\linear. There was an unobtrusive vividness without any perceived coloration, bloating, exaggerations or other artefacts. That ever-slight layer of “glassiness, abrasiveness and whitishness” that can often be detected on many digital playback components, was totally absent. Low frequency detail, inflection and definition were exemplary and the highs were rendered with body (but extended) and naturalness. Those subtle, microscopic inter-harmonic connective tissues (I am using some poetic licence here) of solo and clustered instruments gave music an elevated beauty and finesse. Of course, the CLXs were the perfect catalyst for such a manifestation. Spatial resolution and ambience retrieval together with image density\saturation (if on the recording) were omnipresent, and in a metaphorical and paradoxical sense, the unit itself was just not there. The music, rhythmically and melodically, flowed unhurriedly and unforcefully, similar to the Atlantic.

In conclusion, I would like to link my opening remarks with the facts that I witnessed. Namely, jettison any preconceptions and stereotyping about converter types (Delta-Sigma\R2R), sampling\filtering approaches, separates\all-in-one, valve\solidstate, manufacturer “spinning”, reputation and adopt a non-biased, open-minded approach. Engineering and implementation should be the only arbitrator.

I am, therefore, looking forward to receiving my own unit next week. The search is over and, unlike life itself where the journey is more beneficial than the destination, in this case I can assure everybody that the opposite is true. I apologize for the length of this post.

I also have to re-emphasize that these were not direct comparisons and that no denigration of the other components should be inferred, just because I omitted mentioning their plentiful strengths. My comments are based on how they performed in my system, taking into account its own distinct characteristics and my own personal preferences. I wish not to be misunderstood.

Cheers, Kostas.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As I am not interested in computer-based music, files, streaming and servers AND as I do NOT consider CD\Redbook to be inferior as a medium (music production techniques and practices are far more crucial), I was only listening to CDs with (Atlantic plus CEC) and both CDs\SACDs with the PDP 3000 HV.

Nice, a fellow CD spinner, and I agree about medium vs. production. And congratulations on your choice!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
You mean USD75,000 ?

Um?--Sheeesh CK I know the Bling is King in your part of the world--maybe thats for the Gold Plated version:D

Seriously I know Chris ( PT) I'm sure he will give you the current one there

Us peasants can get it for less:p From US Review Publication

BruceD

JMPlayer.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If this JMF transport is USD7,500 , I will buy two! Haha
jmf-audio.com/dmt37_en.htm

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Does anybody know when this JMF transport was introduced?
That claim of "world's first" seems odd to me...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My heart dropped to the floor when I saw you said $7,500.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Hi Bibo01,

Yes Linux is improving. We are keeping tabs on the progress, should we ever arrive at a point where it surpasses our version of the Windows OS in performance and usability rest assured we will upgrade all the SGM's in the field. I feel the need to stress that our version of Windows may look similar but is far from standard "under the hood". Knowing your track record from CA I'm sure you are aware that you can only do so much to tweak Windows once installed as it "protects" large portions of the OS from removal/disabling. All the aftermarket tweaking scripts and program's are limited by those bounds. We hence took a different approach and modified the Windows installation media to only install what we want to run on the system, tailored specifically to the SGM platform in both hardware and software. More akin to the Apple OS then Windows itself :rolleyes:
Hi,

I am aware of your approach and it's correct.
The difference with what we are doing is that you choose to install a certain general portion of OS that, for example, works on any x86 platform whereas we compile directly from the source for an i7 rather than an i3. I suppose we try to squeeze the very last drop of resources, peripherals, latency as well as buffer and block sizes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nothing good in audio these days can ever be expected to cost <10k
I really wouldn't be surprised if this JMF 3.7 transport costs 38k

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bruce, it's come to a pretty pass in the high end that one really doesn't believe one can get a top component for <10k
Crazy if you really think about it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing