Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) then maybe compare it to HQ Player, which likely outperforms it, is basically free, and improves not only redbook, but all resolutions of both PCM and dsd.

Mike,
Does HQ Player change the bit content of a DXD stream when outputting it in DXD format?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
Does HQ Player change the bit content of a DXD stream when outputting it in DXD format?

well, if I were to guess I'd say any dxd source file would output 'bit perfect' (without adjustment) through HQ Player assuming the output was set to dxd. maybe different HQ Player settings might alter it?

but for the correct answer......that would be a question for Edward Hsu or (Jussi, the HQ Player author) Miska.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Mike,

IIRC, no, unless you tell HQP to do otherwise. Keep in mind, as I am sure you know, that DXD is just a HiRez version of PCM. So in HQP you will just set (or tell it to pass all as native) what the specific rate/bit content that is coming in that you want HQP to pass native, ie, 24/384 (DXD). Of course you can do this with any rate/bit content with HQP

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Mike,

IIRC, no, unless you tell HQP to do otherwise. Keep in mind, as I am sure you know, that DXD is just a HiRez version of PCM. So in HQP you will just set (or tell it to pass all as native) what the specific rate/bit content that is coming in that you want HQP to pass native, ie, 24/384 (DXD). Of course you can do this with any rate/bit content with HQP

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Mike et al,

As a data point, I have an Esoteric K-03 along with a CAPS - like PC. The Esoteric transport (especially with a Cybershaft external clock) handily outperformed the USB PC input until very recently when I switched to a Linear PSU (HDplex). Once the PSU was fully broken in and configured to power the entire PC including the SOTM USB card the PC wins. I should add that it's purely subjective as the transport does spacial cues slightly better than the PC but the PC is fleshier in the mids, is more dynamic and has increased bass heft (w/o sacrificing clarity). At this point I'm contemplating purchasing the Aqua Formula and ditching discs completely, never thought I'd say that...

--Steve

I concur. I came to that result 2 years back when I upgraded my Mac Mini with the Uptone Audio MMK kit and run the HDPlex to feed that. It beat my decent CEC belt drive CDP. I also think there are tons of optimisations that can be performed on the USB feed, but eventually in my case I dropped USB and went AOIP. My thoughts on can a transport still beat a top server (pre-built) solution, I am still unsure. Audio Note have some excellent transports with tube regulated PS and a tube on the SPDIF output. I have heard from buddies who use them that they sound fantastic, but even though I use an Audio Note DAC, I will not go back to spinning CDs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
On the AudioExotics forum out of HK there is a lot of buzz for the JMF transport, that covers CDs, SACDs and BRs
The consensus seems to be that this transport beats streamer comparisons, and not in a small way
If this is true, then it may be a tad premature to have ditched the venerable cd format
For me, any move to streaming will be primarily for discovery of new music/having a complete classical music collection on Day 1, not specifically to necessarily have sq superior to my Eera Tentation cdp

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
On the AudioExotics forum out of HK there is a lot of buzz for the JMF transport, that covers CDs, SACDs and BRs
The consensus seems to be that this transport beats streamer comparisons, and not in a small way
If this is true, then it may be a tad premature to have ditched the venerable cd format
For me, any move to streaming will be primarily for discovery of new music/having a complete classical music collection on Day 1, not specifically to necessarily have sq superior to my Eera Tentation cdp

I would say get a demo unit of an Aurender or similar at home, and check things out. There are so many variables including the way you connect to it (USB, Ethernet, i2s) and if you have HD tracks, up sampling (or not).

From a pure data perspective, I can understand why a ripped file may contain less jitter or errors than a live spinning CD and laser pickup. When I ripp CDs they are done at 10th speed and checked for errors against a database. And downloaded Redbook files or HD Tracks I assume are from the masters albeit reduced down to 44.1 in the case of Redbook.

Computers are dirt cheap and fairly easy to optimise to become a very high end music server IMO. And audio player software has improved a LOT over the last few years. Unless the CDP has optimised power supplies and great built quality, possibly with tubed SPDIF, I am negative about how good it may be. In my option things have moved on really, though I fully accept there can still be mind blowing quality from a top CDP.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Has anyone here heard the Formula v the TotalDAC Dual or Six? These DACs are now head on v price and more or less specification. I was thinking about the TotalDAC last year but didn't press the trigger as was not convinced by the line stage in it but I haven't heard it so please take that as 'my theory'.

I am going to get a demo on the Formula soon, but still, not hearing the TotalDAC I am still curious if it is ahead of the pack like it appeared to be in 2015/2016. The TotalDAC got lots of glowing reviews and caused quite a stir in the community. IMO it was possibly the starter of the discrete DAC wave. This year we have the Formula, the La Scala MKII and the upgraded discrete boards in the Lampizator models to name a few, and a growing number of 'bargain' discrete DACs coming in from China such as the 2K Holo Audio Spring (think it's made in HK).

I am also curious if SMD ladders are as good as the Vishay array in the TotalDAC, and it they are more or less on par, why TotalDAC went that expensive to produce route? But regardless, if the new wave of discrete DACs keep coming, it has to get the prices down and more access to better sound on Redbook, and IMO a breath of fresh air after the 'desert' years of creative DAC design.
Massive generalisation here, and not saying there hasn't been some great DACs in the last 10 years, but on the whole I think has been pretty poor TBH. The big scare I believe is the high price tag DACs back then, and how much they would fetch now? And it hasn't got any simpler right now. I have no idea where DSD will be in a few years, if Sony has moved to DxD, are we looking at another dead end? Then we now have from 2016 MQA complaint DACs. I presume they will also play other formats, but there we go, another route that may be a dead end as well, though I personally hope MQA keeps going.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Astro, my Eera slipped under the radar for most listeners
Released in 2010, w no dac out, in the incoming rush that was streaming, it had no chance in the market place
But Albert Von Schweikert declared it world's preeminent cdp, JackD201 loves it more than any other, and it's melted my heart as a died in the wool analog man
Had it been released a decade earlier, I'm sure it would have cleaned up w the likes of the top guys on this forum
And hence I've never felt minded to go down the streaming route
But for overall music choice, streaming is a no brainer
For overall sq, I'm happy to spend zero extra on digital gear

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Astro, my Eera slipped under the radar for most listeners
Released in 2010, w no dac out, in the incoming rush that was streaming, it had no chance in the market place
But Albert Von Schweikert declared it world's preeminent cdp, JackD201 loves it more than any other, and it's melted my heart as a died in the wool analog man
Had it been released a decade earlier, I'm sure it would have cleaned up w the likes of the top guys on this forum
And hence I've never felt minded to go down the streaming route
But for overall music choice, streaming is a no brainer
For overall sq, I'm happy to spend zero extra on digital gear

Oh go on, you know you want to.... well get one in for a demo, then see. It's like channel flicking, imagine the worlds music at your fingertips, how can that be bad? Hey, you might even find something the other half likes!

Joking aside, I know what you mean. But for example, I can play anything I want right there, I can mpeg it out for the car, I can take my entire collection and my Stax headhones to my parent house when I stay with them. Then you can if you want, pump it round the house on wifi or ethernet to other rooms. I could even listen to tracks streaming off Tidal on the train. And think how much time you waste finding that elusive CD on the shelves.

Ha Ha, that just reminded me, a mate of mine who may be a bit odd I guess, he has the fixed routine that he HAD to listen to all his CDs in rotation. Think about it, he would buy a new CD, listen to it say on 2nd March 2017, then couldn't hear it again till 23rd December 2018!!!!

And now with Tidal and the final arrival of Redbook and more with MQA, we have parity v bought CDs. I still purchased CDs till mid 2016 but have sold all of them since (at a big loss).

Anyway, with a streamer you can track mix and match, suit your mood, you get me drift. It works better trust me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Astro, you could be talking about me
I have a slight (no, make that total) tendency to listen to stuff in order, but have never had any problem finding a cd LOL
With a record collection of 3000, on a 4 a day habit, I round back to the same disc every couple of years
Remember, I've had exposure to a well sorted SGM system at Blue58's, every 2-4 wks over the last several months and I am fully sold on it's sound and user friendliness
As an ingrained computerphobe of the highest order, it's the only such device I feel inherently confident I could handle
I'm sold on it's sq, and what it could do for my listening habits
Put it this way, the budget I would in the past have not hesitated on spending on a new tt/arm will in future go on SGM/appropriate dac (likely T&A Dac8)

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
ok, this morning I did finally move stuff around and begin the Aqua La Diva CD transport comparison with the SGM server......both through the Aqua Formula dac.

I removed the SGM from the Adona rack and placed it on the floor. I then raised the shelf the SGM had been on high enough to give me room to stack the La Diva transport on top of the Formula dac so it could get full advantage from the Herzan. the SGM is likely in a similar resonance situation as before as it is sitting on an Adona wood/granite shelf on cones through the carpet into the concrete floor, using it's own integral footers. I also placed inverted BDR cones between the Formula dac and the La Diva transport. I've already determined that the Aqua footers are not helpful as they smear transients.

the 2 Aqua products do work together in a good way to allow seamless comparisons, since the transport remote also switches inputs on the dac. so i can start a file on the dac, and start a disc on the transport at the same time and with one button switch back and forth....no clicks, and it seems to be identical volume.

first impression is that the La Diva really likes the Herzan, as now the focus and decay of the music is much, much better and the ease and refinement are a few levels better that when it was sitting on the floor. the noise floor, ambient retrieval and bass articulation is also improved which has expanded the soundstage. the 'jump factor' and overall energy is better too. so far I've gone through most of the tracks of the Burmester II CD on the La Diva/file on the SGM and it's very close, possibly the a very slight edge to the SGM as a tiny bit more refined. but if I was not able to quickly A/B I'm not sure I could pick one. but this is just the last 45 minutes......

Aqua duo-1.jpg

Aqua duo-2.jpg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, excuse my ignorance, but are you playing CDs the old fashioned way in this a/b ie just at 16/44, or is the Formula upscaling those CDs to dxd?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Sounds like the Herzan is contributing quite a lot to both sources.
Some achievement for the La Diva if it is indistinguishable from 24/384 from the SGMS.
Wonder how the combo compares to the other big boys.
Keep testing.
Cheers

nepherte

Jun 11, 2015
Has anyone here heard the Formula v the TotalDAC Dual or Six? These DACs are now head on v price and more or less specification. I was thinking about the TotalDAC last year but didn't press the trigger as was not convinced by the line stage in it but I haven't heard it so please take that as 'my theory'.

I am going to get a demo on the Formula soon, but still, not hearing the TotalDAC I am still curious if it is ahead of the pack like it appeared to be in 2015/2016. The TotalDAC got lots of glowing reviews and caused quite a stir in the community. IMO it was possibly the starter of the discrete DAC wave. This year we have the Formula, the La Scala MKII and the upgraded discrete boards in the Lampizator models to name a few, and a growing number of 'bargain' discrete DACs coming in from China such as the 2K Holo Audio Spring (think it's made in HK).

I am also curious if SMD ladders are as good as the Vishay array in the TotalDAC, and it they are more or less on par, why TotalDAC went that expensive to produce route? But regardless, if the new wave of discrete DACs keep coming, it has to get the prices down and more access to better sound on Redbook, and IMO a breath of fresh air after the 'desert' years of creative DAC design.
Massive generalisation here, and not saying there hasn't been some great DACs in the last 10 years, but on the whole I think has been pretty poor TBH. The big scare I believe is the high price tag DACs back then, and how much they would fetch now? And it hasn't got any simpler right now. I have no idea where DSD will be in a few years, if Sony has moved to DxD, are we looking at another dead end? Then we now have from 2016 MQA complaint DACs. I presume they will also play other formats, but there we go, another route that may be a dead end as well, though I personally hope MQA keeps going.

I heard the Formula vs. Dave vs. D1-Dual in a side by side comparison with 2 other friends. DACS were connected to the SGM. I believe the consensus was in favor of the D1-Dual, although I'd say all in all, it was a close call. just so you know, I am the owner of said Totaldac, one of the others owned the Dave, and the Formula & SGM came from the retailer. Not long after, my friend sold the Dave and got the D1-Six instead. The SGM did make an audible difference (compared to a SonicTransporter + Rendu setup), but to be honest, not enough to justify opening up my wallet for it? YMMV

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, excuse my ignorance, but are you playing CDs the old fashioned way in this a/b ie just at 16/44, or is the Formula upscaling those CDs to dxd?

Marc,

as far as I know, the Formula dac plays the redbook/44/16 data without up-sampling. I did look at the manual and website in case there was some sort of info about it.....but saw nothing related that would indicate it re-samples the input. possibly this speaks to that.....

from the Aqua Formula tech info on the Aqua website;

proprietary DFD (Direct From Decoder) digital decoding without digital filter for purest digital signal quality. Innovative treatment of the PCM digital signal: after exhaustive listening tests, a 1x sample rate has been chosen as the best.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I heard the Formula vs. Dave vs. D1-Dual in a side by side comparison with 2 other friends. DACS were connected to the SGM. I believe the consensus was in favor of the D1-Dual, although I'd say all in all, it was a close call. just so you know, I am the owner of said Totaldac, one of the others owned the Dave, and the Formula & SGM came from the retailer. Not long after, my friend sold the Dave and got the D1-Six instead. The SGM did make an audible difference (compared to a SonicTransporter + Rendu setup), but to be honest, not enough to justify opening up my wallet for it? YMMV

thanks.

a question; do you recall whether XLR or RCA interconnects were used for this comparison?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing