Samsung to buy Harman International for $8bn

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Here goes more local jobs? And with it more smoke up the air? Yup, make America great again...way to go! :b;)

By the way,

Harman International Industries, Incorporated is an American company that designs and engineers connected products for automakers, consumers and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems; audio and visual products, enterprise automation; and connected services. Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, Harman maintains major operations in the Americas, Europe, as well as Asia and markets its products under more than twenty brands — including AKG Acoustics, AMX, Crown Audio, Harman/Kardon, Infinity, JBL, JBL Professional, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer.

Founded: 1980
CEO: Dinesh Paliwal
Founder: Sidney Harman
Headquarters: Stamford, CT

? http://www.harman.com/
_______

And some added info for the interested souls: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2642545-samsung-buying-harman-8-billion.html#post48162617
* Some of the comments are educative as well...

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Here goes more local jobs? And with it more smoke up the air? Yup, make America great again...way to go! :b;)

I did not read where it said that these jobs were leaving the US. Where is the evidence for your statement? And the political jab is out of line.

Take a deep breath, look out the window and gaze at the glorious full moon in the Canadian night sky shining across the calm lake with fish and frogs and other dark creatures. Listen to the owls making music and celebrate the mysteries of nature. Then smile quietly....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well on the plus side, Samsung does not cut back on R&D. On the downside, according to my non-Korean Samsung exec friends, the culture of shadow management takes a hell of a lot to of getting used to. Hope the Harman guys don't find that too restricting and split.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I did not read where it said that these jobs were leaving the US. Where is the evidence for your statement? And the political jab is out of line.

Take a deep breath, look out the window and gaze at the glorious full moon in the Canadian night sky shining across the calm lake with fish and frogs and other dark creatures. Listen to the owls making music and celebrate the mysteries of nature. Then smile quietly....

Peter, that wasn't a statement, that was a simple humorous question.
Samsung is a South Korean multinational conglomerate company headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul.
As for the rest, history keeps repeating itself, anywhere, everywhere, including America. We do business with the world, the economy has never been better.

Your advice is sounds; I've been doing just that for the last ... I can't recall when. ...A long long long time.
Works both ways, from the adviser too. My punctuation was correct, and my emoticons supported my humor. I am totally relax and comfortably numb.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Did NS send you some little squares of blotter paper to put under your tongue? ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Can't be too much worse than working for the Germans.

That's not what I hear. Word is that Korean management is so top down that even co-pilots are afraid to speak up even if the plane is crashing hence the shadow thing. It's like every little thing has to be cleared or at least reported constantly.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That's not what I hear. Word is that Korean management is so top down that even co-pilots are afraid to speak up even if the plane is crashing hence the shadow thing. It's like every little thing has to be cleared or at least reported constantly.

same in the car business.

for a number of recent years Kia switched American bosses about every 9-12 months because their expectations were so un-real they thought they could demand market change and not earn it.......and no one would have the guts to be honest with them.

the Darth Vader approach.

that has calmed a bit now.....

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Samsung needs this to help defray the losses they are and will continue to experience in the cell phone market because of their arsonist cell phone.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Operating Structure and Leadership

"Upon closing, HARMAN will operate as a standalone Samsung subsidiary, and continue to be led by Dinesh Paliwal and HARMAN’s current management team. Samsung is pursuing a long-term growth strategy in automotive electronics, and plans to retain HARMAN’s work force, headquarters and facilities, as well as all of its consumer and professional audio brands. Samsung believes the combination will increase career development and advancement opportunities for the employees of both companies.

Samsung’s Automotive Electronics Business Team, which was established in December of 2015 to identify opportunities for Samsung in the automotive sector, will work closely with the HARMAN management team to realize the full growth potential of the combination."

______

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...owth-in-automotive-and-connected-technologies

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Operating Structure and Leadership

"Upon closing, HARMAN will operate as a standalone Samsung subsidiary, and continue to be led by Dinesh Paliwal and HARMAN’s current management team. Samsung is pursuing a long-term growth strategy in automotive electronics, and plans to retain HARMAN’s work force, headquarters and facilities, as well as all of its consumer and professional audio brands. Samsung believes the combination will increase career development and advancement opportunities for the employees of both companies.

Samsung’s Automotive Electronics Business Team, which was established in December of 2015 to identify opportunities for Samsung in the automotive sector, will work closely with the HARMAN management team to realize the full growth potential of the combination."

______

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...owth-in-automotive-and-connected-technologies

There ya go! Hope it's calmed down as Mike says.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hope is not something to rely on, only facts will tell. :b And right now $8 billion is the main fact. We'll keep both ears open on the future...in our cars, and also @ home. Past is not necessarily reflective of the future; everyone can change, money changes people...in vast general.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing