Cessaro or Von Schweikert

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You do realize you are comparing a $60,000 speaker to a $200,000 speaker that has twice as many drivers???

So? Is there some reason crossover design should be stifling different relative to price? No. Integration (drivers) isn't limited by price really. Overall performance sure, but as far as being harmonious it's up to the designer even if it's an Elac $300 speaker pair. Your Endeavour's integrated some oddball, but powerful, midbass drivers with some mids and tweeters pretty much perfectly. You can find great executions anywhere in audio; but that doesn't mean talented because of coarse quality of drivers, cabinet, and crossover parts affect performance.

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
So? Is there some reason crossover design should be stifling different relative to price? No. Integration (drivers) isn't limited by price really. Overall performance sure, but as far as being harmonious it's up to the designer even if it's an Elac $300 speaker pair. Your Endeavour's integrated some oddball, but powerful, midbass drivers with a pro driver midrange and audiophile tweeter, pretty much perfectly. You can find great executions anywhere in audio; but that doesn't mean talented because of coarse quality of drivers, cabinet, and crossover parts affect performance.

Integration has nothing to do with price. It has to do with the designers ability to design a network that is optimum for the drivers chosen. I'm not using a P.A. driver for the midbass in the Endeavor speakers. All of those drivers happen to be audiophile drivers so I'm not really sure what you mean by oddball lol. Thank you for the compliment though. I was very happy with the final design of the E-3 MkII speaker and it's price point.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Guys remember that we're talking about a room with only 14 ft of depth here. The speakers being talked about are all 3 ft deep or more. Think about the remaining listening distance if the owner is not going to have his head smack against the rear wall. The OP also stated that he did not want the speakers to dominate the room visually. Just reminding everybody of the context here.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
There is obviously a big difference between the systems you are considering; horn vs dynamic speakers. As a person who recently moved from horns to dynamic box speakers, I'll share my experiences. The horns excelled at midrange purity and had absolutely zero distortion. Bass integration was never perfect, as my Avantgardes played down to 300 hz with the horn before the subwoofer took over. Also, my horns had a very defined sweet spot, which was almost maddening. But I really miss that midrange purity, where music seemed to pour out of the speakers.

My new speakers, Quintessence Stealth's, give me what was missing in the Avantgardes. Most notably: driver integration, excellent tuneful bass, image accuracy, soundstage height and wide dispersion. Also, the ribbon super tweeter is a real star in this speaker.

Good luck on your quest.

I concur with this post.....

Cheers,.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Guys remember that we're talking about a room with only 14 ft of depth here. The speakers being talked about are all 3 ft deep or more. Think about the remaining listening distance if the owner is not going to have his head smack against the rear wall. The OP also stated that he did not want the speakers to dominate the room visually. Just reminding everybody of the context here.

I hate it when I bump my head lol.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi for that room size another contender is stenheim alumine 5, much better size, and lots of scale and bass

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If it's a horns x cones scenario, in that particular room, and taking in consideration the OP's goals, my choices would be an Avantgarde Uno XD or a YG Hailey. Either one would be considerably less than the original two choices, and are, IMHO, considerably better. You might even want to go with YG Sonja 1.2, but that's a little over budget and a little taller/imposing than might be desired.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, YG Hailey or stenheim alumine 5

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think that the Evolution Acoustics MiniTwo would be a perfect small room speaker having an adjustable small integrated subwoofer.

a local friend has this speaker in a 10 foot wide very small room and it sounds amazing. it's been used at a number of audio shows in small rooms to very high praise. exceptional bass and scale rendition.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Some interesting observations abound-

In answer to the original Q--my pref would be for the Cessaro over the Von Schweikerts--I've heard two Pairs of the latters in Hi End systems in private homes

the Cessaro's at Shows and recently the Larger Carmen with Analogue Front end in a dedicated Room--that was the Clincher.

Purely subjective and I stress both brands are excellent performers--your ears are the final judge.

BruceD

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Integration has nothing to do with price. It has to do with the designers ability to design a network that is optimum for the drivers chosen. I'm not using a P.A. driver for the midbass in the Endeavor speakers. All of those drivers happen to be audiophile drivers so I'm not really sure what you mean by oddball lol. Thank you for the compliment though. I was very happy with the final design of the E-3 MkII speaker and it's price point.

Oops, right the midrange isn't a pro driver, I was mixing up carbon drivers. It looks like another brand's, too. The Dayton units are a little odd because they perform well but measurements give rise to a fair bit of talk among driver nerds. And yes big compliments to a great speaker.

I believe that's a factor in where the horns are also playing a strength. Because they direct sound forward you can place them closer to walls so long as the bass doesn't have rear firing elements - but may need a little treatment for bass anyways. If all drivers where horns you could park them right up against the wall :eek: .

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I think that the Evolution Acoustics MiniTwo would be a perfect small room speaker having an adjustable small integrated subwoofer.

a local friend has this speaker in a 10 foot wide very small room and it sounds amazing. it's been used at a number of audio shows in small rooms to very high praise. exceptional bass and scale rendition.

Oh my, +1 to that! That's a great speaker as well! It images like a mini-monitor, but with great extension!

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
If it's a horns x cones scenario, in that particular room, and taking in consideration the OP's goals, my choices would be an Avantgarde Uno XD or a YG Hailey. Either one would be considerably less than the original two choices, and are, IMHO, considerably better. You might even want to go with YG Sonja 1.2, but that's a little over budget and a little taller/imposing than might be desired.

I like how you say the YG's are better since you sell them lol

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I like how you say the YG's are better since you sell them lol

Forgive me but I just find it amusing when a OP ask a question between 2 different brands and other posters come in pushing their brands.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Forgive me but I just find it amusing when a OP ask a question between 2 different brands and other posters come in pushing their brands.

Haha too true! I was trying to give my impressions of horn vs. dynamic and inadvertently discussed a different brand......I'll fix that.

I'm thinking the VS speakers would be a better choice in that smaller room due to the adjustable bass and horns really need space.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Haha too true! I was trying to give my impressions of horn vs. dynamic and inadvertently discussed a different brand......I'll fix that.

I'm thinking the VS speakers would be a better choice in that smaller room due to the adjustable bass and horns really need space.

Thank you but I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the dealers:)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Oh wow.............I really like your listening room:)

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Let's do an apples to apples comparison

You do realize you are comparing a $60,000 speaker to a $200,000 speaker that has twice as many drivers???

Yes Leif, you are correct. I would say the proper apples to apples comparison would be our 40k Evolution Acoustics MiniTwo versus the VR 55. The 50k MMTwo would also be unfair to compare to due to the fact that it has a 15 inch active woofer as well as two ceramic mid range drivers and is just much more speaker. If all he is looking for is price range, he would have to compare our 65k MMThrees to your 60k VR 55's.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Thanks everyone for their comments, especially jeffrey_t, Leif, Bruce, Jack, Folsom about the equipment and Mike/Lloyd for the booze recommendation.

The reason i shortlisted Cessaro and Von Schweikert was due to their size/weight/suitability for small space as mine room. Thus my preference for the Wagner and VR-55 models than the Alpha/Ultra 9 models.

Next part, i would like the speaker to portraits crazy dynamics/resolution, very deep sound stage and excellent imaging. As my location and time dont allow me to audition these speakers appropriately hence i very much value your opinions and expertise.

P/S: The MM3 is an interesting choice. YG Hailey is not as i have auditioned the YG Camel i found it to be a bit dull.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing