Sweating the Small Stuff for Big Returns

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have been enjoying a cartridge which I just got back from a rebuild. As it breaks in, and the sound of my system improves, it has me rethinking what I had previously thought about the relative importance of various aspects of system building. As I have not changed anything about my system in the past three years except this rebuilt cartridge and learning more about cartridge set up and loading, I have started to think about why it seems that my system continues to improve and why I have been more emotionally involved with hearing my music through my system. Listening has reached a level of satisfaction, that I no longer obsess about upgrading particular components. Sure, specific upgrades would be great, but I no longer feel the need to do so in order to be happy with my system. Here is what I just posted on my system thread and my MSL/AirTight cartridge comparison thread:

"This has changed my thinking about the relative importance of component selection, proper system set up, and fine tuning, whether it be with front end adjustments in an analog system or the selection of filters and settings in a digital system, or the judicious placement of room treatments, speakers and listening seat locations. All of these cost little but time, experimentation, and a willingness to learn and listen carefully. This is consistent with my experience of hearing great systems and with observations I have read from more experienced audiophiles on forums like this one: The quality of a system is not guaranteed by the level of components but rather by their careful selection, proper set up, and judicious fine tuning. This is ultimately what makes a satisfying system and listening experience."

I think this is an interesting topic about which I have not seen much discussion.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Peter, would you say that music "turntabling" is like rediscovering and reinventing and re-positioning...readjusting, perfecting the art, mastering the grooving, tracking, experimenting, spending time, getting much more involved with the gear and cleaning and adjusting than just simply tuning the dial and fine tuning the station and listening to the radio?
The needle, the diamond is in direct physical contact with the record's groove walls. In comparison the radio is audio wave transmission...over the air microwave signals.
Both need optimization. Small adjustments sure can make all the counting difference.

It takes a lot of courage today to be a dedicated record music (LP/33/45/78) audiophile.
That very small diamond tracking the grooves from the outside to the inside of an album, and inheriting everything accumulating on it from them walls is like making love under the shower in the morning rising sun. This is no small stuff when it comes to the shaped cut of that rock, and all the other small parts attached to it...cantilever...coils, filaments, magnets, ...cart.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The quality of a system is not guaranteed by the level of components but rather by their careful selection, proper set up, and judicious fine tuning..

Too many aspects to this. One is the what the hobby is about - is about fine tuning, setting up, or trying different products, or something else.

Based on sonics, yes, fine tuning and set up skills should ideally get much more out of a system. Which is why I like modded components, experts who have lived with a particular component and have tweaked it, can get much more out of a lower priced component than a stock component.

Regarding set-up/matching of components, I would expect this to be even more true in the TT world. Ron is very clear, he is just going to buy his TT, and let an expert set it up. It can make or break a system. I always thought that Marty was able to extract much more from his system than the just the sum of the component parts by matching things and setting them up carefully.

At the same time, at least my observed caveat for fine tuning is that most audiophiles make their own system a reference, and when they tweak or fine tune something, while it makes their own system better than what it previously was, the delta to external ears is actually not that big, though the fine-tuning can be extremely enjoyable as a process. For all my excitement on changing valves on my Lampi, the delta is much less significant than when Bill changed his BMC phono to the Aesthetix 3 box IO Sig. And so would be the case if 95% of audiophiles changed their speakers.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I have been enjoying a cartridge which I just got back from a rebuild. As it breaks in, and the sound of my system improves, it has me rethinking what I had previously thought about the relative importance of various aspects of system building. As I have not changed anything about my system in the past three years except this rebuilt cartridge and learning more about cartridge set up and loading, I have started to think about why it seems that my system continues to improve and why I have been more emotionally involved with hearing my music through my system. Listening has reached a level of satisfaction, that I no longer obsess about upgrading particular components. Sure, specific upgrades would be great, but I no longer feel the need to do so in order to be happy with my system. Here is what I just posted on my system thread and my MSL/AirTight cartridge comparison thread:

"This has changed my thinking about the relative importance of component selection, proper system set up, and fine tuning, whether it be with front end adjustments in an analog system or the selection of filters and settings in a digital system, or the judicious placement of room treatments, speakers and listening seat locations. All of these cost little but time, experimentation, and a willingness to learn and listen carefully. This is consistent with my experience of hearing great systems and with observations I have read from more experienced audiophiles on forums like this one: The quality of a system is not guaranteed by the level of components but rather by their careful selection, proper set up, and judicious fine tuning. This is ultimately what makes a satisfying system and listening experience."

I think this is an interesting topic about which I have not seen much discussion.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I think it's a very interesting discussion. I posted my thoughts on this on a different thread, quoted here below (bolded to highlight particular relevance to your post, edited in light of responding to you):

418Ikeg0YbL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg antifragile-1.jpg

(These books), essentially deal with asymmetrical relationships which are one of the defining features of complex systems. Finance is a complex system, marine ecosystems are, our bodies are. Some quick examples:

Investing in the stock market (an extremely complex system of interdependencies) comes with the reality that on any given day - in fact at any given minute - you’re exposed to unlimited upside and unlimited downside. Because it’s inherently asymmetrical, each dollar you invest can either make you a disproportionate amount, or lose you a disproportionate amount, and far greater than the value of your initial investment. If you’re astute, and many think they are but are not, you look for trades in which the asymmetry is heavily weighted in upside and limited in downside, like say, buying credit default swaps against subprime mortgage securities in 2008.

Our bodies, an extraordinarily complex bio-physiological organism, are also subject to asymmetrical relationships. The blood-brain barrier is a highly selective semi-permeable shield separating the blood from the brain’s extracellular fluid, permitting the entry of nutrients it considers essential while preventing harmful toxins and bacteria from doing so. One of the ways it does this is by preventing molecules heavier than 400 gm/mole to enter (though it also has more sophisticated systems for tagging which molecules can and can’t enter). Water, for instance, has a molecular weight of 18 gm/mole, and easily crosses the blood-brain barrier. Heroin has a molecular weight of 369 gm/mole, also making it capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier. However, though both water and heroin are capable of doing so, the effects on the bio-physiological state of an individual are inversely proportionate. Your body’s relationship to long-term consumption of (uncontaminated) water is only ever positive (or at the very least benign), and in the case that your body has too much of it, it has a rather simple way of getting rid of it. Long term exposure to heroin however is only ever extremely negative, and while the body does rid itself of heroin, the symptoms of it leaving the body are vastly more pronounced.

My framing of Steve’s comments apropos the installation of Master Built Cables is one of looking at an audio system as a complex system in which small changes can have an asymmetrical payoff in either a positive and negative direction in differing degrees of magnitude. ... (My view as previously stated on this forum is that given that the human brain contains music-specific neural pathways that respond exclusively to music but not to other sounds, an audio system playing an art form socio-culturally understood to be “music” can therefore be analysed not by the way an electrical signal is modulated through a series of components but only ever by the way the brain responds to that same signal. Did that component pass that electrical waveform without measurable deviation? Yes. Is that same waveform music or something else? Only our brains will ever know.)

... My own experience leads me to believe that small changes can often have disproportionate effects. The problem with those effects is that they are often difficult to describe, especially so in a complex system that undergoes constant changes of state. I could take a sip of water and a toke of a spliff and not be able to reliably tell you any difference in effect, though the molecular composition of each is radically different. Longer term exposure would allow better discernment of the influence of one over the other, allowing scientific analysis to better measure the effects on my bio-physiological state. However, if we were to give the same substances to a baby, a toke of a spliff would have much greater impact because the baby’s bio-physiological state is much more susceptible to stimulus (positive and/or negative). The fact remains that some of our systems are more susceptible to discerning changes than others, either because they are more revealing of small changes, because they are interdependently more complex (a stylus, magnet, cartridge, arm, bearing, platter, motor, plinth is an extremely complex relationship), or both.

Steve’s comments come off to me as simply someone’s reaction to a complex system of interdependencies in which a small change resulted in a significant difference that was disproportionate to expectations. That’s the nature of asymmetry in complex systems. No less, no more.

Thanks for starting a topic on this. Looking forward to more contributions on this.

Best,

853guy

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
The quality of a system is not guaranteed by the level of components but rather by their careful selection, proper set up, and judicious fine tuning. This is ultimately what makes a satisfying system and listening experience."[/I]

bonzo75 said:
Too many aspects to this. One is the what the hobby is about - is about fine tuning, setting up, or trying different products, or something else.

Based on sonics, yes, fine tuning and set up skills should ideally get much more out of a system. Which is why I like modded components, experts who have lived with a particular component and have tweaked it, can get much more out of a lower priced component than a stock component.

Regarding set-up/matching of components, I would expect this to be even more true in the TT world. Ron is very clear, he is just going to buy his TT, and let an expert set it up. It can make or break a system. I always thought that Marty was able to extract much more from his system than the just the sum of the component parts by matching things and setting them up carefully.

At the same time, at least my observed caveat for fine tuning is that most audiophiles make their own system a reference, and when they tweak or fine tune something, while it makes their own system better than what it previously was, the delta to external ears is actually not that big, though the fine-tuning can be extremely enjoyable as a process. For all my excitement on changing valves on my Lampi, the delta is much less significant than when Bill changed his BMC phono to the Aesthetix 3 box IO Sig. And so would be the case if 95% of audiophiles changed their speakers

Hi Peter, Hi Bonzo

As I’ve mentioned above, asymmetrical relationships in complex systems create asymmetries disproportionate to the initial value of investment.

As to the points you’ve made bolded above, I want to offer a painful example from my own journey that I think underlines both of your statements.

Having neared Nirvana on my Naim journey I discovered that while my system continued to make incremental but meaningful progress with each tweak and addition Naim brought out, fundamentally, I only ever had a slightly better version of what I already had. That is, while I was able to build on it’s strengths (momentum, macro-dynamics and pitch differentiation), fundamentally, it did nothing to address its weaknesses (lack of harmonic complexity, fluidity of spaces in between the notes, touch and micro-dynamic filigree) - instead, my progress in one direction only called into sharp relief the lack of progress in others.

Ultimately finding it a three-trick pony (that Pace, Rhythm and Timing trope really became a self-defining limitation), but a very entertaining one in the ways that tricky ponies can be, in a fit of buyer’s impertinence I sold it all and ventured into the heavy-hitters Stereophile and TAS claimed were worthy of being loaned out long-term to their reviewers, accruing the quid quo pro commensurate honours. American digital, American valve amps, European speakers with exotic drivers and racks subject to modal analysis - there’s no need to name names.

I tweaked and tweaked and obsessed and tweaked and obsessed some more over setup, placement, power, isolation, acoustic treatments, cable dressing, millimetre perfect positioning, footers and other footers and better footers and placing Post-It notes under those better footers (one at a time, listening for the “change” I believed it would produce with methodical attention to the subtlest and most ephemeral artefacts of the recording process)…

Man, that system sucked.

While it addressed the weaknesses I was so desperate to remedy from my previous system, its strengths were ultimately as limited. In the end, it became difficult to keep watching a show where the characters remain mono-dimensional and their attempt at development is to film it in ever higher-resolution. What’s more, while many of the tweaks I employed came with gains to one or more aspects of its performance, there was just as often a deficit to others that resulted in a net loss.

In both cases, with the Naim and the those-that-shall-not-be-named, the system was never able to reach beyond its fundament character. They were what they were. They were defined by the values their topology, implementation and execution dictated. That they changed was only testament to the reality that complex systems have asymmetries that can be exploited. The BMC may have been good - great even with a bunch of very carefully executed tweaking, isolation, power cord swapping and grounding et al, but it’s possible its character remains evident and ultimately less-dimensional than that of the Aesthetix even without the tweaks (I’m guessing, I’ve not heard either).

So to me, component selection remains critical. You can roll a one-trick pony in glitter but it’s still just a small horse.

And if I learned anything from those two very expensive systems, it’s that only experience can tell you if the asymmetry you’re exploiting for a disproportionate gain comes at the expense of another variable that moves in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
853guy, may I ask what components you use now?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
It's great to hear the Peter is covering new ground in his system based on his efforts to fine tune the cartridge. I have had a similar experience in recent attempts to improve my cartridge alignment,vtf and tracking force. I must have spent 4 hours on alignment alone. Now I hesitate to make any changes as I'm so happy.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Listening has reached a level of satisfaction, that I no longer obsess about upgrading particular components. Sure, specific upgrades would be great, but I no longer feel the need to do so in order to be happy with my system.

+1. That is what it's all about for me. Smell the roses and enjoy. I really see little changes going forward for the next 5 years...other than a different cart or two being added to the stable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is there a market for professional turntable in-home setup engineers?
Because on our own even after over forty years of spinning albums on various turntables with various cartridges and performing all the adjustments and rituals how can we be absolutely certain that everything is optimized to its full potential?
I am very serious.

This is no small peanuts; the art of spinning records with all the optimal adjustments plus the optimal washing/cleaning the LPs plus the optimal maintenance of all those moving parts for optimal quality music reproduction fidelity plus the optimal quality LPs we purchase from the people who did a great job mastering and manufacturing them records and without flaws. There is another thread recently started talking about the quality record/LP manufacturers. This is a serious art, and quite complex with many stages to get to a final quality product. Even the best LP makers in the business admit to it. It's like there is no perfect album, it's almost impossible. Like there's no perfect compact disc; we all know that by now.

So, should we hire a pro to set up our turntables, tonearms, cartridges, belt tension, speed, isolation, tools needed to maintain the stylus and azimuth and tracking force and tangential horizontal and vertical angles and anti-skating and also the effective record cleaning machines that we can all afford?

Can a simple and humble TT setup that we perform ourselves outclass a CD player from the same financial value and without complications?

Peter, you are a record lover, you dedicated part of your life in the art of analog sound reproduction for your pleasurable hearing satisfaction, from a turntable.
You sent your cart to Japan to be rebuilt/realigned. Was this a substantial expenditure? In America do we have master cartridge builders and re-builders?
I am interested to know, in trying to assess the best options we have today in music reproduction @ home with the best efficiency, fun, love, accessibility to the music we love, rediscovering what we already have and the new LPs out there waiting to be discovered.

Is the journey permitting to discover more new music or optimize better the lesser we have?
Another serious question because we all have our music philosophies in life, and they get stronger with age. ...Or they alternate @ some stages of our musical evolution.
Share the music, the LPs you are spinning on your TT, that you are listening to and love, please.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Peter, Hi Bonzo

As I’ve mentioned above, asymmetrical relationships in complex systems create asymmetries disproportionate to the initial value of investment.

As to the points you’ve made bolded above, I want to offer a painful example from my own journey that I think underlines both of your statements.

Having neared Nirvana on my Naim journey I discovered that while my system continued to make incremental but meaningful progress with each tweak and addition Naim brought out, fundamentally, I only ever had a slightly better version of what I already had. That is, while I was able to build on it’s strengths (momentum, macro-dynamics and pitch differentiation), fundamentally, it did nothing to address its weaknesses (lack of harmonic complexity, fluidity of spaces in between the notes, touch and micro-dynamic filigree) - instead, my progress in one direction only called into sharp relief the lack of progress in others.

Ultimately finding it a three-trick pony (that Pace, Rhythm and Timing trope really became a self-defining limitation), but a very entertaining one in the ways that tricky ponies can be, in a fit of buyer’s impertinence I sold it all and ventured into the heavy-hitters Stereophile and TAS claimed were worthy of being loaned out long-term to their reviewers, accruing the quid quo pro commensurate honours. American digital, American valve amps, European speakers with exotic drivers and racks subject to modal analysis - there’s no need to name names.

I tweaked and tweaked and obsessed and tweaked and obsessed some more over setup, placement, power, isolation, acoustic treatments, cable dressing, millimetre perfect positioning, footers and other footers and better footers and placing Post-It notes under those better footers (one at a time, listening for the “change” I believed it would produce with methodical attention to the subtlest and most ephemeral artefacts of the recording process)…

Man, that system sucked.

While it addressed the weaknesses I was so desperate to remedy from my previous system, its strengths were ultimately as limited. In the end, it became difficult to keep watching a show where the characters remain mono-dimensional and their attempt at development is to film it in ever higher-resolution. What’s more, while many of the tweaks I employed came with gains to one or more aspects of its performance, there was just as often a deficit to others that resulted in a net loss.

In both cases, with the Naim and the those-that-shall-not-be-named, the system was never able to reach beyond its fundament character. They were what they were. They were defined by the values their topology, implementation and execution dictated. That they changed was only testament to the reality that complex systems have asymmetries that can be exploited. The BMC may have been good - great even with a bunch of very carefully executed tweaking, isolation, power cord swapping and grounding et al, but it’s possible its character remains evident and ultimately less-dimensional than that of the Aesthetix even without the tweaks (I’m guessing, I’ve not heard either).

So to me, component selection remains critical. You can roll a one-trick pony in glitter but it’s still just a small horse.

And if I learned anything from those two very expensive systems, it’s that only experience can tell you if the asymmetry you’re exploiting for a disproportionate gain comes at the expense of another variable that moves in the opposite direction.

853guy,

your post is very interesting, as is your first one on this thread. I agree that component selection remains critical. Fortunately, I have had to choose my basic set-up only once (after switching from a headphone system): CD playback going into Audio Innovations parallel push-pull triode monoblocks that drive highly efficient monitors, combined with a subwoofer. The amps have been heavily modified and supplemented with external power supplies, but in terms of design they are still the same as when I bought them 25 years ago. CD playback and speakers have changed but the new speakers are still of the same type, highly efficient monitors. While overall the system does have its limitations, to my ears there is no one area where it is severely limited in terms of what you described, to the extent that the limitation distracts from an overall enjoyment. Recent experiences with diverse other systems have not made me change my mind as to thinking that I should go another route, e.g., with larger speakers.

Further I agree with you that sweating the small stuff, as Peter A. describes it, cannot cure fundamental ills arising from not well suited components. Yet I also agree with Peter that sweating the small stuff is critical as well. Only when you do that, the inherent quality of the components/system can fully shine. Even worse, not paying attention to the small stuff you may end up with forever mediocre sound, no matter how much you change components and ruin your bank account along the way. For me sweating the small stuff mainly was on one hand choosing/positioning of acoustic treatment which also, critically, included carpets, and on the other hand listening position and speaker placement. The latter was performed to accuracy with a laser once I had the basic location figured out (Peter A. helped me a lot with fine-tuning).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Peter, Hi Bonzo
As I’ve mentioned previously, asymmetrical relationships in complex systems create asymmetries disproportionate to the initial value of investment.

Man, that system sucked.

Yes, I too like reading your posts. You remind me of Frank (fas42) a little; very similar line of thinking and experience.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Is there a market for professional turntable in-home setup engineers?
Because on our own even after over forty years of spinning albums on various turntables with various cartridges and performing all the adjustments and rituals how can we be absolutely certain that everything is optimized to its full potential?
I am very serious.

This is no small peanuts; the art of spinning records with all the optimal adjustments plus the optimal washing/cleaning the LPs plus the optimal maintenance of all those moving parts for optimal quality music reproduction fidelity plus the optimal quality LPs we purchase from the people who did a great job mastering and manufacturing them records and without flaws. There is another thread recently started talking about the quality record/LP manufacturers. This is a serious art, and quite complex with many stages to get to a final quality product. Even the best LP makers in the business admit to it. It's like there is no perfect album, it's almost impossible. Like there's no perfect compact disc; we all know that by now.

So, should we hire a pro to set up our turntables, tonearms, cartridges, belt tension, speed, isolation, tools needed to maintain the stylus and azimuth and tracking force and tangential horizontal and vertical angles and anti-skating and also the effective record cleaning machines that we can all afford?

Can a simple and humble TT setup that we perform ourselves outclass a CD player from the same financial value and without complications?

There is no question that listing to vinyl can be a much bigger commitment than is listening to digital. It depends on how involved one wants to be. There are many digital options and when I watched some of my friends try to configure their computer audio based systems, my head starts to spin because of all of the connections, filters, options. In that sense, perhaps the formats are similar. Once sorted out though, digital is easier, I think.

Yes, an analog expert can certainly help one with set up and fine tuning, but I strongly feel the user must know how to adjust things himself. Cartridges suspensions change over time. Some, like me, adjust VTA for each LP. The learning curve is long and constant.

I don't know about comparing analog to digital at various price points. That may be a long and complicated topic for another thread.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There is no question that listing to vinyl can be a much bigger commitment than is listening to digital. It depends on how involved one wants to be. There are many digital options and when I watched some of my friends try to configure their computer audio based systems, my head starts to spin because of all of the connections, filters, options. In that sense, perhaps the formats are similar. Once sorted out though, digital is easier, I think.

My head starts to spin too. Having observed all this drama close up I decided to just stick with my old-fashioned CD playback.

Yes, an analog expert can certainly help one with set up and fine tuning, but I strongly feel the user must know how to adjust things himself. Cartridges suspensions change over time. Some, like me, adjust VTA for each LP. The learning curve is long and constant.

While I don't spin vinyl myself, having observed the results of your fine-tuning, including for each recording, I agree. Just buying a turntable, having an expert set it up, and hoping that this set-up is optimal, and remains so over time, simply doesn't cut it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
When it comes to maximizing the potential of one's system, I think there is no substitute for experience and a willingness to learn by doing. I hired Jim Smith for his RoomPlay service on my system. I spend a day and a half watching, discussing, listening, and learning from him about how to position speakers, the listening seat and room treatments. It was a great experience.

I would also love to have a guy like Andre Jennings come over to set up a cartridge and learn more about that process from such an expert. It is important to learn from people who know more than you do. But that can only go so far because they leave, and then you are left with your system. Part of the fun, for me at least, is to tinker and to try to extract more performance without spending much money. It can be fun, and it can certainly be rewarding.

Upgrading components can also be a lot of fun. But it can be frustrating too, especially if one can not do a proper in system direct comparison before buying. We read many complaints about the merry-go-round process and how it often does not lead to longer term satisfaction. I often wonder if the most satisfied audiophiles are those who tend to collect vintage gear, modify it, and tinker away, trying to improve performance and musical enjoyment. And then, at some point, one must ask where does the music fit in? How much is it about the gear itself, the sound of the gear, or the music. Bruce Brown recently wrote in a post that the gear or system is simply a means or vehicle with which to get to the music. (paraphrasing)

In the end, there are many approaches one can take. The happiest audiophiles I know are ones who know their systems well, have a clear idea of a sonic reference point and what they want their systems to do, and are fairly active with sweating the small stuff to make improvements. They have a sense of direction, an awareness of why they are doing things, a willingness to learn and work at it, and they tend to only make changes in a deliberate and well reason way.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Peter, you are a record lover, you dedicated part of your life in the art of analog sound reproduction for your pleasurable hearing satisfaction, from a turntable.
You sent your cart to Japan to be rebuilt/realigned. Was this a substantial expenditure? In America do we have master cartridge builders and re-builders?
I am interested to know, in trying to assess the best options we have today in music reproduction @ home with the best efficiency, fun, love, accessibility to the music we love, rediscovering what we already have and the new LPs out there waiting to be discovered.

Is the journey permitting to discover more new music or optimize better the lesser we have?
Another serious question because we all have our music philosophies in life, and they get stronger with age. ...Or they alternate @ some stages of our musical evolution.
Share the music, the LPs you are spinning on your TT, that you are listening to and love, please.

Bob, good level analog is a commitment, both in time and in money. Sure, one can buy a turntable/arm/cartridge with built in phono for a few hundred dollars, some LPs at a used record bin and start to enjoy vinyl records. But to get to a higher level of sound quality, one needs to spend money and effort to learn how to do the things you mention: clean, store, set up, maintain, optimize, etc. It is far from easy and requires effort to get really good sound.

There are a few people who rebuild cartridges in the US. I do not have any experience with those businesses. I sent my fairly rare Japanese cartridge back to the manufacturer through the US distributor. It was expensive for the complete rebuild. Essentially, I got back a brand new cartridge in the old metal body and box. The cost is roughly 35-50% of the new cost of the cartridge.

There is not much new music available on vinyl, but depending on one's musical taste and collection, that may or may not be much of an issue.

Here is a list, arranged by genre, of the music which is right now in my listening room carried down from my LP storage in the third floor of my house:

pop/rock
Lorde, Pure Herioine
Black Sabbath, Paranoid
Led Zeppelin, II

Jazz
Carla White, Mood Swings
Melody Gordot, Worrisome Heart
Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass, Whipped Cream & Other Delights
Johhny Harman, Once in Every Life
Art Pepper, +Eleven
Duke Ellington and Ray Brown, This One's for Blanton
Ray Brown & L. Almeida, Moonlight Serenade
Sonny Rollins, Way Out West
Chet Baker, Chet

Classical
Bach/Starker, Suites for Unaccompanied Cello Complete
Mozart/Grumiax Trio, String Quintets, No. 1 in B flat, No. 2 in C minor
Vivaldi, Les Concertoes pour Mandolines
Tchaikovsky, Violin Concerto
Beethoven/Kamiya, "Appassionata", D2D 45rpm
Janaki String Trio, debut
Holst/Zubin Mehta, The Planets

I listen to a variety of music, and some of the LPs on that list serve as my long term references to gauge system improvement, which I'm in the process of doing now because of my cartridge break in. I am revisiting my VTA settings for individual LPs because this cartridge is so resolving, and has brought the overall level of my system up a notch, that I am finding a couple of the previous settings are a bit off. It is great fun to hear familiar recordings in new ways with new details.

It is precisely this, that prompted me to start this thread: small adjustments, requiring focused listening, effort and time, often result in big musical returns. One could argue that I just got a newly rebuilt cartridge and that alone elevated the sound of my system, but I think that the cartridge has prompted me to re explore previous assumptions about my particular vinyl playback, and by making new, minor changes, has resulted in greater system performance and musical enjoyment.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I was not saying it should be black and white, that the set up guy leaves and you never learn. Obviously you have to tinker away. I take it as a given that people will try to change the positioning of their speakers, the VTA, azimuth etc of their analog, and their EQ curve if they have one.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
853guy,

your post is very interesting, as is your first one on this thread. I agree that component selection remains critical. Fortunately, I have had to choose my basic set-up only once (after switching from a headphone system): CD playback going into Audio Innovations parallel push-pull triode monoblocks that drive highly efficient monitors, combined with a subwoofer. The amps have been heavily modified and supplemented with external power supplies, but in terms of design they are still the same as when I bought them 25 years ago. CD playback and speakers have changed but the new speakers are still of the same type, highly efficient monitors. While overall the system does have its limitations, to my ears there is no one area where it is severely limited in terms of what you described, to the extent that the limitation distracts from an overall enjoyment. Recent experiences with diverse other systems have not made me change my mind as to thinking that I should go another route, e.g., with larger speakers.

Further I agree with you that sweating the small stuff, as Peter A. describes it, cannot cure fundamental ills arising from not well suited components. Yet I also agree with Peter that sweating the small stuff is critical as well. Only when you do that, the inherent quality of the components/system can fully shine. Even worse, not paying attention to the small stuff you may end up with forever mediocre sound, no matter how much you change components and ruin your bank account along the way. For me sweating the small stuff mainly was on one hand choosing/positioning of acoustic treatment which also, critically, included carpets, and on the other hand listening position and speaker placement. The latter was performed to accuracy with a laser once I had the basic location figured out (Peter A. helped me a lot with fine-tuning).

NorthStar said:
Yes, I too like reading your posts. You remind me of Frank (fas42) a little; very similar line of thinking and experience.

Hi Al M, Hi NorthStar,

Part of my journey was coming to terms with what I can live with and what I can live without. The biggest lesson I’ve learned (and not just in system building) is you can’t build strength on weakness. If there’s no underlying strength to build upon, no amount of strategies will remedy it.

You can string a guitar with whatever strings you want, replace the pickups with hand-made purpose-scattered and distributed wound pickups, and have it set up by Robert Benedetto himself, but if the body and neck contain inherent weaknesses then you’ll only ever end up with a instrument in which the relationship of fundamentals to harmonics, its tonal balance and its attack and decay envelope is always incongruent.

Part of this process for me was being able to be honest enough with myself to acknowledge when something isn’t working. The next part is to discern (often with another set of ears) whether that’s through lack of proper set-up/alignment/fine-tuning or the component itself has an inherent weakness that no amount of expert knowledge or experience can overcome.

The digital rig that replaced the Naim had some very pronounced strengths. But no amount of fine-tuning, tweaking, power cable swapping or footering could ameliorate it’s weaknesses. In fact, a lot of the tweaking only lead to it tipping over from being quite acceptable but average to wholly unnatural and hi-fi-ish. I’m sure there are a few here who can relate to that, but, y’know it could just be me…

And there have definitely been times I’ve found myself praising a tweak or upgrade only to realise a little later that it moved the level of performance in a particular direction (focus, imaging) but without any improvement in any other area - in some cases, they moved backward. That is: it became more noticeable in-and-of-itself but had no discernible effect on the musical whole - that one thing just came more noticeable. It’s easy to perceive a change as better overall but part of sweating the small stuff is to be able to acknowledge to oneself when an improvement in one area comes at the expense of the whole - even in instances where the basic character of the components are relatively balanced between strengths and weaknesses.

However, I also acknowledge my preferences in music playback will not necessarily correspond to the preferences of others (ESL 57’s, LS3/5a’s, horns, R2R DACs, idlers, SETs, etc - in fact, when it comes to those things in particular there are many who loathe them). I’m very much a whole is greater than the sum of its parts type person. I know many who prefer all the parts to be individuated out from one another at the expense of the whole. I’m willing to live without many of things other consider essential.

Nevertheless, I completely agree with you that not sweating the small stuff is to miss the opportunity for gains that would otherwise remain only partially realised. And again, I absolutely believe the hi-fi system to be a complex system of interdependencies, and that because of it, exploitation of inherent asymmetries can reap disproportionate gains - especially in areas in which the relationship between variables has a heavily-weighted asymmetry (cartridge/tonearm set up). However, my own experience is that it’s easy to take something that’s already great and tip it over into territory that’s simply too much of a good thing. Perfect is very often the enemy of good.

PeterA said:
When it comes to maximizing the potential of one's system, I think there is no substitute for experience and a willingness to learn by doing. I hired Jim Smith for his RoomPlay service on my system. I spend a day and a half watching, discussing, listening, and learning from him about how to position speakers, the listening seat and room treatments. It was a great experience.

I would also love to have a guy like Andre Jennings come over to set up a cartridge and learn more about that process from such an expert. It is important to learn from people who know more than you do. But that can only go so far because they leave, and then you are left with your system. Part of the fun, for me at least, is to tinker and to try to extract more performance without spending much money. It can be fun, and it can certainly be rewarding.

Upgrading components can also be a lot of fun. But it can be frustrating too, especially if one can not do a proper in system direct comparison before buying. We read many complaints about the merry-go-round process and how it often does not lead to longer term satisfaction. I often wonder if the most satisfied audiophiles are those who tend to collect vintage gear, modify it, and tinker away, trying to improve performance and musical enjoyment. And then, at some point, one must ask where does the music fit in? How much is it about the gear itself, the sound of the gear, or the music. Bruce Brown recently wrote in a post that the gear or system is simply a means or vehicle with which to get to the music. (paraphrasing)

In the end, there are many approaches one can take. The happiest audiophiles I know are ones who know their systems well, have a clear idea of a sonic reference point and what they want their systems to do, and are fairly active with sweating the small stuff to make improvements. They have a sense of direction, an awareness of why they are doing things, a willingness to learn and work at it, and they tend to only make changes in a deliberate and well reason way.

I very much agree, Peter. The only thing I would add is to the bolded portion of your statement is a willingness to acknowledge our mistakes and learn from them. In hi-fi, as in life, I've had to do that many time over, and being a father and husband, will no doubt have to do so again in the very near future.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In fact, on the bolded part, sometimes I think audiophiles know their systems so well that it becomes their reference system, and restricts them from seeing other alternatives, and their well laid out plans become an ideology they try not to sway from. Just expounding on what 853 said more euphemistically

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When it comes to maximizing the potential of one's system, I think there is no substitute for experience and a willingness to learn by doing. ...

Upgrading components can also be a lot of fun. But it can be frustrating too, especially if one can not do a proper in system direct comparison before buying. We read many complaints about the merry-go-round process and how it often does not lead to longer term satisfaction....

Totally agree. For me, it takes a lot of:
- listening (and repeatedly getting away from the home reference...and learning by listening to other SOTA systems) to figure out what i like/what goals i have and how other people may have done it.
- listening to equipment that i am contemplating buying to ensure the piece i am getting hits those goals.
- committed time to dial in it into the system once installed...isolation, grounding, emi/rfi, power cables, etc...

But done this way for me, i have been fortunate never to do the merry go round thing. Buy once, be done for a long while.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing