Ayon amplifiers

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi All,
What are your impressions on Ayon Amplifiers? Specifically the SETs based on the 62B and 82B triodes?
Cheers

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I believe user Marslo has one. PM him.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi All,
What are your impressions on Ayon Amplifiers? Specifically the SETs based on the 62B and 82B triodes?
Cheers

Yes, I have a Crossfire amp. 30 watts of single-ended power. I have used it with several speakers with excellent results: Devore 0/96, Vivid G4, and Sound Kaos Wave 40. It has all the famed single-ended characteristics with a notable full and powerful bass response.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi All,
Cheers

I have Ayon Crossfire since 2010 when I changed my speakers from JM Lab Electra 1037 be to Duo Omega G2.
I owned all 3 iterations of Crossfire , IMO it's close to perfection match with AG speakers.
I tried many ss and valve designs and I am of the the opinion that AG sounds best with SET amplification.
Crossfire gives no typical valve sound - it's fast ,dynamic with holographic sound stage and very colorful bass.
The bass is of course a bit less controlled than with ss amps ( like XA series from AG ) but with much more colours and saturation. Compared to that, ss designs produce better controlled deep bass but it is washed to me.

And it has punch and power - plays louder than 100 -150 W ss designs, as loud as for example ARC ref 150 power amp , as far as I remember. Cons ? With efficient speakers it's always a little bit of hum , when you approach the ear to mid horn is audible. Here XA pre/power combo from AG has the edge.

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I have Ayon Crossfire since 2010 when I changed my speakers from JM Lab Electra 1037 be to Duo Omega G2.
I owned all 3 iterations of Crossfire , IMO it's close to perfection match with AG speakers.
I tried many ss and valve designs and I am of the the opinion that AG sounds best with SET amplification.
Crossfire gives no typical valve sound - it's fast ,dynamic with holographic sound stage and very colorful bass.
The bass is of course a bit less controlled than with ss amps ( like XA series from AG ) but with much more colours and saturation. Compared to that, ss designs produce better controlled deep bass but it is washed to me.

And it has punch and power - plays louder than 100 -150 W ss designs, as loud as for example ARC ref 150 power amp , as far as I remember. Cons ? With efficient speakers it's always a little bit of hum , when you approach the ear to mid horn is audible. Here XA pre/power combo from AG has the edge.

Agree on all points. Every Ayon amplifier that I have heard was superb sonically. Probably my favorite tube amplifiers. I may get a set of the mono-blocks.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Agree on all points. Every Ayon amplifier that I have heard was superb sonically. Probably my favorite tube amplifiers. I may get a set of the mono-blocks.

I am pleased you agree with my opinion, I am looking forward to hear about your impressions when you get monoblocks.
Would you get Crossfire Evo or rather Titan/Vulcan series?

rgds,
Mariusz

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Have heard them quite a few times and they typically have very good setups. Always very natural sound and very quiet for SET's. One of my preferred amplifier brands in the SET category

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing