Palawan, El Nido With Jack And Margie Duavit-The Rest Of The Story

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great photos Steve - a pity teletransportation is still a dream.

BTW, the best and definitive portuguese egg tart is the Pastel de Belem - every time we went to Lisbon we had to go there to have a coffee and a pastel de Belém (and an extra packet for home use!) http://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/

Last time I was there they were artisanally making 7 million "pasteis" per year, using their secret receipt.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 214
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 217

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Great photos Steve - a pity teletransportation is still a dream.

BTW, the best and definitive portuguese egg tart is the Pastel de Belem - every time we went to Lisbon we had to go there to have a coffee and a pastel de Belém (and an extra packet for home use!) http://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/

Last time I was there they were artisanally making 7 million "pasteis" per year, using their secret receipt.

We flew Cathay Pacific and they were giving us those as treats on the plane. They were very good

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
You are a terrific story teller Steve. The next time you visit Hong Kong, plan a dinner at the peak. The night view there was voted as the second best in the world. The best being Naples and third place going to Hakodate. You are very healthy and adventurous at your age given the very hectic schedule and very physical activities you went through in such humid conditions. The last time I was in Lagen El Nido was 16 years ago. My fondest memory was of the big lagoon and the small lagoon. The waters were pristine at a very comfortable 26 degrees celcius. If not for the fear of extreme sunburn, I would have stayed there the entire day. Stay healthy Steve and Cathy. I truly hope you will visit us again.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Yes Steve, the lagoons were so beautiful they were my fondest memory of El Nido. I will spend all my time there when I visit El Nido again. I recall one of my friends told me El Nido confirmed to him that God exists.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
View attachment 28571

someone who understands Chinese needs to tell me what this sign means that we saw :confused:

Steve,

The green board says what the English translation says. Trash or Litter / Recyclable Bins. Apparently they use old English words like cum, which from Wiki means, "An English linking word, derived from the Latin word for 'with.' It is used in many place names in England as well as in everyday English - e.g. Prestwich-cum-Oldham". In this case, the cum stands for the / sign. :)

Below are 3 bins for segregation purposes. Left most is litter, then paper, then bottles and cans.

Steve Williams

Steve,

The green board says what the English translation says. Trash or Litter / Recyclable Bins. Apparently they use old English words like cum, which from Wiki means, "An English linking word, derived from the Latin word for 'with.' It is used in many place names in England as well as in everyday English - e.g. Prestwich-cum-Oldham". In this case, the cum stands for the / sign. :)

Below are 3 bins for segregation purposes. Left most is litter, then paper, then bottles and cans.

And you even said it with a straight face ;)

You're great Phil

NBA starts soon and we will all be meeting over in that part of WBF

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And you even said it with a straight face ;)

You're great Phil

NBA starts soon and we will all be meeting over in that part of WBF

I'm excited for the start of the NBA I'd like to step into the parquet floor. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sunday came all too quickly and as it was time to leave the weather changed very quickly. Once again we were taken from Lagen Island back to El Nido air strip to await our 4:00 departure

Again life jackets, rain coats and towels were given to us as we took a power boat across hoping to beat the storm. No such luck. It rained as hard as it did in Manila and Hong Hong. I felt we were on Noah's Ark. We got drenched in spite of everything.

My phobia is just that, inside a small power boat with strong waves wherein I don't see land 360 degrees around me. 12 years ago was my last ride in such conditions and I don't intend to be in one again. At least Noah's Ark was huge. :D

Steve Williams

My phobia is just that, inside a small power boat with strong waves wherein I don't see land 360 degrees around me. 12 years ago was my last ride in such conditions and I don't intend to be in one again. At least Noah's Ark was huge. :D

I can hear my wife laughing to that one Philip ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Plan a trip to SoCal and stay with Cathy and I when the Celtics are in town to play the Lakers and we will get tickets

That's a great idea, Steve. Will keep that in mind. :) The Lakers look better now, but the Celtics look even better. :D

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you for that, stunning pictures, I lot prettier than I thought it would be.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Mahalo for the great story and pictures.

Did the heavy rains cause the water in Palawan and El Nido to look so green/brown and cloudy?

Having traveled to many of the top resorts, it doesn't look like the "Best Island in the World."

Last edited:

jimmy

Oct 30, 2010
Some Final Thoughts

But for the love of audio and for WBF where a strong and thriving audio community has gathered I found myself lucky to have made so many great friends, all coming as a result of our love for audio. This trip showed me that great audio is available everywhere regardless of the power grid or the country. Visiting the Hong Kong Audio Show proved to me that not only is audio alive and well there but the high end is on a level beyond where most of us in the USA are.

Without the friendship of our Philippine community at WBF I would never have been able to have had such a rewarding time

Once again I tip my hat to
Philip (jadis)
Mullard88 (Sam)
Dafos (jerry)
Nephilim (Keith)

and so many other of Jack's friends who welcomed Cathy and I with open arms

A very special thank you to Jim Duavit who proved to me what dreams can be made of in the uber high end of this hobby. I feel that after all my years in this hobby I heard a system that for the rest of my life will always be my Reference against which anything else in this hobby will be judged. Jim proved to me that the room is paramount in the overall quest for reality. I have never had a 9 hour listening session anywhere including my own system and still feel that I could listen all day. Thank you Jim and Rosanna for all of your kindness and hospitality

And finally, a little drum roll please............

To Jack and Margie Duavit to whom this trip was so great, we love you guys for everything that you did for us. You are two wonderful people. Oh BTW, I forgot to mention that Jack was elected once again to the Philippine Congress in the district where he served (and termed out) before. Your plates are full with 3 young and beautiful children along with all of the duties that this requires. You prove to be excellent role models for your children and yet all of you have such a strong sense of family, friends and church that others around you can only stand and take notice of all of the wonderful things that you do to enrich people's lives.

Hanggang sa muli nating pagkikita

And now you know the rest of the story!!

You're very welcome, Steve, always! Thank you very much again for your long anticipated visit, the great time shared together, and for your very kind words for us and the system. Very deeply appreciated, my friend.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip (despite the weather!) and hope you and Cathy come back to visit us again sometime soon. The nine hours here at the house and the few hours together at Jack's was hardly enough. Yes, friendship and fellowship is definitely at the center of the enjoyment of our hobby. The proverbial icing on the cake, my friend!

My very best to you and Cathy, Steve. We look forward to the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Jim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mahalo for the great story and pictures.

Did the heavy rains cause the water in Palawan and El Nido to look so green/brown and cloudy?

Having traveled to many of the top resorts, it doesn't look like the "Best Island in the World."

It was more that it was very overcast. In sunlight the water is crystal clear and the hues change depending on the depth of the water.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
On post #55, Lagen Island is not the attraction. Lagen Island is for accommodation and eating under a roofed structure and is one of the gateways to the attraction which is the area in front of it. One does not explore the island. But one takes a boat and is brought to the attractions around the sea in front of the island. This is an adventure exploratory activity. One goes island hopping selecting an uninhabitted beach for a private picnic, one can view sand that has accumulated to create a sand bar, one can go caving in an island that has a cave, there is a stretch of sea that looks like a walk down a church aisle and if a couple desires to get married there, the staff will float candles to define a pathway for the couple to paddle their kayak through, etc. There is a lot to view. I was there for 3 days and I know I did not see them all.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

Having read many of your threads during the past years and many conversations, there is no doubt that has been your best travelogue yet. I was wonderful to live vicariously through your
amazing vacation and audio soiree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing