Palawan, El Nido With Jack And Margie Duavit-The Rest Of The Story

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The rest of the story actually started within hours of our arrival in Hong Kong. We arrived at 0630 to torrential rain having just missed the monsoon the night before. We had never been to this part of the world and after virtually no sleep for the previous 24 hours my wife was at the concierge desk at the hotel by 0800 asking where we should start some sight seeing. The "peak" was suggested for a fabulous view of Hong Kong. It was advised we take the tram up the hill and a taxi down afterwards. As a result there we were at the Peak by 9:00 AM taking photos through dark skies and occasional showers. within the hour we decided to take a taxi down the hill and go shopping where the concierge had suggested. It became evident that the taxi drivers are a different breed and drive like lunatics. Coming down the hill I felt we were in free fall and before i Knew it I heard our driver pounding on his horn only to see another taxi coming down a parallel road to our left was also pounding on his horn as he attempted to make an illegal left turn in front of us. Neither was yielding and it was a game of chicken. We both lost as the guy veered in front of us and made the illegal turn only to have us broad side him at about 35-40 miles an hour. So here we were in Hong Kong for 2 hours and in an auto accident.

Some views from the Peak...

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

Steve Williams

Apart from some serious rain that was our first day experience although we did meet up with Philip that evening in the hotel.

The following day we met up with Joe and Joy Lavrencik (Critical Mass Systems) and took the Star Ferry to Kowloon where we toured for several hours and hung out at the Peninsula Hotel and I saw my first BMW i8

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

Steve Williams

Saturday we played absent from the show as Jack and Keith (nephilim) suggested we take a hydro foil from Hong Kong to Macao and tour the Las Vegas of the Far East as well as the old Portuguese Village there. What a fun one hour boat ride. That thing could really move

I can honestly say that that day in Macao at the Portuguese village was the hottest and most humid day of any day I have spent on this planet. Climbing those stairs in that humidity, we were all drenched in sweat to the point of absolute discomfort. Jack took us through the market where they were making fresh jerky as well as other small things that the local merchants were sampling. Some terrific photos before we took a taxi to the Venetian Hotel which IMO looked bigger than the one in Las Vegas. The picture shown below with the cannon looking towards the large structure is the largest hotel for gambling. Its name escapes me......

Steve Williams

Took the Airport Express from Hong Kong to the airport but found our flight to be an hour delayed as well as an hour late to land in Manila due to ground traffic. Finally landed and got to Jack's beautiful home just before 10:00 and met his wonderful kids before we descended downstairs to a first night of listening. At about midnight Marge returned home from her weekend away with her girl friends. Marge came into the room and greeted me with a warm hug and embrace and not only made me feel instantly at come but also made me feel that we had been friends for ever. What a gracious and wonderful person was my first thought and boy was I right as we got to know one another over the next week

I asked Jack that evening "how did you get so lucky with such a wonderful and beautiful lady"

Steve Williams

Over the next few days not only did I hear five fabulous sound systems I felt totally immersed in the culture and got to dine on some fabulous Asian cuisine.

The diamond in the rough however and the biggest kept secret is that our friend Jack is a Master Chef as he proved to us on Thursday evening when he and Marge hosted a huge dinner party for 20 people and it was Jack who did the entire menu as well as all of the cooking. Jack had a 7 Kgm boneless rib roast that he himself aged and dried in his refrigerator for 7 days before the event. I watched Jack meticulously prepare every dish that we ate as he smiled throughout and was truly in his element. I can see that when Jack gets involved with anything he always totally immerses himself it until he emerges as an expert. Jack is truly an expert as the dinner was as good as anything we had eaten. The prime rib was 5 star in my book. His pasta was home made and served with a salmon done sous vide and a salad was also carefully crafted. Everything came together at the proper time and Jack pulled off a memorable dinner for a huge crowd. It was also a privilege that evening to meet so many of his friends and their wives but the biggest honor was to meet "papa" the patriarch of the Duavit family. When papa walked into the room everyone gave him their undivided attention and showered him with love and respect from children to their spouses and grand children and friends. Papa was the star. He was engaging , witty and just plain fun to talk to but it was evident to me and everyone there that he was center stage as everyone showed him unconditional love. He had some funny things to say to me and it was an honor to meet the man and to learn his wonderful story

Steve Williams

Speaking of meals :) how could I forget yet another spectacular meal we had at Jim's house on Tuesday evening. It was difficult to tear me away from Jim's adjacent listening room but when they did the meal was fabulous. Thank you so much Jim and Rosanna

IMG_0193.jpg

Steve Williams

One morning before hearing some music we had breakfast at Jack's golf club and watched him on the driving range getting a few lessons from the club pro

Suffice it to say after watching Jack hit drives beyond my field of vision I can honestly say that Jack could give lessons in golf. As I said before that whenever Jack gets involved with something he masters it to perfection.

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

Steve Williams

So here we are now on the way to Palawan early on the Friday morning to catch an 0630 flight. We were up before 0400 and poor Jack had been up after his dinner cleaning up and didn't get to sleep until after 0130 only to be up before 0400. As usual he descended the stairs with his usual smile on his face and ready to go. When the trip was planned a year in advance Jack had suggested this small weekend get away to Palawan. The name was familiar to me and I was uncertain why until Margie told us that Palawan was the location for a recent season of the reality show Survivor. Plan however is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful islands in the world and the one to which we were headed was Lagen Island with its huge 150' tall limestone cliffs. We weren't disappointed. The weather was always the big concern. In fact more torrential rains were anticipated and the resort had called Margie offering to cancel and reschedule for us but with the thought that this was our only chance at seeing Palawan we decided to forge on and keep the reservation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...-World-SECOND-year-running.html?ITO=applenews

The flight was a small turbo prop plane and lasted just under one hour before the islands came into view. What a beautiful site. Before you know it we had landed on an airstrip beside which was a grazing water buffalo. It was that rustic. Shortly afterward we on a boat headed for Lagen Island yet another 45 minute boat ride. When I was told we had to take a boat to get to Lagen I had expected a covered boat that was sturdy and yu could walk around the deck. Wrong!!. The boat was a narrow power boat with balancing struts coming off each side. We were given rain coats and life jackets and told to hang on. Shortly however Lagen island came into view and it was like Paradise Lost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing