What's Your Favorite Santana Album?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Tough call. I love Santana and Abraxas equally. Was very lucky to see them at Bethel Woods (site of the original Woodstock festival) for the 45th anniversary of Woodstock.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Yes, many are great, but this one is the best (listen to his guitar) and dance, dance to the moonlight till no end:

So, anyone who disagrees? :b

Awesome! The flamenco guitar just leaps out of my JBL's on my desktop, and Lila Downs voice is so smooth. Make sure you check out the live version of "Una Noche en Napoles" on youtube, WOW!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For me, Abraxas, no contest.

If someone know nothing about Santana (eg.; a new young generation cool dude), Abraxas is the number one album to start his Santana high climbing musical journey, one hundred percent no doubt.

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Love Santana's music. Had a bad Santana experience though - we booked him to play at my college way back when and I was working student security for the show.

Let's just say he never made it to the stage that night due to an issue beyond our control

I met Santana but he was unresponsive at the time. Funny now, wasn't at the time.

I did see him actually perform one time at San Diego State. It was a great show.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Inner Secrets - guitar solo's on Well All Right and Open Invitation are out of this world. the extended versions of One Chain on the US vinyl version is pretty funky as well.

Have a soft spot for Havana Moon as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I wanted to go to a Santana concert after reading these posts so I did the next best thing and went to quello.com. Fired up my Auro 3D immersive mode on my Marantz 7702 and BAM:

https://qello.com/concert/Greatest-Hits-Live-at-Montreux-2011-4247

I was SHOCKED when I recognized the drummer and the conga player from the movie I watched on Netflix last week, A Drummer's Dream.

That was a very cool link, thx! :cool: ...Very cool site. ...And you have Auro-Matic ? ! ...That very :cool: too.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
That was a very cool link, thx! :cool: ...Very cool site. ...And you have Auro-Matic ? ! ...That very :cool: too.

Thanks, that site is such a bargain. For traditional redbook CD's two channel is fine but when you play live recordings immersive audio is SO much closer to the concert experience. I find DTS- NeoX to work excellent if you don't have Auro 3D. That is the older version of DTS-X and with two height channels + two wide channels in addition to the traditional 5.1 or 7.1 it sounds great too.

For me, Abraxas, no contest.

6b3d8608c15edb886d1e97e9f224de44.jpg

Steve,

I concur with your selection. Abraxas is also my favourite Santana album, ever since it was first released. I actually listen to this every year. I still have my original UK pressing, along with a Speaker's Corner reissue etc. Also have the various CDs, SACD...

BTW, I don't know if you got a chance to hear the MoFi One Step 45RPM TP of Abraxas either at AXPONA or Newport. It is absolutely stunning and a HUGE improvement over the regular 33RPM LP. Both at AXPONA & Newport the audience clapped at the end of Side 1. Considerably lower noise floor, more detail.
My only regret is that I have to return the TP this afternoon. Sigh ! Album is probably going to be released in three months time & will be a severely limited edition. I ordered my copy from Music Direct two months ago. No idea as to pricing yet. Expect it to be more expensive than usual, as less copies can be made.

Ciao,
Philip

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
My favorite Santana albums are any of the ones that had Mike Shrieve on drums. He is my favorite drummer.

Santana
Abraxas
Santana III
Caravanserai
Welcome
Borboletta

Best,
Ken

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Northstar, what's the sound quality level via Quello?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I listen to Abraxas (fav) and the original album on 15ips tape at least once a week.....mind bending.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
a rundown that comes at a most opportune time getting adquainted with IV

glad that they included "bella"

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Just spun a recently acquired KC30130 dead wax PAL 30130 1E / PBL 30130 1D Abraxas complete with original poster and Time Magazine sticker over the naughty bits for $4.
The dead wax on 1E has an A scribbled out between the 1 and the E.
The vinyl is NM and will be resting on the table for a bit, only coming off to be turned over, pleasantly blown away! :):p:cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Northstar, what's the sound quality level via Quello?

Sorry I missed your post from a while back.

On my end here, only from my laptop's picture and sound quality, I was very pleasantly surprised; it reminded me of some of my best Blu-ray Music concerts in hi-def picture and with lossless uncompressed hi-res audio.
Pretty awesome ? https://qello.com/concert/Greatest-Hits-Live-at-Montreux-2011-4247

* I didn't connect the HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV and surround sound system though...that should work great if no sync issue.

And the Blu is on sale now ($13.39 @ amazon).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing