awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i think i have convinced my wife on sq5

the q7 is to heavy for me to move :(

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have heard both in the same dealer room but with different electronics and source. I thought the Q5 was a little bit more transparent, lower in distortion, and tonally neutral. The S7 was very smooth sounding, a bit warmer and had great depth, but it was played with the Ssubs in the front of the room which helped. They are both superb speakers and the S7 has the new tweeter which is excellent. It would be a tough choice. I would wait until revisions are made to the Q line, though I fear these speakers will be extremely expensive. The Q is built to a higher standard, better cabinets and parts. The S7 actually vibrated quite a bit. The Q1,3,5,and 7 have all been extremely inert with almost zero detectible cabinet vibration.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Seriously though. I would take the S7 any day of the week. Not only are they easier to drive (OK, I haven't seen S7 measurements yet, but nothing can be tougher to drive than the Q5 ...), have more advanced tweeter and midrange drivers, but also they are more natural sounding to my ears.

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Seriously though. I would take the S7 any day of the week. Not only are they easier to drive (OK, I haven't seen S7 measurements yet, but nothing can be tougher to drive then the Q5 ...), have more advanced tweeter and midrange drivers, but also they are more natural sounding to my ears.

I tend to agree, I don’t remember the Q5 to be so amazing as the S7, although I have to admit I hard it before I “got” the Magico sound.
I have heard the S7 now few times and was blown away every time. Very impressive and unfortunately much better then my S5 :(

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Upgrade to the S5 mk 2 as I did.

S5 mk 2 = S7 minus one of the woofers

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I am sure it will not be that simple… 33% more bass output can change the entire proposition, and that is what I really liked on the S7, the bass (well, the top end was so good).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing