Apple error 53 scam

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW if you buy Apple Care with your purchase a screen change is $70
What? They charge you $70 even if you have apple care? With that kind of care, I shutter to think what apple hate means. :D

I bought Apple Care for my Macbook under the impression that repairs would be free. Need to go back and read the terms :(.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What? They charge you $70 even if you have apple care? With that kind of care, I shutter to think what apple hate means. :D

I bought Apple Care for my Macbook under the impression that repairs would be free. Need to go back and read the terms :(.

You don't understand Apple culture. You get royally screwed and feel really cool about it. Marketing genius. Remember Mac dude / Microsoft dude ad? I fondly remember paying $50 for a 0.25c cable back in the good old days.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
We once drove a car over it. In this case, I was actually impressed it was just a cracked screen and the phone was still usable.
Was it still in Someone's hand.
Never know with this many busted screens ;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Was it still in Someone's hand.
Never know with this many busted screens ;)

Getting to the point of being able to say without guilt "Apple sucks and I hate them" is a long and difficult process, because it it is the uncoolest thing. Some people need to attend 12 step recovery programs for years to get Apple addiction out of their system completely. Cold turkey is almost impossible as withdrawal symptoms are so severe.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, it's a sign that Apple "got there" once people start bitching about random stuff... I know I'm going to risk being called a zealot, but here goes my experience with Apple products...

I've had iPhones since the very first one, and not a single cracked screen. Not a single one. And I'm not a fan of bumper cases, so I hardly ever used one. First model that *requires* a case, IMHO, is the latest 6, because of the rounded design, with no grip. So I use the leather-y case. I've dropped mine (a 6 Plus) from various heights, the case looks like sh*t now actually, but the phone is still going strong. I think I have it for more than a year now, and the battery still lasts more than a day, with mild use (Internet/calls).

I've had one issue with an iPhone 5. I was on the plane, on my way to the US, when the Home button stopped working, for no reason. I didn't drop it, it just stopped working. Took it to an Apple store in NYC, and walked out with a new one, no questions asked, in 10 minutes flat.

My wife dropped hers on a puddle of water. We switched it off, left it out to dry, and turn it on again. Everything seemed to work OK except the microphone, so we took it to Apple. We got offered a new one for something like $80, since we didn't have Apple Care.

Also, my brother in law jumped in the pool (to save a drowning kid), and forgot he had his iPhone in his pocket. Massive damage. Same thing, called Apple, paid a small fee, and 3 days later had a brand new one.

A friend, who always had Windows PCs and Samsung junk, bought a brand new, top of the line, plastic-y junk from Samsung. Within 3 days, it had more scratches than my iPhone has now after a year. And within a week, the screen was cracked.

And this is just with iPhone. I've had a number of pleasant experiences with Macs as well, so I honestly don't see what the issue with Apple is. I do agree that they were overzealous with the error 53 thing, as they could've just disabled the TouchID functionality and be done with it, as they did prior to iOS 9. That's what they get for trying to control what cannot be controlled...

cheers,
alex

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
as I said I love my Apple stock

walk into an Apple store at any mall and it is always packed but walk further down the same shopping center into the Microsoft store and you can hear a pin drop until someone walks in as it is so empty. Must be all those cracked screens I guess on the iPhone ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A friend, who always had Windows PCs and Samsung junk, bought a brand new, top of the line, plastic-y junk from Samsung. Within 3 days, it had more scratches than my iPhone has now after a year. And within a week, the screen was cracked.
Hey, hey, hey! Where did that jab come from to Windows PCs! :D

But since you brought it up, as I mentioned my son's work requires Mac universe. So we bought him a top of the line Macbook ($2,500 at the time). My chief designer who is an apple devotee said to absolutely get Apple Care because they do break and the repair cost is astronomical. Well he was right, a year or so into ownership, the system board died and had to be repaired. My chief designer's Mac keyboard broke right after the Apple Care expired and just like he said, the repair cost was insanely high.

I have had two laptops in the last 7-8 years. First one was a Sony. I dropped that in every possible way from shoulder height onto concrete. It chipped it hear and there but nothing broke in it. Nothing. It kept going. I now have an HP laptop. I have dropped that thing more ways than I can count. Not one scratch is on the thing!

I now own a Macbook. I bought the Apple Care with it so we will see how it goes. I must say the buying experience at Apple store other than the wait was exceptional. i was not made fun of for being a Windows guy in the least and the attitude of the salesperson was a million times better than what goes on in a retail store to buy Windows machines (have not bought anything at Microsoft store). So kudos on that.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
walk into an Apple store at any mall and it is always packed but walk further down the same shopping center into the Microsoft store and you can hear a pin drop until someone walks in as it is so empty. Must be all those cracked screens I guess on the iPhone ;)
I don't like the Microsoft store and have not bought anything there. But in our malls they are just as crowded as Apple. Since they have gaming in there, it always attracts kids that go there to play. You must live in a senior citizen type of place for it to be empty. :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just dropped my iPhone 6 two days ago. Shattered screen. First time. But the phone still works, so I'm hesitating to replace it because of the time/hassle involved. I can't stand the cases because they ruin the sleek and very cool industrial design and they add bulk which may be too much for my pocket. The 6 is too smooth and slippery, though and I have had to be very careful not to drop it more often. I actually miss my flip phones because of the ergonomics and I don't really like putting a sheet of glass up to my ear/cheek. It is not comfortable. Apple is what it is. I do like my Apple computer.

Lots of choices. Apple/Microsoft, tubes/SS, digital/analog. Sail/motor. We are all very fortunate.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Amir,

That wasn't a jab, just a qualification of the person in question! The "junk" was left to the Samsung stuff, not necessarily Windows PCs :) This friend now has a MacBook Pro for more than a year now, and that particular Mac was actually mine, and I've used heavily for two years prior to him getting it.

I like to say computing is not an exact science. Stuff will fail. It's what happens, and how you're treated, that truly counts. And as I've said, and you corroborated, the Apple experience is top notch. And Consumer Reports agree with me too:

Consumer Reports survey ranks Apple top for tech support among PC makers
http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/29/consumer-reports-survey-apple-tech-support/

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don't like the Microsoft store and have not bought anything there. But in our malls they are just as crowded as Apple. Since they have gaming in there, it always attracts kids that go there to play. You must live in a senior citizen type of place for it to be empty. :D

right

One of the most affluent malls in the USA and the second busiest in the country. The store is dead every day. It's paces from the Apple store.

I love my Apple stock.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Peter, eventually you are going to have to replace the screen or you will be getting glass ships in your fingers! May want to put one of those screen protectors on it just to keep the pieces mostly in place.

I just dropped my iPhone 6 two days ago. Shattered screen. First time. But the phone still works, so I'm hesitating to replace it because of the time/hassle involved. I can't stand the cases because they ruin the sleek and very cool industrial design and they add bulk which may be too much for my pocket. The 6 is too smooth and slippery, though and I have had to be very careful not to drop it more often. I actually miss my flip phones because of the ergonomics and I don't really like putting a sheet of glass up to my ear/cheek. It is not comfortable. Apple is what it is. I do like my Apple computer.

Lots of choices. Apple/Microsoft, tubes/SS, digital/analog. Sail/motor. We are all very fortunate.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
right

One of the most affluent malls in the USA and the second busiest in the country. The store is dead every day. It's paces from the Apple store.
That's because you go there during senior citizen exercise hour. If you go when the schools are closed then it is a different matter altogether as this video of the store near you clearly shows:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Windows Vista. Now there's an accomplishment for Microsoft. Truly memorable indeed
Well said Steve. Another great thing Microsoft did was hire this guy to design their stores:

Jealousy runs deep in Apple fans so no doubt there will be some snide remarks about how this guy is dressed missing the genius he has in recognizing excellence in electronic store design.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing