The WBF humor and joke thread.

13394983_275334532820883_1234465804_n.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/obsessed-audioph...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The joke isn't in that audiophiles want cleaner power by using their own private power poles and transformers in Japan. The joke is in the comments. Some of them had me in stitches.

a decent $500-1000 Yamaha receiver (or your brand of choice) and a good set (again $500-1000) set of speakers and a $300 sub with 12 gauge speaker wire is going to be indistinguishable in quality given the same source component for a $30k system with magic cryogenic cables when tested double blind.

Indistinguishable huh?

Audiophiles are weird people. They literally think that by sinking thousands upon thousands of dollars into high end equipment, they can hear things that aren’t there.

Close but no cigar. We pay thousands to NOT hear what you didn't know was there until it was gone. Nice try though.

I’m quitting my job, flying to Japan and starting a new business selling audiophile grade poles. Made from the finest bamboozle wood. Hand rubbed with aged snake oil. Carved using the beak of a 3 day old cockatrice. Act now and receive a supply of harmonically tuned high resolution dirt to plant the pole in. All this for the low low price of ¥75871125. Quantities are limited. Operators are standing by. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to grab my pole.

No thanks, you can keep your pole to yourself.

A custom-made ear molds made of gold! Ear wax doesn’t have same thickness and it distorts sound. These audiophiles need to line their ears with gold so they can hear only the purest sound that their audio system can generate.

Wouldn't that just give a different surface for the wax to build up on? Ah, some people.....

Tom

Japan has next to no zoning. A house may be next to be business with lots of power hungry/noisy gear. So such a pole may have value there that it doesn't here.

That said, they are still wasting their money. Big time. What matters is not the pole next to your house but *how* the power is produced. Hydro generated power is best. Nuclear is next best (too many idle isotopes) and coal is (naturally) worse. Put up all the poles you want, buy all the fancy gears you can buy, it won't do you any good if the power comes to you polluted at the source. This is why we have the best sound in the pacific northwest. You should change your address if you want the best sound....

All my utilities are under ground.

I can't even imagine what it would cost to get my own underground "pole" and transformer.

It would probably be cheaper to get a 50KW natural gas generator and be off the grid completely.

14022109_909729445839216_7249688505369663424_n.jpg

All my utilities are under ground.

I can't even imagine what it would cost to get my own underground "pole" and transformer.

It would probably be cheaper to get a 50KW natural gas generator and be off the grid completely.

Depends on where you live Gary, in many residential areas the cost is less than what you'd pay for some power cords.

david

There are a few of these re-writes of the original article floating around each with it's own agenda. This one looks like it wants to ridicule audiophiles. Here's a link to the small section of the original interview. Don't understand why the notion of getting clean power from the source is sneered at by some, what's the cost of a pole compared to the insane amounts paid for mystery boxes and power cords in halloween costumes. Usually the cost of transformer is borne by the power company, the additional cost of a pole or hook up is negligible and it's a single, most effective upgrade for any high end system.

Here's the link to original Japanese video interview, very interesting systems.

david

http://gizmodo.com/obsessed-audioph...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The joke isn't in that audiophiles want cleaner power by using their own private power poles and transformers in Japan. The joke is in the comments. Some of them had me in stitches.

Indistinguishable huh?

Close but no cigar. We pay thousands to NOT hear what you didn't know was there until it was gone. Nice try though.

No thanks, you can keep your pole to yourself.

Wouldn't that just give a different surface for the wax to build up on? Ah, some people.....

Tom

Last edited:
Hello, David and good afternoon to you. I can agree. In case you missed it, I did mention;

The joke isn't in that audiophiles want cleaner power.....<snip>

I didn't see the WSJ article until it was posted here later on in the day. I would have a dedicated transformer specifically built for audio at the homestead if I could. To me, it would be a "no brainer". ;)

Tom

Hello, David and good afternoon to you. I can agree. In case you missed it, I did mention;

I didn't see the WSJ article until it was posted here later on in the day. I would have a dedicated transformer specifically built for audio at the homestead if I could. To me, it would be a "no brainer". ;)

Tom

Hi Tom,

I know you mentioned it, my comment was in response to the the tone of the article. Looking for the original Japanese film interview, I'd love to see their approach to high end as opposed to ours.

david

And solar ??
Japan has next to no zoning. A house may be next to be business with lots of power hungry/noisy gear. So such a pole may have value there that it doesn't here.

That said, they are still wasting their money. Big time. What matters is not the pole next to your house but *how* the power is produced. Hydro generated power is best. Nuclear is next best (too many idle isotopes) and coal is (naturally) worse. Put up all the poles you want, buy all the fancy gears you can buy, it won't do you any good if the power comes to you polluted at the source. This is why we have the best sound in the pacific northwest. You should change your address if you want the best sound....

(...) Here's the link to original Japanese video interview, very interesting systems.

david

Could you identify the first large platter turntable?

Hi Amir
I m struggling to understand how different sources of electricity turbine drivers - hydro, nuclear, coal - affect the quality of the electricity produced by power stations or solar panels. The environmental advantages and differences are clear but why should steam produced by different fuels affect the electricity produced by the turbine generators?

Could you identify the first large platter turntable?

Looks like a Neumann lathe with the Lyrec motor modified to fit in that cabinet hiding the shaft and motor. The platter is very much a Neumann which is made in two pieces, there's the heavy lower half with the strobe markings and a top platter which for the VMS-70 was aluminum with suction. They have replaced it with some kind of dense resin platter for him but the record clamp is also exactly like Neumann's.

david

Hi Amir
I m struggling to understand how different sources of electricity turbine drivers - hydro, nuclear, coal - affect the quality of the electricity produced by power stations or solar panels. The environmental advantages and differences are clear but why should steam produced by different fuels affect the electricity produced by the turbine generators?
Hi Barry. I will answer your question with another question :). What is the title of this thread?

Amir's humor is very dry today! :p

Hi Amir

Electricity turbine drivers - hydro, nuclear, coal - use water at different pressures and temperatures. According to audiophile knowledge you should use coal generated electricity for tubes, nuclear for semiconductor class A and hydro for class B and D, in order to match the expected temperatures of the equipment active elements. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing