What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Yesterday and today....the LINN recording of Shostakovich #5 with Dmitriev/Leningrad is beautifully done, lush strings, power, quintessentially Russian brass, raw, tons of energy (in the music), etc...
this took a while to find and to arrive; glad I waited and got past the trepidations of adding "yet another #5" to the shelves!

The various Scriabin symphonies under Gergiev, Pletnev and Petrenko are some of my favorites to date,...still spinning through those today in sequence. V. Petrenko like A. Nelsons (now with the BSO in the US)
are 2 fine young conductors and I'm looking forward to their future with their respective ensembles and more recordings!

Shostakovich5LinnRecords.jpg

Scriabin1&2Gergiev.jpg

Scriabin3&4Gergiev.jpg

Scriabin3&4Petrenko.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I was not familiar with this artist, but an equipment reviewer for The Absolute Sound uses it as a reference recording, so I thought if nothing else it would sound good, and it certainly does! (It's recorded by famed engineer Peter McGrath. I did note that the piano image favors the right channel a bit, but the sound is very present and clear--a live recording.) Fortunately, the playing is wonderful too: by turns thunderingly virtuosic or poetically delicate as the music requires.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Last edited:

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Excellent sound and playing, but I just don't care for this type of music anymore.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpeg

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
L. van Beethoven: Violin Sonatas Op. 12, Nos. 1-3
This cycle from Accent on period instruments is excellent in all respects.

R-8463818-1462117373-3067.jpeg.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
A wonderful performance--quite passionate and volatile, with very good sound.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
A masterful Mike Clements recording here of a (IMO) benchmark performance:

R-7067346-1432939205-4791.jpeg.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I gave this a second listen--much more palatable than the Norgard. I used to like his music--I guess tastes change.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
A performance/recording that really immerses the listener in the genius of Bach's masterpiece like no other I know:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia

That coupling was the very first CD I ever saw, held and bought. Well, of course what is pictured is much more recent reissue of that same album. The one I bought back in '85 was one of the very first batch of "ADRM" Decca analogue to digital reissues onto the CD format. What I heard back then was truly an horrific insult to the ears and put me right off the CD format. Took me a another 7 years before I was prepared to dip my ears into the water again with the excellent Mercury reissues. But when I listen to this far more modern reissue from the very same original tapes it goes to show just how far the CD format has come (in terms of both overall remastering and production techniques and of course the playback hardware), since the reissue you've mentioned really sounds excellent.

There was never any dispute about the performances but 30 years ago it sounded like Perlman was playing a $100 Chinese Skylark violin! And a bad one at that!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
The special recording gear has certainly resulted in realistic piano sound. Good playing, too. I've heard more passionate "Appassionata" Sonata performances, though.

Bach: Toccata in C minor, BWV 911
Beethoven: Piano Sonata in F minor, Op. 57 "Appassionata"
Chopin: Nocturne Op. 48 No. 2; Etude Op. 25 No. 6; Ballade No. 4 in F minor, Op. 52
Liebermann: Gargoyles, Op. 29

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Da Capo has issued two new releases of the music of Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen following his death June 27th.

I downloaded the flac version of this one today and found it to be quite stunning. Gudmundsen-Holmgreen is the other great Danish Modernist besides Nørgård. His music juxtaposes quasi-improvisitory complexity with childlike simplicity and whimsy:

Repriser - Artwork.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Another "audiophile" recording. Sounds great and he plays wonderfully.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing