What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Amirm, are those screenshots of your computer? If so, what software do you use for your hi-res files? (I use JRiver.)

A strong Reger vibe permeates his music, a good trait in my book! Excellent playing and sound.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They are. I am running Roon and just take screen snapshots as it shows the exact album cover.

Alas, most classical lovers don't like Roon and prefer JRiver because they can organize their music in folders which Roon does not allow. For my needs where Classical is a portion of what I listen to it is fine. Here is a review I did of Roon although it has grown a lot since then: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum...er-and-library-management-software-review.18/

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
They are. I am running Roon and just take screen snapshots as it shows the exact album cover.

Alas, most classical lovers don't like Roon and prefer JRiver because they can organize their music in folders which Roon does not allow. For my needs where Classical is a portion of what I listen to it is fine. Here is a review I did of Roon although it has grown a lot since then: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum...er-and-library-management-software-review.18/

Since classical comprises 90-95% of my listening, I think I stick with JRiver!

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOY9YSjXAM[/video]

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Stellar playing and reference sound. My only complaint is the rather short (57 min) playing time--could easily have included Op.117, 118, or 119.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
On the TT: A wonderfully played and recorded LP.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
John, I know you commented on that in the past; but irregardless, today, when you listen to a suberb hybrid SACD music recording (stereo or/and mulltichannel)...how are you emotionally involved in the performance?

Now, the exact same question, but this time from an excellent music recording on a stereo (or mono) album (LP @ 45 or 33 1/3).
Is the emotional involvement different, higher, more higher, or superior?

Thx in advance. :b

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
The format matters less than the quality of the performance. I do find well recorded vinyl (from analog sources) to generally have the most realistic sound, and therefore better emotional involvement, but well recorded SACDs or hi-res files can come close--depends on the the original recording techniques. But it's the musicians that produce the most emotion in me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The format matters less than the quality of the performance. I do find well recorded vinyl (from analog sources) to generally have the most realistic sound, and therefore better emotional involvement, but well recorded SACDs or hi-res files can come close--depends on the the original recording techniques. But it's the musicians that produce the most emotion in me.

It is impossible to disagree with what you've just said.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
:D

Rakowski certainly puts the musicians through their paces in his propulsive, jazz-inflected music. Superb sound, particularly in the Piano Concerto.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Rihm. Dark and mostly lyrical. Good, if slightly distant sound.

Symphony No.1. This is a hi-res download--24bit/192khz, the same as used for the master tape, so presumably there has been no degradation. Regardless, it sounds great and is very well performed.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I finished listening to this. Wow, the Mantovani (Bruno, not the Mantovani who wrote light music!!) is very intense; so is the Dusapin. Both are very well played and recorded. All three are live recordings of the premiere, so there's a little audience noise, but it's not too intrusive.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Thanks. Streaming this through Tidal as I type this and it is delightful.

Indeed. He has plenty of power and intensity when the music calls for it, but he can also produce the most delicate, shimmering pianissimo passages, too.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Symphony No.3

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I downloaded this new release from ProStudioMasters (24 bit/96khz) today--sublime! This is an essential recording for all Rachmaninov fans.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
MI0001041373.jpg

Good stuff! I need to check out more albums in this series...

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Superb detail and soundstage to this 1981 vintage digital recording from Decca capturing a stunning performance of an amazing symphony--

Michael Tippett: Symphony No. 4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing