What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Disc 5 today. A fine recording and quite a bargain!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
A selection of Preludes and Fugues from both composers' complete sets. His playing is great, and the sound is demonstration-worthy, but I wish he had included Shostakovich's monumental 24th P&F.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just went through more than two hours of great music and a great voyage through the life of Columbus using ancient music, recitatives and text:

Jordi Savall / La Capella Reial de Catalunya / Montserrat Figueras / Hespèrion XXI - Christophorus Columbus: Paraísos Perdidos - Lost Paradises

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 58

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Johannes Brahms: Sonata for piano and cello in E minor, Op. 38

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
A recording I made in 1989 when I was a recording engineer of Alexei Sultanov and the Sacramento Symphony playing Chopin's Concerto No.2. The concert was one of Sultanov's prizes for winning the Van Cliburn Competition that year. Such a fine player and what a loss to the music world when he died at age 35 in 2005 from a stroke.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Listening to another recording I made in the 80s, this time the Melos String Quartet playing Ravel's Quartet. Wow, amazing playing, and they sound as if they are in my living room!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Poul Ruders: Piano Concerto (1994)

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Desert Island material if ever there was any--

F. J. Haydn: String Quartet in G minor, Op. 20 no. 3

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Andolink .... You keep coming up with these off the cuff labels and performances . Are these CD's or downloads ? Most interesting , keep them coming . Thanks !

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpeg

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Andolink .... You keep coming up with these off the cuff labels and performances . Are these CD's or downloads ? Most interesting , keep them coming . Thanks !

Not sure what you mean by "off the cuff" here. Quatuor Mosaïques have been setting the standard for HIP of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven for many decades and Naive (from France), likewise for many decades, have been releasing benchmark recordings of a wide variety of standard and not so standard repertoire.

The Da Capo label (see the Ruders Piano Concerto post above) has been the dominant independent record label in Denmark since the early 1980's.

I've had many of the Quatuor Mosaïques' recordings of the Haydn quartets in my CD collection for over 20 years and the ones I was missing I now have as downloads.

For the last several years most of what I've been buying is downloads in flac format just because of the convenience but my CD collection numbers around 5,500 discs so a lot of the music I post here is drawn from that.

Glad you're appreciating the stuff I'm posting about here. I'm very passionate about music and the recordings I post on various websites including this one are all ones that are special to me.

Last edited:

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
andolink;414222. said:
For the last several years most of what I've been buying is downloads in flac format just because of the convinience but my CD collection numbers around 5,500 discs so a lot of the music I post here is drawn from that.

Great--I can use this post to prove to my wife that my 3,000 CDs are not excessive! :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Not sure what you mean by "off the cuff" here. Quatuor Mosaïques have been setting the standard for HIP of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven for many decades and Naive (from France), likewise for many decades, have been releasing benchmark recordings of a wide variety of standard and not so standard repertoire.

The Da Capo label (see the Ruders Piano Concerto post above) has been the dominant independent record label in Denmark since the early 1980's.

I've had many of the Quatuor Mosaïques' recordings of the Haydn quartets in my CD collection for over 20 years and the ones I was missing I now have as downloads.

For the last several years most of what I've been buying is downloads in flac format just because of the convinience but my CD collection numbers around 5,500 discs so a lot of the music I post here is drawn from that.

Glad you're appreciating the stuff I'm posting about here. I'm very passionate about music and the recordings I post on various websites including this one are all ones that are special to me.

Maybe "off the cuff" was a wrong term , meant off tangent . The Majority of labels and performances you post are not mainstream classical , or at least not for me . Thanks again for posting , look forward to more .

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
In honor of his birthday.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
The Majority of labels and performances you post are not mainstream classical , or at least not for me .

Yup, I'm definitely not mainstream :D

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Disc 1--stunning playing, so-so mono sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing