Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declipping/Peak Limit Restoration

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar

Question Declipping/Peak Limit Restoration

I want to know whether this is something which can be done with any success. I tried a vst plugin called perfect declipper and it sucked. I've heard a few demos of the izoptope rx declipper which sounds much better to me. Has anyone figured out the best way to "restore" those lost dynamic peaks due to the loudness wars?

The problem is that there's some great music which is unlistenable due to crushed dynamics. My theory about fixing them is best explained by Bob Dylan.
    "When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose."

Michael.
    Last edited by dallasjustice; 11-26-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Banned
    I have not tested any of this but did look at the web page for perfect declipper and it goes way outside of what is possible to reconstruct the waveform. I think the right solution only attempts to restore small amount of clipping. More than that may be akin to guessing where the stock market will go tomorrow .

A side-effect of any such fix is that the levels will have to be pulled down to create enough headroom for reconstructed waveform. As such, the comparison should be done with the levels re-adjusted to be the same as the original in analog domain.

Yes. It seems like I could expect to see a -6db or so reduction. I noticed harman has the clari-fi declipper. Is that just for car stereos? Why is it pateneted?

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I have not tested any of this but did look at the web page for perfect declipper and it goes way outside of what is possible to reconstruct the waveform. I think the right solution only attempts to restore small amount of clipping. More than that may be akin to guessing where the stock market will go tomorrow .

A side-effect of any such fix is that the levels will have to be pulled down to create enough headroom for reconstructed waveform. As such, the comparison should be done with the levels re-adjusted to be the same as the original in analog domain.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

A side-effect of any such fix is that the levels will have to be pulled down to create enough headroom for reconstructed waveform.
    But when you pull the level down to create headroom you lose resolution and add quantization noise to the entire track because you have cut off the least significant bits of every sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Lin View Post
    But when you pull the level down to create headroom you lose resolution and add quantization noise to the entire track because you have cut off the least significant bits of every sample.
    If you didn't dither, that would be true. I am talking about tracks with very limited DR. So I'm not too concerned about "losing" any bits. They aren't being used anyway.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    So I'm not too concerned about "losing" any bits. They aren't being used anyway.
    Oh, really.

Oh, really.
    How much dynamic range do you have in your listening room? Have you ever used a mic to measure it?
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Banned
    Presumably the application here is on compressed soundtracks so losing resolution is the least of our worries .

Clipping is far more of a problem than resolution loss anyway.

Clipping is far more of a problem than resolution loss anyway.
    Oh, really.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    If you lost part of the waveform due to clipping, you will never get it back. Unless you went back to the original source, you (and software restoration tools) are just making a wild ass guess!
    Same with compression.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast