Which Synology NAS

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ok so after a few delays I finally have a NAS on the way the Synology DS214play diskless with 2 bay and along with it 2 WD Red 4TB hard drives to be set up in a RAID configuration.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWUQNDQ?redirect=true&ref_=ya_st_dp_summary

That's the link to the beastie as stated before the plan is to run it via lan into my modem/router, and then stream my music files via Sonos. Excited and a bit nervous about setting it up as I'm a total computer neophyte and agonized over this for the last month changing my mind about 50 times. I think I arrived at the right combo this unit seems geared towards user-friendliness and ease of use, but still will give me ample storage. Fingers crossed for setup!:cool:

Make sure it is RAID 1...
RAID 0 has NO redundancy whatsoever... One could say it has negative redundancy: If Any of the disks fails you lose ALL the data on the NAS ... ALL that is written is gone ..on all the disks ... You can reformat the HDD that did not crash and re-used them but the Data is gone ...
RAID 1 it should be or Synology version of it ...
HDD prices are plummeting: 6 TB for < $250 at Newegg and Amazon.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Make sure it is RAID 1...
RAID 0 has NO redundancy whatsoever... One could say it has negative redundancy: If Any of the disks fails you lose ALL the data on the NAS ... ALL that is written is gone ..on all the disks ... You can reformat the HDD that did not crash and re-used them but the Data is gone ...
RAID 1 it should be or Synology version of it ...
HDD prices are plummeting: 6 TB for < $250 at Newegg and Amazon.

Frantz how do I make sure that it's RAID I or 0? Or is that something I set up myself i.e. are there options available for configuring the RAID?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, once you go through their setup, they will give you choices of configuration and RAID levels is one of them.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Ok well setup was very easy got the 2 disks installed and I downloaded and installed DSM and all of the apps. However at no point was I given an option to configure RAID. I watched the youtube vid and perhaps because its a different station but my setup was just through the wizard so it looked different. When I go to storage manager from the start menu it says the RAID type is Synology Hybrid RAID but I cannot figure out how to change this. Here is an image on that screen.
2015-12-14.jpg

So far so good I haven't put any files on the drive wanted to get the RAID1 setup first, any suggestions?

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
I'm guessing I should click "Remove" ? And then it will start over? A tad nervous to click it without knowing.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Chatted with Synology support and the guy said that Hybrid Raid is the same as Raid1. Correct?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Synology says Hybrid RAID has one disk worth of protection. But in red in your interface it says it has no protection! But the capacity indicates it did use one of the drives for redundancy. Unless someone knows better, I would call them and ask what that red message is about.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
It does look like Disk 2 is sitting there as a hot-spare (that is, if disk drive 1 fails, disk drive 2 kicks in automatically). If, as you said, you have nothing on it, I would remove the config and redo it, tagging both disks.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Synology says Hybrid RAID has one disk worth of protection. But in red in your interface it says it has no protection! But the capacity indicates it did use one of the drives for redundancy. Unless someone knows better, I would call them and ask what that red message is about.

I second that ...

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
It does look like Disk 2 is sitting there as a hot-spare (that is, if disk drive 1 fails, disk drive 2 kicks in automatically). If, as you said, you have nothing on it, I would remove the config and redo it, tagging both disks.

Ok if I remove the config will it affect in anyway the data I have put on disk 1 already?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Ok if I remove the config will it affect in anyway the data I have put on disk 1 already?

Most likely ... Like losing it all ...

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Most likely ... Like losing it all ...

Crap that's a non-starter this thing is driving me crazy anyway, Sonos finds it, says it's been added but doesn't add any of the 370 GB's of music I loaded onto it. Grrrrr..

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Amirm thanks and you're right I love Sonos just was on the phone with tech support it was indeed it was seeing my network as public not private and that fixed it right away. Their tech support is great guy spend 40 mins on the phone with me checking and double checking stuff. So i will load up the NAS onto Sonos tonight, we did a test run with a few tracks and it worked great. Feeling a zen-like calm now. :)

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
So I wrote to Synology about my RAID backup issue and got this response.........
Please backup the data, remove current volume, create new Volume using quick mode and it will create proper volume lie you want it to.

Now I understand some of that but my main issue is where do I back my data up to? I don't have another storage device other than the second drive already in the NAS. I tried signing up for Amazon Glacier storage and keep getting an authentication error. I emailed Synology back but does anyone here have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing