I did it!!!!!!!! Avalon Isis

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
I just wanted to let the people know who wrote with their advise and shared their experience I was able to buy a used pair of Isis.:b:b:b A BIG thank you to all of you!!! I'm picking them up this Saturday and I'll be sure to report back on how they get along in their new room and system.

best,
Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One of 10 the best speakers on the world.

Yes, it is a great speaker. But as far as I remember it needed a lot of (good) power.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Big Congrats! Nothing like getting a dream speaker (and hopefully since its used, then at a great price as well!)...more for equipment! hehehe...congrats again and enjoy!

samgar

Jun 3, 2013
Midlothian, VA
I have owned a pair of Isis for the last 4 years and have not found any better speaker. They have a natural sound and tremendous sound stage.

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. I'm hearing mixed opinions on powering the Isis so I guess I'll have to see for myself. For now amplification will be from Bat. Rex mono-block amps and the Rex2 pre-amp. I know Steve Huntley who recently started working for Avalon used to demo the Isis with the Bat 150se amps back when he was a dealer. So this is promising news! Hoping the Bat amps can make the Isis sing in my medium size room. I wouldn't want to loose that beguiling texture/timbre of tone I now get with the Rex combo!!!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes, it is a great speaker. But as far as I remember it needed a lot of (good) power.

That's one of the reasons I didn't get a pair. I didn't have the $$ to change out the amps too! They are fine speakers though!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What? No Spectral mono blocks????

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I think with Rex amps and Rex 2 preamp, this is going to be an outstanding combination. I would love to hear sometime. Interested to hear comparisons to your prior speaker - is it similar with more bass, or different from top to bottom.

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
Hi Robert.

In time I'll be sure to get back to you with comparisons between the Eidolon Diamond vs. Isis. Thanks for your help through all this.

Best,
Tom

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I just wanted to let the people know who wrote with their advise and shared their experience I was able to buy a used pair of Isis.:b:b:b A BIG thank you to all of you!!! I'm picking them up this Saturday and I'll be sure to report back on how they get along in their new room and system.

best,
Tom

Congrats Tom! -- great speaker!

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
They're here and they are INCREDIBLE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... for now.......

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Congratulations! I knew you'd be pleased. Enjoy.

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
Congratulations! I knew you'd be pleased. Enjoy.

Hi Marus,

Pleased? My head is spinning!!!! The Bat Rex mono's are driving the heck out them! No audiophile jargon can describe what I'm hearing, it's soooooo freakin' natural and real .

Thanks Marcus

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. I'm hearing mixed opinions on powering the Isis so I guess I'll have to see for myself. For now amplification will be from Bat. Rex mono-block amps and the Rex2 pre-amp. I know Steve Huntley who recently started working for Avalon used to demo the Isis with the Bat 150se amps back when he was a dealer. So this is promising news! Hoping the Bat amps can make the Isis sing in my medium size room. I wouldn't want to loose that beguiling texture/timbre of tone I now get with the Rex combo!!!

Hi Tom!

Good for you :) Had an opportunity to hear the Isis, I believe, in Houston...great sound! Is your listening space treated?

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
Hi Tom!

Good for you :) Had an opportunity to hear the Isis, I believe, in Houston...great sound! Is your listening space treated?

Hello Sam,

Glad to hear from you! Yes, I currently have 3 ASC tube traps but I'm planning to get the DAAD traps when my funds allow. Do you still have your REX pre or did you switch to Atma?

Hope all has been well,
Tom

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hello Sam,

Glad to hear from you! Yes, I currently have 3 ASC tube traps but I'm planning to get the DAAD traps when my funds allow. Do you still have your REX pre or did you switch to Atma?

Hope all has been well,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Same here! :D

You'll have to convey your observations and tips regarding room treatment.
A friend recently swept my room and I think acoustics can be improved -- it might require a dedicated room, but that discussion is for another time...haha!

I've maintained two amplification systems...and then, some: BAT REX + VK150SE x 4, Atma-Sphere MP-1 + Silver Edition MA-1 x 4; then some -- Crane Song Avocet and Grace Design m905.
Sonny, my spouse, is incredibly indulgent with me! :cool:

Are you in TX?

Trcnet

Jun 21, 2015
Hi Tom,

Same here! :D

You'll have to convey your observations and tips regarding room treatment.
A friend recently swept my room and I think acoustics can be improved -- it might require a dedicated room, but that discussion is for another time...haha!

I've maintained two amplification systems...and then, some: BAT REX + VK150SE x 4, Atma-Sphere MP-1 + Silver Edition MA-1 x 4; then some -- Crane Song Avocet and Grace Design m905.
Sonny, my spouse, is incredibly indulgent with me! :cool:

Are you in TX?

I'm in NJ Sam. You're a lucky man to have found a partner that's open to your passion for music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing