YG getting a bad rap.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Reminds me of this old ad from the early 1990's.:cool:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?834-Museatex-it-was-a-heck-of-a-ride

Thanks for the link. The patterns underneath the marketing slogans haven't really changed much over the years. With information overload and all the different things screaming for our attention, this probably got them more auditions than a slogan like "our gear sounds natural ". It's all about breaking through the clutter...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
MEP,

So what speakers do you find attractive?

All these speakers below sound "good" (at least to some), or at least some of their models do - and you can find great reviews on them. But...
- wilsons look like post-modern darth vader figures. don't fit into traditional home. will detract from a modern, minimalist home
- nolas look boxy and traditional. definitely don't fit into modern decor.
- martin logans are butt ugly.
- soundlabs just take over the room
- magicos are like big tomb stones.......

I think all speakers are ugly. But then we can just turn out the lights if we have a dedicated listening room. If not, well, it's a compromise like I said in a post above... It's a small price to pay to have music in your life.

Caesar-To tell you the truth, I never thought about speakers being attractive or ugly until I saw the YG speakers. Just as I have never considered whether a pair of speakers would fit in with a modern decor, modern traditionalist home, traditional decor, or modern minimalist home as none of those words are in my normal vocabulary. Any man that uses those words I would expect to be either an interior decorator, a flight attendant, or a hair dresser. I have no fashion sense when it comes to home decor. And maybe your right-maybe all speakers are ugly. But if that's true, some are uglier than others. And I do think the early Martin Logans were attractive, specially the CLS series. But I must admit I am lost as to what type of decor any speaker fits into.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Magico's wood speakers look great. But the all aluminum jobs definitely aren't as easy on the eyes....as are the YG speakers. The great thing about having an automobile paint speaker is you can have paint to match---my Anthracite Zus look marvelous in my home and don't detract from my room.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Again I will say it my brothers, since I have no home decorating sensibilites and my stereo room is MY room, I don't have to worry if the wife is going to be offended. This is one room in the house that she doesn't get a vote. Sound rules over decor concerns

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
MEP,

So what speakers do you find attractive?

All these speakers below sound "good" (at least to some), or at least some of their models do - and you can find great reviews on them. But...
- wilsons look like post-modern darth vader figures. don't fit into traditional home. will detract from a modern, minimalist home
- nolas look boxy and traditional. definitely don't fit into modern decor.
- martin logans are butt ugly.
- soundlabs just take over the room
- magicos are like big tomb stones.......

I think all speakers are ugly. But then we can just turn out the lights if we have a dedicated listening room. If not, well, it's a compromise like I said in a post above... It's a small price to pay to have music in your life.

Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) Some speakers that come to my mind that are eye candy include Wilson, ML, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics and Avalon. Agree with you on the SL and one can toss Maggies into the same category. Other's that I don't get include Avant Garde and many horn speakers, and Kondo. I also think the size of the room has a big bearing on one's reaction to a speaker eg. I think the Wilsons in a big room might give a different feeling than a small room. I think that ML tend to fit into large and small size rooms :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think the Morel Fat Lady's look pretty darn nice, but then again I'm not a woman

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
LOL at some of these comments! A sense of good design is not a male/female thing. I think that most large speakers look crappy in living areas. But the benefits definitely outweigh the burdens!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar-To tell you the truth, I never thought about speakers being attractive or ugly until I saw the YG speakers. Just as I have never considered whether a pair of speakers would fit in with a modern decor, modern traditionalist home, traditional decor, or modern minimalist home as none of those words are in my normal vocabulary. Any man that uses those words I would expect to be either an interior decorator, a flight attendant, or a hair dresser. I have no fashion sense when it comes to home decor. And maybe your right-maybe all speakers are ugly. But if that's true, some are uglier than others. And I do think the early Martin Logans were attractive, specially the CLS series. But I must admit I am lost as to what type of decor any speaker fits into.

Mep,

I am married with a kid. And I am not employed in any of the professions you mention. I just happen to admire great design. Great design moves my soul like great music or great art. And it only applies to modern/ contemporary designs for me. I think all traditional homes are butt ugly as we are no longer living in the 1800's.

But this is personal taste like choosing between 2 brands of cars or picking an audio brand...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think Magico's wood speakers look great. But the all aluminum jobs definitely aren't as easy on the eyes....as are the YG speakers. The great thing about having an automobile paint speaker is you can have paint to match---my Anthracite Zus look marvelous in my home and don't detract from my room.

I do like the looks of the mini 2, but it's gone! or can only be found used.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Caesar-I am glad you appreciate the fine nuances of architechture design and style. And I would agree that the majority of houses have no real soul to them unless they are haunted. I live in a 3000 sq. ft. souless house that is decorated in early animal destruction style. The only room in the entire house that has been unaffected by animals is my listening room where no animals are allowed. I have 3 dogs (Stewie, Vinnie, and Maggie) that share their own bedroom. My wife insists on having a twin bed in their room for them to sleep on as well as using as a vantage point to look out the windows and bark anytime something passes by. I think we are on the fourth mattress as the dogs eventually decide to eat the mattress. We are currently in need of the fifth mattress. Most of my woodwork in the kitchen and great room needs to be replaced because Vinnie goes crazy if he looks out in the yard and sees a raccoon and he chews up the woodwork. So worrying about whether speakers fit in with my "decor" is just out the window for me.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One of those big horns sitting in the corner of the room can be beautiful if you like the sound it makes.

Industrial Design is not to be underrated, and I love the look of my Martin Logan Aerius speakers.

The speaker I just drew up has curves despite a simple rectangle being much easier to build. It's got to be sexy or it is not worth the effort to me.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
George,
I once owned and loved a pair of the ML Aerius and I dug the way they looked too.

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think black anodized Anats would look nice with the Tenor hybrids. Come to think of it I think Anats do look better in black period but I think I prefer the Carmels in silver. It's a size thing for me.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You are right. The blacks look substantially better. I wonder why they only use the standard aluminum one in their ads and shows?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing