What speakers have you heard that have most Gorgeous, Lifelike Tonality?

caesar

May 30, 2010
They can suck at everything else, but must get tonality right.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Where do you come up with these questions?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Hello Caesar,
If you are going to be north of Seattle, contact me in advance for "Gorgeous, Lifelike, Tonality".
The session would be the first 15 minutes blindfolded & please NO posting of the components on the net.
The speakers & crossovers are my "build" from components that I have researched & assembled. Some parts I totally built [e.g. crossovers, mid-range] & some heavily modified.
zz.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They can suck at everything else, but must get tonality right.

It is one of the things I admire in the Wilson XLF when properly positioned - the human voice has an excellent tonality, on par with best panels such as the Quad ESL63 or ML CLS.

It was an amazing experience. Some people were moving the speakers towards the speaker wall in 2" intervals and suddenly at a specific position the tonality of the voice was perfect, very natural. Unfortunately I never got the same perfection with the Alexia's. They have very good tonality, but IMHO not comparable to the XLF.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
The older WE large horns hit my tonal sweetspot. Newer speakers to do it include the OMA line and the Tannoy Prestige line. There are a couple of others I think would also do but I haven't heard them.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I would vote the Apogee ribbon speakers of yore. Still my tonality favorites, especially those that can be driven with tubes. I still have my re-ribboned Stage speakers in Santa Cruz, can drive them with 50 watt Wavac, sound great.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Zu Audio Definitions 4. Full range drivers 40Hz-11kHz, w/no x'over in the middle to suck the life out of this critical frequency spectrum of the human voice, w/Radian supertweeter incorp'g Duelund caps to 20kHz, and downfiring Lundahl transformer-based Hypex sub amps to 16Hz in-room, 101dB/1W eff.
This combination of no crossover (just a Duelund cap and resistor in the high-pass and low-pass filter networks) and SET-friendly efficiency, means that partnering w/appropriate SETs results in the best tonal integrity and density I've yet heard (listened in detail to AG Duos horns, ProAcs Futures 1's, Rockport Hyperions, Wilson Maxx's, Martin Logan SL3's), the music just drips w/tone and emotion, total listener involvement.
I listen to a lot of live jazz, usually piano/vocals, and some small combos, in small venues, and a little live classical too, and on returning to the Zus, I feel they get a lot of that live jazz vibe, mainly thru saturated tonal colours.
Zu's in the past, and within my system, have fallen down a little on s'staging and imaging, and bass integration had occas been an issue, but the Lundahls and Duelunds have supercharged them on these fronts, and the spooky synergy w/my Nat SETs is to die for.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would vote the Apogee ribbon speakers of yore. Still my tonality favorites, especially those that can be driven with tubes. I still have my re-ribboned Stage speakers in Santa Cruz, can drive them with 50 watt Wavac, sound great.

Good call...and interesting that you own Analysis Audio speakers which i understand are the current day interpretation of the Apogee design concept. How are they different from the Apogee Stages or equivalent Apogees of old? Most curious as you own both!!!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Good call...and interesting that you own Analysis Audio speakers which i understand are the current day interpretation of the Apogee design concept. How are they different from the Apogee Stages or equivalent Apogees of old? Most curious as you own both!!!

I have heard Carl's speakers and are quite amazing!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If by gorgeous, lifelike tonality it means that kind of bold midrange sound that you can literally feel on your skin because it vibrates the hairs on your arms then I would say speakers with large paper woofers like the bigger Tannoys. When next in Japan, I intend to see what the boys at Kenrick sound are up to.

It's certainly an enjoyable experience when tone and texture is so over the top good as to make you not care about stuff like soundstages and image specificity because your brain gets pushed to focus on the tactile and not the now more usual visual translations. In fact this is precisely my goal for our planned vacation place' system. I still haven't figured out what I'll put in there but the plan is to shoot for "big tone" as opposed to "holographic". I want the polar opposite. Trends being what they are, with the majority of manufacturers skewed towards imaging and transparency, looks like I'll be looking for the pieces in vintage or vintage inspired product niches.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If by gorgeous, lifelike tonality it means that kind of bold midrange sound that you can literally feel on your skin because it vibrates the hairs on your arms then I would say speakers with large paper woofers like the bigger Tannoys. When next in Japan, I intend to see what the boys at Kenrick sound are up to.

It's certainly an enjoyable experience when tone and texture is so over the top good as to make you not care about stuff like soundstages and image specificity because your brain gets pushed to focus on the tactile and not the now more usual visual translations. In fact this is precisely my goal for our planned vacation place' system. I still haven't figured out what I'll put in there but the plan is to shoot for "big tone" as opposed to "holographic". I want the polar opposite. Trends being what they are, with the majority of manufacturers skewed towards imaging and transparency, looks like I'll be looking for the pieces in vintage or vintage inspired product niches.

I looked for years you're not going to get that type of sound from any modern speaker, the ingredients just don't exist anymore. No one is making those beautiful large, light, efficient woofers and the lovely resonant cabinets of yesterday are a lost art. Contrary to popular belief the best vintage speakers are more holographic with solid images that no modern speaker I heard can touch. Your ML2s will bring them to life!

Happy hunting,
david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Ralph Krebs ( Cessaro ) makes some gorgeous sounding speakers, they aren't coloured like the vintage stuff, but fast dynamic, extended treble, they are thoroughly modern , but extremely easy and a pleasure to listen to.
Keith

Everything is colored Keith just in different ways.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My wife and I are going to Kenrick Sound on Tuesday.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm just 4 hours away Ron. :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jack, I know! I just sent you a private message.

David, Thank you! I am looking forward to hearing the speakers at Kenrick.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing