Golden Gate DAC arrives.

Thank you for the sit-rep wisnon, I was aware of the redesign of the board, I had meant modification in the context of circuit design rather than to existing modules. We can but wait and see whether brainstorming any of Blizzards recommendations may result in future development, It is refreshing to see such consideration of third party ideas on their merit rather than Regarded as outside interference and ignored, a trait in Lukasz to be admired.

Sure, Lukasz seems to consider everything. However, he is a busy bee and hard to get a hold of sometimes.

Whenever I get thru, I try to ask about all this stuff and he and his team are always trying new stuff. i am sure he will test out all this stuff in due time, but like everyone, will have to set priorities.

Right now he has apparently nailed down his latest (affordable) headdac design, after winning best in show for sound at the Warsaw Canjam. AlRainbow from here has had his HDac rebuilt and will hear it when he gets back to NYC this weekend. Lots of new tweaks went in, plus the new PCM, of course.

Blizzard's clocjk mod makes intuitive sense to try out, but what the afctual upside will be is unclear, given that it may not be the lowest hanging fruit. Why do I say that? Well i heard the Server playing AO upconverted PCM to DSD256 feeding bughead and hardware tweaks were the LAST thing on my mind then. When hit with reel to reel quality, my find flashed to SOFTWARE optimization immediately. This is with what Blizz considers inferior USB protocol and inferior Amanero clock. It was so alarmingly good that I realized there and then that there is more to extract even without costly hardware mods and transport redesigns.

Last edited:
Blizzard,

It has been my observation that most arguments around here lately seem to involve you.

Yeah not sure why people are so against low noise and jitter.

You are just repeating your arguments in a circular way, avoiding my main argument - it is your unknown and non described experience and that of unknown DIY people.
IMHO you are using the jitter argument as a miraculous cure, exactly the same way some people use the argument of minimizing distortion or noise.

My point is that results you obtained in other equipment in non reported conditions are not forcefully transposed to all other similar equipment. The people from Lampizator are not ordinary DIY moders. They have large experience with the product, they had the opportunity to listen to it in many SOTA systems around the world, and a known background. Until we have their opinion I think there is no reason to carry a change that invalidates warranties and involves soldering.

If your advice was just a simple swap reversible in ten seconds, such as a tube swap, that can be done and reverted how long I we wish, I would not be so conservative - I also enjoy tuning.

We had a similar affair in the SoundLab forum years ago concerning the back plates. A few DIY modifiers started modifying the standard crossovers, optimizing it to their specif systems. Although the modification had some good consequences, it also had a few problems with some amplifiers - they could result in abundant smoke emission in some cases! :D Roger West, the Soundlab onwer and designer, tested the mods, become aware of what could be improved in his own design, and later incorporated the results of this research in a new development - the Tooroid II. Surely I was one the first people to ask for it, as soon as it got the official approval seal.

I hope that soon we will have the opinion of Lampizator people on these matters. Perhaps they will agree with you and offer an option similar to your advice, who knows?

Clock mods are not the same as mods anywhere else on the DAC. The USB interface is seperate from the DAC altogether. Improving it, is only going to improve the sound. Just like improving the computer feeding it improves the sound. You guys just don't understand how the DAC works, or else you would be all over this (warranty worries aside)

Balanced is available (and will cost more...doubled part count) and as I said its not a mod, its a rebuild. Ladder PCM is the default standard now for new builds.

Sure I spoke to Luk about the clock upgrade and in principle, he agrees it would not hurt...just as I said. better clocks, whats not to like? The issue that I kept repeating is that this mod has a cost and NOONE knows the upside it can bring, not least someone who has never heard a B7 or GG Dac. That is my first point. my second is that for amateur people like me, even replacing a stock Amanero was a fretful task I dont ever wish to repeat. I dont have fancy heat blower tools like I saw in that video posted on Vimeo, just basic solder tools.

So for Lampi to stock a $500 part or spend more on a bunch of new inventory for unproven gains , when there are log hanging software and FPGA control gains to be had would not be the wisest thing, but its not my call. I am just a curious bystander who chose to challenge extravagant claims here....especially when the claimant says things like NO bespoke firmware and I KNOW that NOT to be true.

Blizz is often over-reaching in his zeal. Its been months that he has been threatening to do his digital build to blow all else out of the water. I rather he start a thread about that and give us updates, instead of thread-crapping here on a product he never heard or used and his experience is limited to internet photos.

Even the Chinese guys who make $1100 DAC's upgrade the stock Amanero. You guys need to wake up. Lukasz's tube output stage doesn't make the DAC immune to jitter. He has to obide by all the same rules as every other manufacturer, when it comes to jitter, to get better jitter performance.

It's hard to understand how something can be better without hearing it first. Some people think the Bose wave radio is the holy grail. You need to experience lower jitter, then take it away. This is when you really notice.

Clock mods are not the same as mods anywhere else on the DAC. The USB interface is seperate from the DAC altogether. Improving it, is only going to improve the sound. Just like improving the computer feeding it improves the sound. You guys just don't understand how the DAC works, or else you would be all over this (warranty worries aside)

Can't you comment on audio issues without insults? Probably some of us know very well how a DAC works and have conscience that we still do not know a lot about audio systems, and know a clock has a real hardware implementation, with all the characteristics associated to digital circuits, admitting that changing a clock circuit can produce secondary effects in the sound of the system.

The only dogma in digital is that bits are bits - everything else seems open and must be confirmed by ears.

Can't you comment on audio issues without insults? Probably some of us know very well how a DAC works and have conscience that we still do not know a lot about audio systems, and know a clock has a real hardware implementation, with all the characteristics associated to digital circuits, admitting that changing a clock circuit can produce secondary effects in the sound of the system.

The only dogma in digital is that bits are bits - everything else seems open and must be confirmed by ears.

It wasn't an insult, just an observation. If you can find 1 DAC manufacturer who will say using lower jitter clocks degrade audio performance, please share. Most DAC manufacturers go through great lengths to eliminate Jitter. If the solution was just a matter of popping a $50 off the shelf USB interface in the box and calling it a day, it would sure save a lot of time, expense and headaches. And as I said before, a 1 bit chipless DSD system are even more sensitive to jitter than chip based systems. There's absolutely no means of jitter reduction in the design. This is why it's so important to use extremely low jitter clocks.

Last edited:
There are so many contradictory statements in your post above that I wont even bother...

There are so many contradictory statements in your post above that I wont even bother...

I'm sorry if my style of explaining things doesn't compute in your mind. It's funny that when knowledgeable people from the DAC business read it, it's 100% clear as a bell.

Ok, this encapsulates the frustrations of modern day, online communication. Blizzard descends on this thread and other digital ones like a snowstorm LOL, extolling the virtues of a concept that it appears 100% of digital guys would approve of, but isn't included as standard, or as an option, on Lampi gear, and then pretty much expresses his exasperation that people don't get it, or are not prepared to do the "simple" work themselves, to get it done, and boost an exceptional-sounding product to being even more exceptional.
And of course argument and counter-argument ensue, Blizz proving his tenacity in not being put in his place. And the guys who feel he's stepping on their sensiblities, feel more and more sensitive. I've been there, done that, on many a WBF thread.
FWIW, surely it's commendable that Blizz imparts this info. Mark my words, Lampi will probably have this as standard at a future date not too far away if Lucasz can get a moment in his schedule.
But surely at this point, Blizz has made public his ideas, the naysayers and anxious-to-tinker have expressed their doubts, and now it's time to get back to the unit itself.
Or am I missing something?

Ok, this encapsulates the frustrations of modern day, online communication. Blizzard descends on this thread and other digital ones like a snowstorm LOL, extolling the virtues of a concept that it appears 100% of digital guys would approve of, but isn't included as standard, or as an option, on Lampi gear, and then pretty much expresses his exasperation that people don't get it, or are not prepared to do the "simple" work themselves, to get it done, and boost an exceptional-sounding product to being even more exceptional.
And of course argument and counter-argument ensue, Blizz proving his tenacity in not being put in his place. And the guys who feel he's stepping on their sensiblities, feel more and more sensitive. I've been there, done that, on many a WBF thread.
FWIW, surely it's commendable that Blizz imparts this info. Mark my words, Lampi will probably have this as standard at a future date not too far away if Lucasz can get a moment in his schedule.
But surely at this point, Blizz has made public his ideas, the naysayers and anxious-to-tinker have expressed their doubts, and now it's time to get back to the unit itself.
Or am I missing something?

As I do not recognize myself as a member of the bolded group, I will answer to your spirituous points. 99.99% of the digital guys will tell you that the modification presented has no consequence in sound quality, as its measurable effects are too low to be audible. The Skeptics will tell that it is just a promotional trick to justify more expensive equipment. IMHO it is why this modification is being debated here and not in the WBF measurement section. It seems that the only place where it shows interest is in the thread interesting mainly a group of people who love so much sound quality that they use strange techniques, sometimes using old noisy fashioned devices, to listen to digital in their systems. Can you imagine that some of these people even claim to prefer the measurably and scientifically inferior DSD to the more perfect PCM HiRez? ;)

I appreciate your good will, but IMHO applying amateurish kindergarten psychological methods to smooth debates never had success in forums.

Perhaps Lucasz will consider, test and implement this modification, even perfecting it. The use of expensive, low phase noise clocks is not a new subject. But until now it was never validated per se.

Last edited:
As I do not recognize myself as a member of the bolded group, I will answer to your spirituous points. 99.99% of the digital guys will tell you that the modification presented has no consequence in sound quality, as its measurable effects are too low to be audible. The Skeptics will tell that it is just a promotional trick to justify more expensive equipment. IMHO it is why this modification is being debated here and not in the WBF measurement section. It seems that the only place where it shows interest is in the thread interesting mainly a group of people who love so much sound quality that they use strange techniques, sometimes using old noisy fashioned devices, to listen to digital in their systems. Can you imagine that some of these people even claim to prefer the measurably and scientifically inferior DSD to the more perfect PCM HiRez? ;)

I appreciate your good will, but IMHO applying amateurish kindergarten psychological methods to smooth debates never had success in forums.

Perhaps Lucasz will consider, test and implement this modification, even perfecting it. The use of expensive, low phase noise clocks is not a new subject. But until now it was never validated per se.

What's your take on a few $ worth of parts, and a shiny new lid doubling the price of the B7? I suppose this reclocker would add another $15000 to the price of the GG.

On the website this is what's listed for upgrades. But we need to remember, that the parts used in the B7 in the place of these parts weren't free.

" 1.Silver WBT solder used throughout

2.Furutech IEC inlet AC socket

3.WBT gold / silver RCA output sockets

4.Furutech RCA digital input

5.ATOM Vishay first capacitor after the tube

6.Mundorf M-Lytic HV electrolytes in second stage of PSU

7.Mundorf Foil MKP capacitors in third stage of power supply just before the tube anode

8.Metal-Film laser cut resistor MLT in Anode Load

9.Teflon sockets for all 3 tubes

10.Output capacitors are the huge Jupiter-Copper 1uF caps, bypassed by Duelund Pure Silver caps. Yes, a hybrid, best of both worlds, supposedly beating even pure silver one-cap solution.

11.All wiring is 26 GA stranded silver in teflon

12.Rectifier tube is Emission Labs monstrous Mesh Plate 5U4G

13.Music Tubes are Wester Electric Replica 101D / Metal base Psvane

14.Digital input SPDIF capacitor is Jupiter Wax Copper 100nF

15.Packing in a special customized stage case

16.Chassis / box is made of pure copper stamped and powder clearcoated for 100 years of immaculate shine. Copper provides also head dissipation and the best EM shielding possible.

17.A set of ceramic / steel roller-block feet supports the DAC"

Last edited:

Micro, I'm glad you appreciate my good will. The purpose of my post was not to smooth over anything, in an amateurish kindergarden psychological method, or any other method (personally, I thought I was being quite sophisticated LOL). It was just a world weary observation. You guys can keep knocking each other over the head w/blocks of concrete as much as you like. It was really an overview of how comments from Blizz which he purports are just put out there to help people achieve better sound easily have had the opposite effect on many including y'self.

I´m the new guy in this neighbourhood so I will tread with light feet...Personally I don´t see an insult anywhere on Blizzard´s post and some of you are making a meal or more likely a banquet out of a simple suggestion to improve a product that has been nothing but constantly improved since its inception. Lukasz himself started out modding or "Lampizing" gear and there is nothing offensive in what Blizzard is proposing which is exactly to lampize a Lampizator DAC, he is not pointing a gun at anyone to force them to do the mod, merely suggesting an easy (for him) and inexpensive way to improve sound quality which is what we´re all pursuing in the end. Yes, it´s not easy on the ear to be told your expensive, state of the art, best in the world, can´t imagine sounding better, boutique parts galore DAC has a cheap Amanero implementation that can be easily bettered, but the reality is it will be bettered because that is the Lampizator spirit.

I want to state that I´m a huge fan of Lukasz and his work and do not intend to offend anyone, I´d love to own a Golden Gate and if I did, I would welcome Blizzard´s suggestions and surely run them past Lukasz.

It's nice to see that some people understand that the reason I'm posting this is to educate people, and to help them get the best out of their gear. There's no conspiracy theory here.

But after studying the Lampi gear further, I'm seriously considering starting a Lampi mod service. For $2000, I'll turn a DSD lite 7, into a GG killer! This is the kind of stuff is that drives innovation forward!

You really should try HQplayer resampling all PCM to DSD 256. I don't think any PCM DAC can beat this technique regardless of price. You can't do better with a DAC than just having a simple lowpass filter. HQplayer does better SRC/SDM than any SDM/SRC built into DAC chips. When you combine the 2 systems, it's hard to beat.

But if you want the holy grail, install this reclocker board with ultra low phase noise clocks on it. This will launch it through the stratosphere. The GG just uses a plain old Amanero with mediocre clocks on it. With pure 1 bit DSD, the quality of the clocks become much more important. 1 bit data is very sensitive to jitter. This reclocker board reclocks the master clock, and filters out any noise coming from the connected computer. The best part is you can choose the quality of clock you want to use to feed straight into the low pass DSD filter in the Amanero. It's not hard to install. He has a version made exactly for the Amanero used in the GG.

The $485 is fully assembled including the Amanero. Since you have a Amanero already, it would be cheaper. He sells the PCB's for only $35 for anyone who can SMD solder.

https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/home

2CH USB-I2S/DSD Audio Module-AKU384

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb.html

View attachment 23560

"High frequency Rogers board"

-HiRes, Bit-Perfect 32bits I2S - 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, 192k, 352.8k and 384k
-DSD 64,128,256 and 512
-Based on Amanero and AKL-S03 Digital Isolator/Re-Clocker
-Dual Ultra-low Phase Noise Synchronous Audio Clocks
-Buffered Outputs on micro coax (u.fl) headers
-Direct connection to most DACs
-Drives ESS DACs in 'Turbo' Sync mode for the highest performance.
-All separate ultra-low noise (1uV rms) power supply and filters on board with very high PSSR
-Ultra pure 3.3V supply (<0.5uV rms noise) for Oscillator section. Options for external supply from batteries, etc
-I2C Port for reading sample rates directly from transport
-Led sample rate indicators on-board.
-Wide input supply 5-12V d.c. Regulated or unregulated
-Gold plated 2oz Rogers 4003 board
-Selection of finest components
-Assembled and tested

- built-to-order only ~4wks lead time

Unit Price: USD 485

So, at $2k minus this $485, your work will cost $1515 - sounds good for what you say is just a couple of moment's work. Pile 'em high until Lucasz fits this as standard.

It's nice to see that some people understand that the reason I'm posting this is to educate people, and to help them get the best out of their gear. There's no conspiracy theory here.

But after studying the Lampi gear further, I'm seriously considering starting a Lampi mod service. For $2000, I'll turn a DSD lite 7, into a GG killer! This is the kind of stuff is that drives innovation forward!

Lol. You obviously won't since you would have the obstacle of Lukasz signing off on your $2000 mod and thereby devaluing the brand. Alas I don't fancy your chances.

In all seriousness though, I would take up Wisnon on his suggestion of merely setting up a business agreed with Lampi to install the pimped up Anamero - all kosher and no warranty invalidated.

I must say you do appear to have an inquisitive mind and relentless tenacity so I can see you succeeding, maybe you could start an ask Dr. Blizzard thread and advise your fellow forum members on how to improve their DAC´s :) starting with my LH Labs Pulse XFI :)

He ain't touching my humble, beloved Eera Tentation cdp LOL.

I must say you do appear to have an inquisitive mind and relentless tenacity so I can see you succeeding, maybe you could start an ask Dr. Blizzard thread and advise your fellow forum members on how to improve their DAC´s :) starting with my LH Labs Pulse XFI :)

The thing about the Lampi's is they are super easy to mod. This is because they were designed by a modder. Other DAC's that have all SMT components, nested tightly on a single PCB, are much harder to mod. But this is a good thing. I like the modular, easily upgradable design of the Lampi's. It keeps them from being disposable.

If I do decide to start this service, I would make a fresh 5 year warranty on the complete DAC once the mod is preformed. So people can stop worrying about warranty.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing