Vacuum tube audio transformers

bitencrypt

Mar 25, 2015
Hi

Is it possible to use vacuum tubes in place of the input transformer for a power supply, to remove all inductors from the circuit?
Is it possible to use a vacuum tube in place of the audio transformer on a pair of electrostatic speakers?

regards

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

Is it possible to use vacuum tubes in place of the input transformer for a power supply, to remove all inductors from the circuit?
Is it possible to use a vacuum tube in place of the audio transformer on a pair of electrostatic speakers?

regards

This sounds like something for 'Atmasphere' a member here...you might try to PM him from here. Good luck.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1 to pinging Atmashpere.

Replacing the input transformer requires a special type of power supply circuit, like a switching design, and somehow you have to generate heater (filament) power from the line to get the switching circuit working. Strikes me as very challenging and I would not do it. However, using tube rectifiers in place of SS diodes after the input transformer works.

A number of us have built and/or used direct-drive ESL designs that bypass the output transformer and modulate the HV directly. Fairly easy but I have often questioned if the results were worth it. You must also have a decent knowledge of electronics as high voltages and lots of energy are involved. I do not know for sure but suspect they will not sound as good after you are dead from shock received during the rework...

BTW, there are OTL (output-transformer-less) tube designs for preamps and power amps that work with conventional speakers as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing