Do we really all hear the same

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now what would be interesting regarding those friends who say "all sounds the same to me" and can't carry songs; can they hear when harmony/melody/some instruments played out of key?
I am assuming they should notice that pretty quickly, so a lot of it comes down to level of critical interest, a friend of mine comes from a very musical family (two brothers trained in piano/saxophone and his parents also have a background with music-singing) and he is happy listening to music through his laptop using connected mini speakers and just shrugs regarding subjective qualitative/satisfaction differences.
Probably like your friends he is not critical of my own purchasing commitment to audio, but is indifferent to it.

Cheers
Orb

Oh a couple of the boys LOVE to sing! They just can't! LOL. It's all good fun since they DO make up for it with stage presence LOL. Anyway it is an awfully small sample size. I'm inclined to think that they may indeed not be able to detect something flat or sharp. In Karaoke theres a melody to follow. Either they can't hear how off they are or they aren't really listening, maybe both. :D

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Oh a couple of the boys LOVE to sing! They just can't! LOL. It's all good fun since they DO make up for it with stage presence LOL. Anyway it is an awfully small sample size. I'm inclined to think that they may indeed not be able to detect something flat or sharp. In Karaoke theres a melody to follow. Either they can't hear how off they are or they aren't really listening, maybe both. :D

LOL :D
Cheers
Orb

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
I had the same concern until I took the test and realized it is completely different. The training is not to teach you what is good or bad speaker. The training involves hearing a coloration and precisely identifying. This is no different than a mechanic knowing what sound to listen for in the engine to know if there are any issues there.

I have taken the blind preference test (different than the training test above) and both times have voted the same as larger population that have tested such tests which included all walks of life

So this post got me reading interviews with Kevin Voecks, which lead to reading reviews of Revel speakers, which lead to finding a dealer and auditioning.

There is a pair of M106 bookshelf speakers in my (hopefully near) future, followed by a matching B110 or 112 sub.

I'm not so naïve as to pretend that only Harman utilizes blind testing or does substantial research, but what they do really works, and in the price range I don't think I've found anything better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing