Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nuff said!

Conrete Block.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I'm with you there...That still doesn't temper my lust for an HRS rack with a Herzan...;)

the Herzan would be compromised by the HRS passive rack. the Herzan is optimized with a grounded rack with mass. the more grounded and solid and the more mass the better. as far as aesthetics that is a different issue.

what you can do in theory is place an HRS on top of the right Herzan; but i'm not sure why you would do it. you want the Herzan as close to it's target gear as possible so it can deal with airborne resonance. no passive device can deal with airborne resonance....other than an enclosure, wall or door.....they can block the resonance but not neutralize it like the Herzan.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
the Herzan would be compromised by the HRS passive rack. the Herzan is optimized with a grounded rack with mass. the more grounded and solid and the more mass the better. as far as aesthetics that is a different issue.

what you can do in theory is place an HRS on top of the right Herzan; but i'm not sure why you would do it. you want the Herzan as close to it's target gear as possible so it can deal with airborne resonance. no passive device can deal with airborne resonance....other than an enclosure, wall or door.....they can block the resonance but not neutralize it like the Herzan.
That is what I do. My af1 TT has a custom hrs shelf with dished area's for the plinth feet and motor feet. The af1 will not fit on a ts140 without it as it is too wide. The hrs shelf feet do fit on the Herzan. It works well.

Attachments

• TS-140_MG_9394.jpg
    TS-140_MG_9394.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 728

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Frank I almost did a double take, my friend has similar Shunyata and ARC ref gear but uses a Pagode rack with full compliment of cera pucks etc.

He also has two matching amp stands.

It's very well built yet remains looking more like furniture than something you would see in an industrial setting.

I use a Grand Prix Audio rack with Monaco supports,somehow I got a one off piece with the foam leg inserts. I guess it's pretty in it's own way.

It was the first and most likely the last true audio rack that I will own.

It was the second stage of my 3 point attack on sound.

The first was upgrading the electrical delivery from the panel to the gear(ongoing).

The third has been professional room tuning devices from ASC and GIK.

Last edited:

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
A real piece of art! Think the shelfless one should be hard to beat.

Yes, the acrylic shelf sounds slow compared to the Grid shelf, even without the Ultra SS on the Grid.

John

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Adona makes some less expensive racks than Mike's which would preferable to the VTI, and for only a little more money. Their actual prices are less than what is posted on their website.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Mine is a DIY 300 pounds rack made of - steel - wood - and granite - it is only two shelves but that is all i needed, keep it simple.:)

Chord Duo 01.JPG

Chord Duo 02.JPG

Chord Duo 03.JPG

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
That is one solid looking rack! Have you ever tried stillpoints / Finite elements pucks or so under you equipment?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
image.jpg

My experience with racks suggests that HRS can fundamentally improve your system. I would have never guessed the degree of improvement in imaging, soundstage, bass presnetation. The music has greater foundation. I've also owned the Finite Element rack and while very good the HRS is a step up from that in performance in my system.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
View attachment 19146

My experience with racks suggests that HRS can fundamentally improve your system. I would have never guessed the degree of improvement in imaging, soundstage, bass presnetation. The music has greater foundation. I've also owned the Finite Element rack and while very good the HRS is a step up from that in performance in my system.

Serious racks for serious gear.:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 19146

Congrats and very interesting feedback on Finite Elemente v HRS in your system. I have never tried FE though have heard systems that use it. I really like all the HRS stuff i've got and would not change it...other than perhaps for full-on HRS system. That said, i know some really love the Herzans active isolators, and also the Silent Running Audio stuff.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
View attachment 19146

Ralph,

Looks great and it sounds fantastic. Thx for hosting us last weekend!

Mike

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Shun Mook rack, or a normal wood rack with Shun Mooks diamond resonators will beat most of these 8k - 15k racks, IMO

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing